Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle1
    replied
    Well, I think ol' Richie had to take a stand in that particular situation, and so he did. You never want to see a fight of course, but I can't say that I really criticise him.

:twocents:

:atthepc

Last edited by Seattle1; 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NYMets523
    replied
    Throwing the helmet is excessive.

Leave a comment:

• Wade8813
    replied
    I'm not saying players should throw their helmet, but so what if he did? I'm pretty sure you can inflict way more damage with a good punch than by throwing the helmet.

Leave a comment:

• Stumanji
    replied
    Originally posted by insanefishpossay View Post
    A tad bit high? I think he should get at least 10-15 for charging the mound and throwing his helmet at the pitcher in response to a pitch that was over the plate..
    Um... no. It doesn't matter where the pitch went. Sexson should get 10-15 games for throwing his helmet. I don't care if he gets plunked in the ribs, ankle, earhole -- anywhere.

Batters should never throw their bats or helmet at the pitcher, and no one on the field should kick with their cleats. Go old school fisticuffs and just brawl it out, don't be a pansy. Sexson didn't need to throw his helmet.

However, I can understand why he charged the mound.

Leave a comment:

• blacksilverfan12
    replied
    Sexson's suspension was reduced to 5 games
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280510108

Leave a comment:

• blacksilverfan12
    replied
    Originally posted by insanefishpossay View Post
    A tad bit high? I think he should get at least 10-15 for charging the mound and throwing his helmet at the pitcher in response to a pitch that was over the plate..

If Richie Sexson thought that pitch was in danger of hitting his head, perhaps that explains why he hasn't been able to bat his weight for the last two seasons.
    I didn't think that anywhere near his head either. But when you have a ball anywhere near your head, I can see how you could overreact

Leave a comment:

• insanefishpossay
    replied
    Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
    Supposedly his 2yearold son is in the hospital, maybe some pent up emotions got the best of him. 6 games seems maybe a tad bit high, but about right.

If Richie Sexson thought that pitch was in danger of hitting his head, perhaps that explains why he hasn't been able to bat his weight for the last two seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Supposedly his 2yearold son is in the hospital, maybe some pent up emotions got the best of him. 6 games seems maybe a tad bit high, but about right.

Leave a comment:

• KingNothing13
    replied
    Six games for Richie.

Appealed, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Wade8813
    replied
    It didn't look that far inside, but apparently Sexson went to the plate expecting some sort of retaliation, and would have been fine as long as it was away from his head. His argument is that he's 6'8", so it should be easy to hit him in the back or elbow. The announcers seemed fairly certain that it was intentional on the pitchers' part.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• redlegsfan21
    replied
    That was funny to see Bradley carry Laird.

Leave a comment:

• KingNothing13
    replied
    Sexson should get a nice long suspension for throwing his helmet at the pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• UnderPressure
    replied
    Maybe next time, Sexson should throw the bat instead of the helmet at the pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    sexson's charge was probably because of the earlier plunkings of laird and kinsler, and he took the high pitch to be a purpose pitch. but although high, it was barely inside.
    easy from here, true, but sexson lost it without good cause.
    Yeah, Sexson was, IMO, overzealous. The pitch didn't seem to be very far in at all. It's a moment's decision though, ya know....

I didn't see Felix hit Laird, but I didn't think the Kinsler one was intentional, even though Kinsler had homered of him in the previous AB. I think Felix had Kinsler 0-1 at the time too. Felix was wild all night, he walked three in the first two innings. He was also frustrated he gave up a lot of hits on 2 strike counts. BTW, composure is Felix's biggest problem. It looks like after a tough call, or a batter hitting a good pitch hard, he's inclined to try to overthrow.

The team also has to be frustrated with the way they've been playing. At the time Sexson was hit, they hadn't score for, I believe 18 innings, and only once in the last 28. Sexson's struggling again. The tension had to be building in that dugout. That's not an excuse, but what happened wasn't particularly surprising.

Leave a comment:

• BenHertz
    replied
    Laird and Kinsler get hit in the elbows and they think it was intentional? And then Sexson gets thrown a high fastball, not even close to his head, and charges. What a bunch of idiots!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X