Curtain calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain calls

Watching the Mets game now... Carlos Delgado smashed his 2nd home run of the day. First off Smoltz, now off of Will Ohman. Crowd really wanted a curtain call, but Delgado didn't acknowledge them. Do the players owe it to the fans to at least poke their head out of the dugout and wave their hand? Afterall... with the season he has had thus far he should have.

So whatcha think? Players should acknowledge them for a curtain call?
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

The same crowd that booed him less than three days ago? I think not.

Comment

Watching the same game, thought he should have did something......Ask Ted Williams about this one!
      39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
      2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

i usually don't care about curtain calls...they just get on my nerves when the Yankees or Red Sox go on a tear and hit a bunch of home runs in the process...then they have at least one every game and I hate that!
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
          The same crowd that booed him less than three days ago? I think not.
          Yeah exactly. But still... they didn't boo him which is a shock.

Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
          Ask Ted Williams about this one!
          ??

Comment

and now reading the actual posts I realize I commented on something separate from the actual discussion...oh well

yeah, a player should not have to give curtain calls. Roger Maris had to be forced to give one, and Ted Williams never gave one.
            "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by AutographCollector View Post

Hypothetically, if one of his teammates ridiculed him when he was slumping, and then wanted a high five after his performance today, should he give him one? It's the same thing.

Comment

??
                The Boston crowd booed Williams once early on, and even since that moment he never tiped his hat, did a curtain call or aknowledged the crowd for the rest of his career! Kind of a jerky move by williams but he could be a jerk!

to tell you the truth I think Yanks do Curtain calls to much now, Maris had to be forced out when he hit 61!
                39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Who cares? Delgado is a stiff and shouldn't even be on the team. He may have had a hot day today but he'll disappear in a couple of days.
                  "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Watching the Mets game now... Carlos Delgado smashed his 2nd home run of the day. First off Smoltz, now off of Will Ohman. Crowd really wanted a curtain call, but Delgado didn't acknowledge them. Do the players owe it to the fans to at least poke their head out of the dugout and wave their hand? Afterall... with the season he has had thus far he should have.

So whatcha think? Players should acknowledge them for a curtain call?
                    Good question. We really don't like him and today he told every Met fan to eff off. If he wants to do that it's fine, he has every right to. But the reason he's going to paid 20,000,000 dollors this year is beacause of us. You don't like being booed ? Tough nuts.
                    On another level, I think he has set a bad tone for the clubhouse, in which he is the acknowledged leader. He's setting up an 'us against them' mentality. That's not good.
                    It should make all Met fans thankful that Julio Franco's aged wisdom saved 7 years of NY/Beltran friction. Delgado, the most veteran player on the team really could have used the guidence of the more vetran Franco today.
                    He should have acknowledged the fans.
                    Every player should acknowledge the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                      Who cares? Delgado is a stiff and shouldn't even be on the team. He may have had a hot day today but he'll disappear in a couple of days.
                      Another positive post from you I see?

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                      It should make all Met fans thankful that Julio Franco's aged wisdom saved 7 years of NY/Beltran friction.
                      2006: Franco had to literally push Beltran out of the dugout for a curtain call at Shea.

Comment

Another positive post from you I see?
                        It's the truth.
                        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Last edited by Pere; 04-27-2008, 08:14 PM. Reason: reconsidered

Comment

It would be fine with me if I never saw another curtain call on a baseball field again.

Comment

Frank Thomas smacked a first pitch fastball for a Grand Slam back at the beginning of April, and the SkyDome went absolutley bananas. The crowd went nuts when he hit the ball, and just got louder and louder until he came out for the curtain call. It was one of the most thrilling experiences I've had at a ballgame in a long time, on of those moments that give you chills up your spine. If the Hurt hadn't come out to acknowledge the fans, it would have been a major let down.

So yes, I'm all for the curtain call.
                              WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X