Cliff Lee	7.4	5	0	0.96	32
    Ervin Santana	4.3	6	0	2.02	38
    Zack Greinke	2.0	3	1	1.47	28

NL
                    CYP
    Edinson Volquez	3.4	4	1	1.27	42
    Brandon Webb	3.4	7	0	2.49	37
    Carlos Zambrano	3.4	5	1	1.8	38
    Last edited by Zagi-CRO; 05-07-2008, 08:13 AM.
    The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

Webb & Gavin Floyd.
      http://www.buffsscriptures.com/wordofbuff/

Comment

Originally posted by Zagi-CRO View Post
        We can laugh, the best season's pitchers today are:

Code:
        AL 
                        CYP
        Cliff Lee	7.4	5	0	0.96	32
        Ervin Santana	4.3	6	0	2.02	38
        Zack Greinke	2.0	3	1	1.47	28

NL
                        CYP
        Edinson Volquez	3.4	4	1	1.27	42
        Brandon Webb	3.4	7	0	2.49	37
        Carlos Zambrano	3.4	5	1	1.8	38
        The AL is certainly a "well I'll be..." thing, but the NL isn't shocking except for Volquez.
        sigpic

Comment

There is one problem for me to vote too.. were in EARLY MAY. There have been roughly 40 ballgames played.. OUT OF 162. I'm not voting for a Cy Young in May...
          Texas Ranger Baseball 2008.. :applaud:

Comment

There is no way you can vote against a guy with 52 Ks (1st in MLB) and a 1.06 ERA (1st in NL, 2nd in MLB). And this guy is going to get his 5th win (2nd in NL, 5th in MLB)
            Last edited by redlegsfan21; 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM.
            Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
              There is no way you can vote against a guy with 52 Ks (1st in MLB) and a 1.06 ERA (1st in NL, 2nd in MLB). And this guy is going to get his 5th win (2nd in NL, 5th in MLB)
              Being a Ranger fan, I've watched Volquez pitch several times. I honestly don't see him continuing this dominate trend. No way this sub-par pitcher can become a Cy Young winner over the course of a couple months. I guess time will be the answer to that though.
              Texas Ranger Baseball 2008.. :applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rangers View Post
                Being a Ranger fan, I've watched Volquez pitch several times. I honestly don't see him continuing this dominate trend. No way this sub-par pitcher can become a Cy Young winner over the course of a couple months. I guess time will be the answer to that though.
                But, being a ranger fan as well, I watched him pitch in the minors a lot. And, when he was on his game, he was, hands down, one of the most dominant pitchers I had ever seen pitch.

When his stuff was on, it was nasty. I predict that when all is said and done, he will be a Cy Young Award Winner before his career is over.
                Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.

Comment

Greg Maddux went from 6-14 with a 5.61 ERA to 18-8 with 3.18. It's certainly possible.

Today was the first game where I've watched Volquez for an entire game. His stuff is so freakish nasty.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's certainly possible if you have a catcher who calls a great game and that is Paul Bako. He is by far the best game-caller I have seen on the Reds in it seems like forever. Even Aaron Harang has improved greatly with Bako behind the plate. I always expected Harang's ERA to be around 3.50 (at least in Cincy) but before yesterday, he was below 3.00. Plus, Mario Soto has been working exclusively with Volquez and Cueto and Soto had some pretty nasty stuff.
                    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissCub View Post
                      The AL is certainly a "well I'll be..." thing, but the NL isn't shocking except for Volquez.
                      Volquez won again! It's a total surprise!
                      Like Josh Hamilton in the Rangers lineup. Excellent beginning in the major.
                      Code:
                      CYP
                      8.4	Cliff Lee	Indians	6	0	0.81
                      4.3	Ervin Santana	Angels	6	0	2.02
                      2.8	Zack Greinke	Royals	4	1	1.8
                      1.7	Shaun Marcum	Blu J	4	2	2.59
                      1.3	Joe Saunders	Angels	6	0	2.61

5.2	Edinson Volquez	Reds	5	1	1.06
                      3.4	Brandon Webb	Diam	7	0	2.49
                      3.4	Carlos Zambrano	Cubs	5	1	1.8
                      2.5	Jake Peavy	Padres	4	1	2.22
                      2.2	Tim Lincecum	Giants	3	1	1.41
                      It's too early for the predicting Cy winner, but it's interesting to see who are candidates now.
                      Obviously, E.Santana, Greinke, Marcum, Saunders can't be on this pace later.
                      Last edited by Zagi-CRO; 05-08-2008, 02:19 AM.
                      The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh View Post
                        Guys, why argue with Dbacks fan? He gave the criteria you have to use to determine your own vote at the end of his first post...

But, yeah, dude - Wins rule! Everybody knows they'd rather have Aaron Cook than Johan Santana...
                        There is a good chance if Santana spent his career with the Rockies that he wouldn't even be in this poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                          There is a good chance if Santana spent his career with the Rockies that he wouldn't even be in this poll.
                          Just as much chance as Santana going 40-0 if that were to actually be the case.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Tonight's homework: Re-read the chapter on "sample size."

I assume you guys are accepting trades offers of Cliff Lee for Johan in your fantasy leagues?...

NL CYA: I can be pretty darn sure it's going to be Webb, Santana, or Peavy. Why, because they are the unequivocal three best pitchers in the league.

So, yes Volquez has been great, Cliff Lee too. David Wright is hitting like .250, Papi like .238... It's rather early.
                            THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              Just as much chance as Santana going 40-0 if that were to actually be the case.

Not even a close comparision.

Rockies get 20% more contact at home so I figure that the opponents have to be getting at least 13-15% more contact. It's a lot tougher to pitch here for a few seasons then 1-3 times a season. We've only had 2 big name ptichers here in their prime, Hampton(before injuries) and Kile(all star before & after Rockies) and they both got hammered here.

Like I said, there is a good chance if Santana pitched here he wouldn't be getting all the fame, praise and awards that he recieves now, as with any other pitcher. A helluva better chance then going 40-0 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh View Post
                                Tonight's homework: Re-read the chapter on "sample size."

I assume you guys are accepting trades offers of Cliff Lee for Johan in your fantasy leagues?...

NL CYA: I can be pretty darn sure it's going to be Webb, Santana, or Peavy. Why, because they are the unequivocal three best pitchers in the league.

So, yes Volquez has been great, Cliff Lee too. David Wright is hitting like .250, Papi like .238... It's rather early.

Not only very small sample size, it's like some fans don't recognize that a winning percentage in the 60's is darn good for any pitcher.

6-4
                                12-8
                                24-16
                                48-32
                                96-64

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X