Mets' Figueroa Calls Nats "bunch of softball girls"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets' Figueroa Calls Nats "bunch of softball girls"

There are many examples these days of 'unsportsmanlike' behavior. A Yankee rookie pitcher pumping his fist and doing a pirouette after a meaningless strikeout. Jose Reyes' excessive hand shakes and celebration dances, hot dogging HR hitters.
    Now a Mets journey man rips the Washington Nationals for their dugout behavior.

Was he correct ? What are your views on this type of 'look at me' behavior.

NY Daily News:
    Nelson Figueroa knows about bush league baseball. After all, he's toured the world trying to resurrect his major league career.

But not until Monday night did Figueroa witness a truly amateurish display, the Mets pitcher suggested. Incensed at the chants emanating from the Washington dugout during the Mets' 10-4 loss Monday night at Shea, Figueroa ripped the Nationals afterward.

"They were cheerleading in the dugout like a bunch of softball girls," Figueroa said. "I'm a professional, just like anybody else. I take huge offense to that. If that's what a last-place team needs to do to fire themselves up, so be it. I think you need to show a little bit more class, a little bit more professionalism. They won tonight, but again, in the long run, they are who they are."

Figueroa couldn't pinpoint the culprits, but suggested the serenading peaked during the third inning, when the Nats loaded the bases and he forced in a run by walking Nick Johnson.

"Don't care," Figueroa said about learning the names of the perpetrators. "Truly unprofessional. "That's why they are who they are."

Of course, Lastings Milledge was in the middle of the controversy. The ex-Met - who has been disciplined for tardiness with the Nats this season - defended the actions.

"Well, what were we supposed to do? We're not supposed to cater to anybody on the opposing team," Milledge said. "We're not going to cater to him or anybody else. We've been down the last couple of days and we wanted to get something going. And if he doesn't like it, then he's got to deal with it. Anybody don't like it, they just have to deal with it."

full story:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba..._calls_na.html

Consider who the head cheerleader was and its not suprising at all. Elijah Dukes is a first class [character] and some of the other "charcters" in that clubhouse aren't exactly much better, they just have a shorter criminal arrest record than he does. Of course with his off field history, I am sure he feels right at home in D.C., given its penchant for being a haven for criminal activity.

The only problem I had with it was that Wagner didn't put one in Duke's ribs when he pinch hit in the 9th. Of course, Wags might not have known the deal, being out in the pen. Schneider should have gone out and "discussed it" with him. Send a message. Put the punk in his place.
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM. Reason: language

Comment

Originally posted by NY16CATCHER View Post
      The only problem I had with it was that Wagner didn't put one in Duke's ribs when he pinch hit in the 9th.
      Why hit him when you can strike him out? Dukes is 0-12 this season. In his career, he has 48 K and 35 hits.

Comment

I think this is an example of something that could never happen when beanings were more common. Now, with baseballs stringent prohibition on anything of the sort this type of thing is able to go, but thirty years ago the Nats would know if they started cheering like that from the dugout someone would get plunked. These rules actually end up causing more harm because there is no deterrent for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Comment

Teams/players are chastised for being apathetic when they stoic (especially when they are in the midst of a bad stretch) and they are chastised for being immature, cocky, and unprofessional when they show enthusiasm. :dismay:

People are WAY too sensitive - and about the wrong stuff, to boot!

Feel free to encourage your teammates to succeed, but at all costs, DO NOT set that encouragement to any sort of melody!...
          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Bush league - anything that 'person X' doesn't like.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh View Post
              Teams/players are chastised for being apathetic when they stoic (especially when they are in the midst of a bad stretch) and they are chastised for being immature, cocky, and unprofessional when they show enthusiasm. :dismay:
              A Catch-22 at its finest.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Nelson Figueroa is wrong in this. I don't see anything wrong with cheering for your team. Figueroa is basically saying "I'm here to play, not to win." in my opinion. Why wouldn't you want to motivate your team and get behind them and show that you want them to be at the plate or on the mound?
                Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

It obviously worked, he should of spent more time worrying about pitching and less about what was going on in the Nats dugout. Little League pitchers can pitch throught the cheers, he should be able to, too.

Comment

Figueroa has every right to say what he did: he does know a lot about being an average/below average player on poor teams-he's an expert! Sad truth is: Figueroa's presence on the Nats wouldn't make the team he is blasting any better than what they are now.
                    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 05-13-2008, 06:06 PM.
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Didn't people get on Jose Reyes for doing the same thing last year? But I agree with NY16CATCHER, if you have that big a problem with a guy, hit him
                      Originally posted by bhss89
                      "Hi. My name is John. I'd like you to meet my fastball. Can you catch up to it?
                      Didn't think so. I'll see you again tomorrow night around the top of the ninth."
                      Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy
                      Why can't they just air the doubleheaders? Those programs aimed at children are crap anyway.

Comment

They may be a "bunch of softball girls" but at least they have jobs tonight...he got DFA'd and is in need of a job!
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                          They may be a "bunch of softball girls" but at least they have jobs tonight...he got DFA'd and is in need of a job!
                          haha. so sorry.
                          Texas Ranger Baseball 2008.. :applaud:

Comment

Originally posted by blacksilverfan12 View Post
                            Didn't people get on Jose Reyes for doing the same thing last year? But I agree with NY16CATCHER, if you have that big a problem with a guy, hit him
                            For what it's worth John Maine hit the first National to bat in last night's game. Then they got on with playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                              I imagine he'll have a job at AAA, unless another major league team makes an offer. The guy has continued to work at his profession for many years, playing in places all over the world. Kind of sad to see fans laughing at him when he's doing what they wish they could do.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X