CORRECT* 2008 Cy Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OleMissCub View Post
    I keep waiting for the bubble to burst on Volquez, but man, he is looking fantastic lately.

Only problem is......he's managed by Dusty Baker. So the MLB should prepare itself for the young death of another pitching phenom i.e. Mark Prior.
    What I find amazing is that two players involved in a trade have their photos on this page.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/stats/index.jsp
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
      Well, to make my case more for Edinson Volquez, he has a 1.23 ERA compared to Webb's 1.98 ERA. Webb has 1 more K than Volquez but has pitched 11.2 IP more which isn't really Volquez's fault since he started the season as the #4 starter.

Felix Hernandez has had a pretty good year so far. 2-1 with a 2.22 ERA, leading the AL in Ks with 41 and a 1.23 WHIP.
      Volquez is 4-1
      Webb is 6-0, and by the end of today, he will be 7-0
      "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by dbacksfan95 View Post
        Volquez is 4-1
        Webb is 6-0, and by the end of today, he will be 7-0
        Records are not a good way to judge pitching. Aaron Harang pitches for the same team, has a 2.98 ERA and is 1-4. Not often you see a pitcher in the month of April have a sub-3 ERA and 4 losses. Volquez's one loss was when the Reds scored ZERO runs. Hard to win when your team doesn't score.
        Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-03-2008, 05:02 PM.
        Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Records are not a good way to judge pitching. Aaron Harang pitches for the same team, has a 2.98 ERA and is 1-4. Not often you see a pitcher in the month of April have a sub-3 ERA and 4 losses. Volquez's one loss was when the Reds scored ZERO runs. Hard to win when your team doesn't score.
          well just watch webb if you don't like his 7-0 record
          you'll see
          "I swing big, with everything I've got. I hit big or I miss big. I like to live as big as I can." - Babe Ruth

Comment

well just watch webb if you don't like his 7-0 record
            you'll see
            I saw him Opening Day and I know he is a GREAT GREAT pitcher but Volquez has been just a little better this year. Webb's ERA is about twice as high as Volquez's. If you go by record, then Wang is better than Lee this year which would be hard to believe since Lee has a sub-1 ERA compared to Wang's 3 ERA.
            Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I saw him Opening Day and I know he is a GREAT GREAT pitcher but Volquez has been just a little better this year. Webb's ERA is about twice as high as Volquez's. If you go by record, then Wang is better than Lee this year which would be hard to believe since Lee has a sub-1 ERA compared to Wang's 3 ERA.
              I agree with the Lee>Wang thing but Webb's record is almost twice as high as Volquez's

Comment

I saw him Opening Day and I know he is a GREAT GREAT pitcher but Volquez has been just a little better this year. Webb's ERA is about twice as high as Volquez's.
                But Volquez doesn't play for the Dbacks!!!
                sigpic

Comment

But Volquez isn't 7-0!!!

Comment

But Volquez isn't 7-0!!!
                    Wins don't mean everything.

23 of the last 50 Cy Young winners DIDN'T lead their league in wins.

Look, I think Webb is going to win it this year, but don't discount someone who IS pitching better just because they have less wins right now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cliff Lee.

[turning blue]

CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissCub View Post
                        I keep waiting for the bubble to burst on Volquez, but man, he is looking fantastic lately.

Only problem is......he's managed by Dusty Baker. So the MLB should prepare itself for the young death of another pitching phenom i.e. Mark Prior.
                        I'm starting to think that the way the entire team is playing is going to have an effect on Volquez and start a big let down.

Originally posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
                        Cliff Lee.

[turning blue]

Pitching Rules in Ohio.

I was just reviewing Volquez's games and he could be 6-0 if it wasn't for some rain in Pittsburgh and a dropped fly ball by Corey Patterson.
                        Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Guys, why argue with Dbacks fan? He gave the criteria you have to use to determine your own vote at the end of his first post...

But, yeah, dude - Wins rule! Everybody knows they'd rather have Aaron Cook than Johan Santana...
                          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Wow, it's pretty amazing that Peavy still doesn't have any votes. I think that says how tough the competition is in the NL Cy Young race, and also tells you how highly people think of Webb.

I voted for Bedard & Haren...but it was really close between Haren/Peavy.
                            "Candlestick made me a man" -Will Clark

"Real Giants fans loved them BEFORE and AFTER Barry Bonds came along"

Comment

Where's Ervin Santana in this poll? His WHIP is freaking amazing .878, 6-0, 38k's, 2.02 ERA.
                              20001999199819961978197719621961195819561953195219511950194919471943194119391938193719361932192819271923

Comment

Originally posted by BaseballRookie View Post
                                Where's Ervin Santana in this poll? His WHIP is freaking amazing .878, 6-0, 38k's, 2.02 ERA.
                                He's a write-in. With so many options this early players do get forgotten. Making a poll this large is easy until you do one.

If the thread creator would like anyone added, just let me know.
                                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X