Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where do Barry Bonds threads go now that he isn't playing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • where do Barry Bonds threads go now that he isn't playing

    I ask because I have a classic article that I found that is a good read.

    if you don't want to think about race and Barry Bonds and baseball then don't read it.


    link
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  • #2
    replace "bonds" and "kent" and the article is still about perception and race relations as much as anything else.
    i believe that it ougtta remain in current events.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

    Comment


    • #3
      Considering Bonds next meaningful appearance may be before "twelve men, tied and true" maybe we need a Legal forum.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, how about Jail for starters. Thats where you or I would go for lieing to a grand jury.
        "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

        Comment


        • #5
          Perhaps in the History Forum, given he is seemingly "history" as a player

          Seriously though I would have thought that Bonds is part of a 'big picture' involving steroids/drugs in Baseball, and as that is still a current issue I guess it is still part of the Current Events Forum.
          "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

          No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

          Comment


          • #6
            i hear if you trade in a barry bonds thread into a clinic they'll give you a clean player to make a new thread about

            Comment


            • #7
              He's an active free agent. Still belongs here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                I ask because I have a classic article that I found that is a good read.

                if you don't want to think about race and Barry Bonds and baseball then don't read it.


                link
                Not that Salon could be guilty of bias, could that be. Type in Barry Bonds in that search box and review all the one sided articles in the archives, all slanted in favor of Barry.

                Joan Walsh, King Kaufman and Allan Berra all come to Barry's rescue time and time again, in past articles. All of the history of Salon's past casts some doubt of their being objective in particular the one article, Bonds/Kent that we are advised to look at that one being by Walsh. Don't take my word for it, do as I did, consider the source, go to the source with an open mind and see if there is a pattern.
                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-25-2008, 05:58 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                  Not that Salon could be guilty of bias, could that be. Type in Barry Bonds in that search box and review all the one sided articles in the archives, all slanted in favor of Barry.

                  Joan Walsh, King Kaufman and Allan Berra all come to Barry's rescue time and time again, in past articles. All of the history of Salon's past casts some doubt of their being objective in particular the one article, Bonds/Kent that we are advised to look at that one being by Walsh. Don't take my word for it, do as I did, consider the source, go to the source with an open mind and see if there is a pattern.
                  Right, because there is even less anti-Bonds articles, threads and whatever else than there are pro-Barry threads. Just looking on this very forum alone, one would be quite hard-pressed because all of three writers haven't just thrown Bonds to the lions. The strangest word here is objective. Sacred, precious, convenient history.

                  I forgot, Bonds is the only player who used. Him and Clemens. only they can take any heat for a problem that is largely being ignored in terms of how widespread it is. Which is the most unfortunate thing of all out of this.

                  Bonds has not retired. Bonds still has an agent and there is rumbling after rambling about where he might go. He's still very much in line with this forum.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                    Right, because there is even less anti-Bonds articles, threads and whatever else than there are pro-Barry threads. Just looking on this very forum alone, one would be quite hard-pressed because all of three writers haven't just thrown Bonds to the lions. The strangest word here is objective. Sacred, precious, convenient history.

                    I forgot, Bonds is the only player who used. Him and Clemens. only they can take any heat for a problem that is largely being ignored in terms of how widespread it is. Which is the most unfortunate thing of all out of this.

                    Bonds has not retired. Bonds still has an agent and there is rumbling after rambling about where he might go. He's still very much in line with this forum.
                    That is certainly true, they are not alone but it's the same old story, the bigger the man, the bigger the story. Certainly their accomplishments in the game is one of the reasons they have that big target on their backs, unfair but thats just the way it is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                      That is certainly true, they are not alone but it's the same old story, the bigger the man, the bigger the story. Certainly their accomplishments in the game is one of the reasons they have that big target on their backs, unfair but thats just the way it is.
                      It may be the way it is, but it doesn't excuse the singular vitriol. Society's ills can't be legitimately blamed on one man. Nor can baseball's. There are so many parties complicit of this scandal it's beyond unfair to act as if Bonds is the end-all be-all of all of this. And a man who's likely far more responsible for how widespread steroids got is treated as a hero? Oh, he didn't break any precious, sacred blessed records, so it's ok that he pushed steroids at x amount of players. But Canseco is merely a cog in all of this, so I can't rag on him too much.
                      And it doesn't matter that steroids have been prevalent in athletics for years before Bonds and Balco crossed paths and hundreds upon hundreds of players over the past two decades have used, with a league and team executives knowing full well what was going on. How could they not have, Olympians were getting tossed left and right who were too stupid or too arrogant to believe there would be implications. But, that all gets a pass, because as long as there is a target to lock on for irrational hatred, why actually pay attention to anything that is really going on.

                      If it's ok to be unfair . . .
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        It may be the way it is, but it doesn't excuse the singular vitriol. Society's ills can't be legitimately blamed on one man. Nor can baseball's. There are so many parties complicit of this scandal it's beyond unfair to act as if Bonds is the end-all be-all of all of this. And a man who's likely far more responsible for how widespread steroids got is treated as a hero? Oh, he didn't break any precious, sacred blessed records, so it's ok that he pushed steroids at x amount of players. But Canseco is merely a cog in all of this, so I can't rag on him too much.
                        And it doesn't matter that steroids have been prevalent in athletics for years before Bonds and Balco crossed paths and hundreds upon hundreds of players over the past two decades have used, with a league and team executives knowing full well what was going on. How could they not have, Olympians were getting tossed left and right who were too stupid or too arrogant to believe there would be implications. But, that all gets a pass, because as long as there is a target to lock on for irrational hatred, why actually pay attention to anything that is really going on.

                        If it's ok to be unfair . . .
                        Agree 100 percent, that is why I closed with, it's unfair but thats just the way it is. Don't be mislead by my words " thats just the way it is", not uncaring, stateing a fact, a fact that certainly troubles me, I don't like that fact either. Many things in all walks of life are judged that way. And I do agree, it's not, never is OK to be unfair.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                          Agree 100 percent, that is why I closed with, it's unfair but thats just the way it is. Don't be mislead by my words " thats just the way it is", not uncaring, stateing a fact, a fact that certainly troubles me, I don't like that fact either. Many things in all walks of life are judged that way. And I do agree, it's not, never is OK to be unfair.
                          I got you. I didn't think you were saying it is right for it to be that way, but it is indeed a sad truth.

                          By no means am I condoning what Bonds did or am trying to defend him. I do think those who have been branded as Bonds defenders on this site just want him treated fairly in compared to the actual issue as well as those who are just as guilty, if not moreso, as he is.

                          Sorry, folks. Didn't mean to get sidetracked. This thread was started with an honest question, not really an invitation to continue the indictment against him, which has to happen no matter what the topic is, it seems. But, from one CE mod's viewpoint, Bonds matters are still current events.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            shoelessjoe3: ...it's the same old story, the bigger the man, the bigger the story.

                            "the medium is the message"

                            what the media do with a story is their business; what we do with it, ours.
                            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                              shoelessjoe3: ...it's the same old story, the bigger the man, the bigger the story.

                              "the medium is the message"

                              what the media do with a story is their business; what we do with it, ours.
                              I hear ya WCOB, just making the point, what the media can do and unfortunate some in the public live by that. I can see why Steve Carlton gave the reporters the silent treatment for years.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X