Clear All

• lovethegame
    replied
    I hope cheaper free agents mean cheaper seats but never happen
    Look out if Cuban buys the Cubs he'll spend

Leave a comment:

• Cubsfan97
    replied
    Not that I have anything against Zito, but Id like to see him get worse, as well with a couple other huge contract players (witht he exception or Soriano!) Maybe if more huge contract players start flopping like Zito, it will shy teams away from signing them and therefore bring back down the price of free agents! Course, that is only a fantasy, and prolly wont happen.

Leave a comment:

• CROM
    replied
    This situation isnt similar to the Braves and Hampton. the Rockies and the Marlins payed the lions share of Hamptons contract. the Braves are only recently responsible for Hamtons full salary. at least with injuries a team may be eligible for some relief from insurance. The giants will be paying Zitos full contract unless they somehow trade him and eat 75% of his contract which i cant see happening. This is a risk teams take when giving contracts to free agents at these prices. You win some and you lose some and as of right now the Giants lost big time.

Leave a comment:

• Goo64
    replied
    This reminds me of the Braves and Hampton...lol. We are never gonna live the Hampton thing down. I was just curious, because I'm not a huge follower of Zito, how has his velocity declined per year since he was dominating? Has anyone looked into his off season training regiment? Is it possible that maybe he isn't doing the right thing to generate the power? Is it possible that he has all this money and doesn't think he has to work to maintain speed? I don't think he is old enough to lose like 10 mph off his fastball...his curve is sill amazing, he just doesn't have the fastball to compliment so it isn't as effective. Just thought I'd play the deevil's advocate and throw the idea out that maybe his off field and off season practices are to blame?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by plask_stirlac View Post
    Well as long as Sabean and Zito aren't deliberately tanking, they're doing their jobs and it mostly hurts the Giants' payroll but they can probably afford it without hardship. Yes, the fans are disappointed but if Zito is this bad in earnest, then it's just bad hurling of a sphere.

I'm just saying Zito was right to take the money whether he throws 93 with movement (2002?) or because of physical lack of ability he throws 80 on a line (now) for in-game BP.

True. Outside of losing a little leeway with other signings, a bad signing is mostly just that.

He was absolutely well-within his rights to ask for such a high contract, he had a bit of notoriety for being such a free spirit, was a good pitcher for Oakland and had some name recognition and the Giants wouldn't have offered him what they would have if they didn't think he could bring something to the table.

It very well could go down as the worst FA signing in history. The Giants coouldn't have expected this and I'm sure a competitor like Zito has to hate every minute of this.

Leave a comment:

• plask_stirlac
    replied
    Well as long as Sabean and Zito aren't deliberately tanking, they're doing their jobs and it mostly hurts the Giants' payroll but they can probably afford it without hardship. Yes, the fans are disappointed but if Zito is this bad in earnest, then it's just bad hurling of a sphere.

I'm just saying Zito was right to take the money whether he throws 93 with movement (2002?) or because of physical lack of ability he throws 80 on a line (now) for in-game BP.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by plask_stirlac View Post
    Zito's not a victim or a villain.

He's just a young lefty who never hits the DL and got a Cy Young when he wasn't even the best pitcher. So he cashed in.

Sabean isn't a villain, either. It's a bad baseball move but nobody though it would be this bad. If he had signed a 4-year deal it would still be a collar-puller. Zito was the kind of pitcher they needed with the young guys, but not too old himself, and with the Bay and the NL and the park you'd think he'd have BETTER numbers at first (unless he lost it).

But nobody's hurt by the Giants spending money. Maybe their winning chances but it's just a game.

It's not a game for Sabean or Zito, it's their livelihoods. Just like anyone else with their jobs. Except no one else pays any attention to the burger flipper in Fresno or the quality analyst in Dayton.

Leave a comment:

• plask_stirlac
    replied
    Zito's not a victim or a villain.

He's just a young lefty who never hits the DL and got a Cy Young when he wasn't even the best pitcher. So he cashed in.

Sabean isn't a villain, either. It's a bad baseball move but nobody though it would be this bad. If he had signed a 4-year deal it would still be a collar-puller. Zito was the kind of pitcher they needed with the young guys, but not too old himself, and with the Bay and the NL and the park you'd think he'd have BETTER numbers at first (unless he lost it).

But nobody's hurt by the Giants spending money. Maybe their winning chances but it's just a game.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    Just scrap what I have said. I have read it over, and was talking crap dudes. Sorry! I am tired, thats all.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Originally posted by stejay View Post
    He wasn't a victim, you just have to see both sides to the story. He didn't deserve the money, and isn't even a shadow of what he could be. But they didn't have to pay him the money, and signing him may have got his hopes up, and given very high expectations, which aren't right.
    Zito and his agent were asking for the contract he received. How exactly would his hopes have been risen by the Giants giving Zito a contract Zito's agent and Zito wanted in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• whoisonit
    replied
    What do you mean?
    I mean:

Is your pity party for Zito a goof, or are you cucu for coco puffs ?

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    What do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• whoisonit
    replied
    He didn't deserve the money, and isn't even a shadow of what he could be. But they didn't have to pay him the money, and signing him may have got his hopes up, and given very high expectations, which aren't right.
    Excuse me, I'm not being rude, but I had to rub my eyes a few times and re-read what you wrote a few times. Each time my reaction was the same;

Is this a put on or are you out of your mind ?

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    He wasn't a victim, you just have to see both sides to the story. He didn't deserve the money, and isn't even a shadow of what he could be. But they didn't have to pay him the money, and signing him may have got his hopes up, and given very high expectations, which aren't right.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    Buddy, they didn't have to pay it, did they? No one held a gun to their heads.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X