Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I've never heard of a 5-tool pitcher, either. My guess would be:

-Power fastball (equivalent to power for a hitter)
    -Control (equivalent to a great contact hitter)
    -Has 4 great pitches
    -Fielding
    -Workhorse
    Power Fastball for Maddux? Are you kidding?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      I've never heard of a 5-tool pitcher, either. My guess would be:

-Power fastball (equivalent to power for a hitter)
      -Control (equivalent to a great contact hitter)
      -Has 4 great pitches
      -Fielding
      -Workhorse
      You could even take out "has 4 great pitchers" and add some batting skills instead, a good hitting pitcher is never bad for a team.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
        You have to go all the way back to 1963 when Spahn won his 350th game, shutting out the Chicago Cubs on the final day of the season.
        Putting the cap on his last great season.
        And before that, all the way back to April 17th, 1927, when Pete Alexander beat the Cincinnati Reds 2-1 to win #350.
        That really puts it in proper perspective.
        So that's only three times in the last 81 years that a player has won this many games. And we know Clemens was using steroids for a significant portion of his career, and wouldn't have had a prayer at 350 without them.

Damned impressive. Congrats to one of the top few greatest to ever pitch.

In my mind, perhaps the greatest of them all.
        Well put, sir. In all particulars.
        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Maddux is certainly having a very respectable decline phase. If he had a team with any kind of offense he would have a chance at passing Spahn and reaching 5th place in all-time wins.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Maddux is a true pitcher who has been able to get it done for a long long time. We really have to appreciate this milestone because this is a statistic that we may never see reached again.
            ChasingRecords - The Home of NY Sports Talk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moses Fleetwood-Walker View Post
              congrats to a legend! Maddux is the man. Rename the CYA to the GMA!!!
              If the Cy Young Award's name will be changed, it be changed to the Walter Johnson Award.
              "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Shocking that he actually made an error in this game, very un-Maddux.

What an effort though.

Comment

I don't know about all of the Maddux > Clemens talk. I've always been a bigger Maddux fan than I was of Clemens but I pretty much recognize that Clemens is better than Maddux. Not even sure what the heck a "five tool pitcher" is, heh. Anyway, a great accomplishment indeed.
                  Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                  In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Originally posted by ReignInBlood View Post
                    You could even take out "has 4 great pitchers" and add some batting skills instead, a good hitting pitcher is never bad for a team.
                    Unless he's in the AL.
                    Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                    In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

cardsfanatic: I don't know about all of the Maddux > Clemens talk.

the supposition by many is that maddux did not use.
                      i would not wager on that.
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
                        If the Cy Young Award's name will be changed, it be changed to the Walter Johnson Award.
                        Depends on who renames it. Give the public the vote and it'll be the Nolan Ryan Award.

Comment

Hats off to Maddux. He pitched as great a game as Biggio had hitting against the Rockies when he got hit #3000 and #3001 and #3002 and #3003

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                            cardsfanatic: I don't know about all of the Maddux > Clemens talk.

the supposition by many is that maddux did not use.
                            i would not wager on that.
                            You would be leaving easy money on the table. The only thing Greg Maddux ever injected into himself was Twinkees®
                            3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Congrats to Maddux, most likely the last pitcher to acheive this feat in the current era of baseball.
                              sigpic
                              Trusted Traders: MadHatter, card-closure-man, duckydps, Rockhound, huberfan, AutographCollector, bravesautographs, CardinalMike

My Wantlist/Tradelist

Check out my eBay auctions, username hudsonharden

Comment

Originally posted by hudsonharden View Post
                                Congrats to Maddux, most likely the last pitcher to acheive this feat in the current era of baseball.
                                And probably we wont see any much 300-game winners in the future either.
                                Last Player to hit for the Cycle: Matt Kemp, San Diego Padres (August 14, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Regular Season No-Hitter: Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals 2-0 (October 3, 2015)

Last Pitcher to throw a Postseason No-Hitter: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies 4-0 (October 6, 2010)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X