• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blacksilverfan12
    replied
    Originally posted by bigtime39 View Post
    Two questions:
    Why is this poll in "current events" rather than the Yankees forum?
    Where is the option that says "he doesn't play for my team, therefore I don't care where he pitches"?
    I created this thread shortly after Hank's comments, therefore I found it relevant

Leave a comment:

• bigtime39
    replied
    Two questions:
    Why is this poll in "current events" rather than the Yankees forum?
    Where is the option that says "he doesn't play for my team, therefore I don't care where he pitches"?

Leave a comment:

• Gaedel4HOF
    replied
    I vote reliever. He looked great in the 8th last night, but bad in the 9th. I know that's an extremely small sample size, but I still think he's at his best in one-inning roles, likely being able to handle two as he matures. It would take time to get him stretched out enough to go six, and I have no idea how he would look the second and the third time through the order. He'll also likely lose some velocity as he racks up innings over the year. Stick with the outstanding 1-2 punch in the 8th-9th, and groom Joba as Mariano's successor.

Leave a comment:

• dbacksfan95
    replied
    he should definitely be a starter. he is too good for a releiver but based on yankee starters, I think he should be a starter because their starting pitcher rotation is just pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    What I didn't understand was since they have a seasonal innings limit on him, they couldn't move him into the rotation now even if they wanted to, without him exceeding the limit before the season ends (unless he pitches so horribly). What would they do then, send him back to the pen when he's approaching that number?...

If they think he can be an effective (let alone, great) starter, they should groom him and find out sooner than later, maybe after the All Star break - especially if Hughes and Kennedy continue their troubles. Assuming he's successful, the more innings he pitches, the more valuable he is. If he doesn't excel, there's always the pen to fall back on. It seems like a win-win, best case scenario, you have a young ace. Worst case scenario, you have an in-house heir to Mariano whom the face are already endeared to. Were they to bring in some random FA when Mo eventually goes, he'd be crucified if he got off to a bad start, nobody wants to replace Rivera, Joba has already earned the adoration of the Yankee fans, so it would be easier for him to fill Mo's shoes than it would be for an outsider.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Joba was a starter of course. I think in the long run he should be one. If they want him to be a starter this season, it just can't be at once.

Or they are sending him down to the minors or they let him pitch more innings, but let him build it up.

Just my :twocents:

Leave a comment:

• Imgran
    replied
    Curt Schilling
    Fausto Carmona
    Johan Santana
    Derek Lowe
    Nolan Ryan.

These are examples of great starters who started their career with a year or two in the bullpen first. Some of them made very, very bad relievers but Derek Lowe started off as an effective inning-chewing closer and relief ace. I don't see where any of them suffered for starting off with a few seasons in the bullpen, do you?

Leave a comment:

• jwkfs
    replied
    When I saw this scrolling along the bottom of ESPN every minute for three days, two things ran through my mind:

1) Why does this internal Yankee crap need to be reported like it's national news?

2) For how much longer will this young kid be throwing 98mph+ if you throw him out there for >80 pitches every 5th day?

Hank has to be a moron.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
    I think the difference is how ready they are

Johan had 343 IP in the minors

Liriano had 494

and Joba has 88.1 + around 200 in college.
    Wasn't Job a starter in college and in the minor leagues, though? I really don't understand this idea that transitioning him to the starting role would be so tramatic that it could ruin him? That sounds like hyperbole to me.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Starter, but next season, not this season.

I don't think it's wise to remove him from the role he's currently in until the end of the season. I don't like making a pitcher a starter to reliever or reliever to starter in the middle of the season.

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    and Rivera is 38....one of these days he won't have it

Leave a comment:

• wardawg
    replied
    The Yankee's need to remeber that you need a good to great pitcher to get from the starter to Rivera.

Leave a comment:

• blacksilverfan12
    replied
    I know Rivera will be around for awhile, but I think Joba would be a great closer if Rivera got hurt or something

Leave a comment:

• sturg1dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    It shouldn't take that long perhaps by mid season at the most. In '06 Francisco Liriano started the season as a reliever but by mid May was in the starting rotation. The Twins did the same thing with Johan Santana in 2002-03. If the Twins can do it with two stud pitchers why not the Yankees?
    I think the difference is how ready they are

Johan had 343 IP in the minors

Liriano had 494

and Joba has 88.1 + around 200 in college.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
    Hank says some of the dumbest things, and I thought it was going to get boreing after George steped down.

they would have to prepare him for the rotation anyway and that's going to take time and that's not going to help the Yanks current pitching situration. So why rush him into the rotation and risk injury and possibley loseing out on a young pitcher with great stuff for good?
    It shouldn't take that long perhaps by mid season at the most. In '06 Francisco Liriano started the season as a reliever but by mid May was in the starting rotation. The Twins did the same thing with Johan Santana in 2002-03. If the Twins can do it with two stud pitchers why not the Yankees?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X