Micah Owings the real deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micah Owings the real deal?

Last night D-Back's pitcher Micah Owings pinch hit in the bottom of the 6th inning and hit two run opposite field HR. On the way to work this morning I was listening to Jim Rome he was going on and on about Owens. He even played an interview with the D-Back's manager Bob Melvin. According to Melvin Owning and Mark Reynolds have the most raw power of all the D-Backs. So I checked out Ownings college and minor league stats.

Here is his full line.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...h-Owings.shtml

Some highlights. His stats listed for his college hitting he hit:

'04 Ga Tech (63 G)
    .318/.394/.549, 16 HR, 64 RBI, 65 R, 15 doubles, 30 BB, 70 K

'05 Tulane (64 G)
    .355/.470/.719, 18 HR, 63 RBI, 61 R, 19 doubles, 52 BB, 72 K

In 61 minor league ABs he hit .377/.381/.525, 1 HR, 14 RBI, 9 R, 6 doubles, 0 BB, 18 K.

In '07 he had 60 major league ABs and hit .333/.349/.683, 4 HR, 15 RBI, 9 R, 7 doubles, 2 BB, 16 K.

So far in '08 in 20 ABs, he's hitting .421/.450/.632.

I have one question. When are major leagure pitchers going to start throwing some breaking balls to Owings?

Obviously it's too soon to say whether Owings is really a major league quality hitter. His BB/K is very poor which would suggest a somewhat limited hitter.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

When will pitchers start throwing him breaking balls?

As soon as they set their egos aside, and allow themselves to get another PITCHER out with a breaking ball instead of a fastball.

In other words.... not anytime soon.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X