Who is season's surprise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is season's surprise?

Going into seventh season's week who is the biggest season's surprise /player, team/?

- looking at standings, Tampa with their fifth consecutive victory /7-1 beat the Yankees/ and 23-16 for the first place in the ALE?
    - the last-place Tigers have lost eight of 10 and have dropped all four games to the Royals this season!? Is it time to fire Nate Robertson?
    - Oakland have a weak rotation on paper but they have 23-17 this season
    - The last-place Mariners rotation is pretty good but they are only 15-26
    - After the blockbuster-trade with the Tigers /Willis, M.Cabrera/ the Marlins have a seven-game winning streak and 23-16
    - The Padres dissapointed their fans, last place with 15-25
    - Edinson Volquez, excellent young pitcher 6-1 1.12
    - Nate McLouth with the best career numbers
    - Or maybe another season's surprise Ervin Santana 6-0 2.63

What's your opinion?
    The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

David Murphy's year so far
    Josh Hamilton's year so far
    Rangers being only 1 game under .500, after the start they had
    Check out my site devoted to the greatness of college summer leagues.

Comment

It's total crazy...
      Verlander 1-6 6.43
      Liriano 0-3 11.32!!!
      M.Morris 0-4 9.67
      NYY's prospects Kennedy and Hughes 0-6 9.00
      an old, good Zito 0-7 6.58
      Francis 0-4 6.27
      C.C.Sabathia 2-5 6.00
      Buehrle 1-5 5.81

etc.. what's going on??

Many of excellent pitchers with so poor results /4 W- 40 L/... awful
      Last edited by Zagi-CRO; 05-14-2008, 06:28 AM.

Comment

The title of this thread should be "Who is this season's surprise, other than Cliff Lee?"

6.29 ERA last year. So far this year.... 0.67. Only about 5 pitchers ever have had a lower ERA after their first 7 starts.

Comment

Yea Cliff Lee is clearly the biggest surprise player for me so far.

Comment

Wow, why did it take so long to hear Cliff Lee's name? His ERA is .60 something but people seem to forget he gave up almost all those runs in one outing.

Team wise I'd def say Tampa Bay is the biggest surprise. While the Tigers were a surprised in the beginning of the season I was not THAT surprised because I've seen teams in the past who stack up there roster with lots of talent and money and they don't even make the playoffs.

Comment

I'd say the Florida Marlins, who have one of the best records in baseball despite having one-tenth the payroll of the Yankees. The next lowest payroll in MLB is still more than double that of the Marlins.

Comment

Marlins and Rays, not only can't they count votes, those fans as a whole don't attend many games down there. Two fine young clubs they have.

Cliff Lee and I'd also like to give a shout out for Aaron Cook who go's into his match-up against Webb with a lower ERA then Webb and he won his last game against Peavy but still is under the radar at BBF.

Comment

Carlos Quentin
                  Cliff Lee
                  Zack Greinke
                  Rafael Furcal
                  Edinson Volquez
                  Fredi Gonzalez
                  Joe Maddon

Comment

Originally posted by Zagi-CRO View Post
                    It's total crazy...
                    M.Morris 0-4 9.67

Many of excellent pitchers with so poor results /4 W- 40 L/... awful
                    Am I missing something here?
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
                      Am I missing something here?
                      He added up the current records of names that he could recognize, which comes to 4-40.
                      Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 05-14-2008, 09:38 PM.
                      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                        He added up the current records of names that he could recognize, which comes to 4-40.
                        A nice poor rotation:

Verlander 1-7
                        C.C.Sabathia 3-5
                        Buehrle 1-5
                        Zito 0-7
                        Francis 0-4
                        Liriano 0-3

How much a team could pay this rotation, less then Yu Darvish??

Comment

Nate Mcclouth .304 10 HR 32 RBIs
                          Pirates Fan Forever!!!!!

Comment

I am looking like a genuis so far, as my fantasy baseball team has Cliff Lee, Ervin Santana & Geovany Soto. Three guys that people laughed at me for taking in our draft.
                            "Candlestick made me a man" -Will Clark

"Real Giants fans loved them BEFORE and AFTER Barry Bonds came along"

Comment

Originally posted by Zagi-CRO View Post
                              A nice poor rotation:

Verlander 1-7
                              C.C.Sabathia 3-5
                              Buehrle 1-5
                              Zito 0-7
                              Francis 0-4
                              Liriano 0-3

How much a team could pay this rotation, less then Yu Darvish??
                              *rolls his eyes* I don't know what Yu Darvish's posting fee has to do with this, but you have to take each of these people in their own contexts:

Justin Verlander (25 yrs. old) has pitched pretty poorly in terms of runs given up, coughing up four or more runs in seven of his nine starts. He has three or four walks in five starts, and he seems to be striking out less people, so it could be a command problem.

C.C. Sabathia (27 yrs. old) had walk problems earlier, but those seem to have settled down. He just pitched a complete-game shutout with 11 strikeouts and 2 walks yesterday and his strikeout numbers have been mostly up. I wouldn't exactly put him on this list to begin with.

Mark Buehrle (29 yrs. old) has never been too much of a strikeout pitcher, but whatever he's doing right now is causing him to get hit and hit hard. He allowed 9 and 10 hits (7 and 8 runs) in his past couple of games.

Barry Zito (30 yrs. old) was never really that good in the first place.

Jeff Francis (27 yrs. old) usually allows a lot of runs, which is just part of being in Colorado, I suppose. Last season, he started out 1-4, so this isn't foreign to him. He'll be fine.

And although Francisco Liriano is pretty young, (24 yrs. old) you just can't expect him to come back into the game after about 1 1/2 years and continue where he left off from his rookie season.
                              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X