Is Ichiro in Decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ichiro in Decline?

A quarter through the season and he is hitting .271 with a.321 OPB. At age 34 has he lost a step? Interesting is that he has 16 steals and only 1 CS; a pace which if he continued would be the most steals, and second best percentage, of his career.

Statistically speaking, May (.366) and June (.344) are his best months for batting average, whereas April (.293) is by far his worst month.

He's a slow starter. If he's not up in the .300's by the end of May, or at least Mid-June, then we can start the "is he on the decline" talk.
    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
      Statistically speaking, May (.366) and June (.344) are his best months for batting average, whereas April (.293) is by far his worst month.

He's a slow starter. If he's not up in the .300's by the end of May, or at least Mid-June, then we can start the "is he on the decline" talk.
      That or wait until he is a year or two older. Get past 35 or so and every bump in the road is a spike in your coffin.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
        A quarter through the season and he is hitting .271 with a.321 OPB. At age 34 has he lost a step? Interesting is that he has 16 steals and only 1 CS; a pace which if he continued would be the most steals, and second best percentage, of his career.
        Ichiro stole another base yesterday and is on pace for his best SB total since his rookie year. Since he has the green light to go at any time I wonder if he is stealing bases more to make up for his slow start with the bat?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
          That or wait until he is a year or two older. Get past 35 or so and every bump in the road is a spike in your coffin.
          I love it man... I turn 35 in a couple months.
          WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
            I love it man... I turn 35 in a couple months.
            Are you in decline?

Comment

I think his numbers look especially poor (for him, at least) because of how anemic the rest of Seattle's offense is. We all know he'll turn it around and hit at lest .320 and swipe 40 bags. And hey, if that's a "drop" in production, I'd take that any day of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater View Post
                Are you in decline?
                Mentally, yes. But that's because the A's offense is driving me insane!
                WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

He isn't all that far from numbers he has posted in other years. Batting average is highly volatile for most players and Ichiro is no exception.Three times he has hit .350+ and four times he has hit less than .325. It would only take a modest hot streak to get him up to the low end of his norms.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

There is no logical reason why Ichiro was moved back to RF. The only other CF within 75 put outs the past year and a half is Aaron Rowand. He has more value in CF. Corner outfielders are more easy to come by. The M's season has long been done so I guess it doesn't matter. Ichiro is the type of player that needs a B.A. over the .350 mark to be an offensive asset.

Comment

With the M's season all but over, moving Ichiro to RF for now to keep him happier makes sense. Also, to make things easier on him; less tiring.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

So he has only been an offensive asset twice in his career?
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                          So he has only been an offensive asset twice in his career?
                          He's hit .350 or more 3 times. '01, '04, '07. He needs to hit that high because he doesn't walk often. He's had 1 season with a .400 on base percentage. Only 1 season with more than 30 doubles. His high for walks in a season is 68. He is strictly a singles hitter. For a singles hitter with that skillset, to be an asset you need a B.A. over .350.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                            At age 34 has he lost a step?

I really don't know how a cogent argument can be fabricated for Ichiro "losing a step" when he is on pace to steal the most bases in his career, and maybe even lead MLB in SB's.

That is a round-a-bout way to say, No, he is not losing a step. Bizarrely, everybody always seems to be waiting with baited breath for Ichiro to "lose a step." You hear it every year. He hasn't. He won't. He's playing at the exact same level or higher as he was in 2001 and will for years to come.

Just to let you know.

Comment

Actually, Seattle1, virtually all players that come to mind have lost a step by the age of 35, and it doesn't show up in prompt fashion in any statistic. It doesn't show up promptly in SBs, because even though a step is lost the player might be attempting more steals for various reasons. The lost step doesn't show up promptly in BA because a player's BA is affected somewhat by the lineup's performance around the hitter, as well as other health concerns.

In Ichiro's case, I am the last one onboard as usual. Last year, I finally admitted that he was the legitimate equal of players like Carew, Boggs and Gwynn. All 3 of these guys are in the Hall, and they all slipped a little bit along the way only to rebound. Boggs had the biggest slip, but none of these 3 players fell off overnight. This may not be his best year, but its a good bet he'll have a couple of great years left.
                              Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X