Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUBS sign Edmonds why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Right. That's what I said. He had to dive for a lot of balls because he's a step or two slow. I remember seeing a show talking about Edmonds (I forget what it was) where someone brought up Cleon Jones, and said that he didn't have to dive for balls because he was so fast. Naturally, those who dive for balls get more attention, but still. The question is: did Edmonds dive for balls specifically to get more attention, or did he dive for balls because he had to to catch them? I'll side with the latter option.
    yep, i think he had to in most cases. and if you do it in most cases, you start doing it out of habit even if you dont specifically need to.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Love The Game View Post
      Sorry about the name thing. It was my first choice and let me have it so here I am. We have something in common, we feel the same about the game.
      Good deal
      Welcome
      Now we can confuse those who will bust our horns!!!
      Edmonds of course last night made a remarkable catch but a foul ball off his leg didn't look promising

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
        yep, i think he had to in most cases. and if you do it in most cases, you start doing it out of habit even if you dont specifically need to.
        So if that's true, then he's doing it out of habit and not specifically to showboat.
        46 wins to match last year's total

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
          So if that's true, then he's doing it out of habit and not specifically to showboat.
          i'm sure hes got a bit of a flair for the dramatic, but thats usually handled with how he handles getting up. and hey if the fans love it, so be it.

          is he somewhat overrated? perhaps, but not that much. not at his prime at any rate.

          Comment


          • #35
            I guess Cubs fans never even liked Edmonds anyway.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Love The Game View Post
              He has made a lot of legitimately good catches. The one tonight was very good. Its not that hard to time a diving catch, especially when you've been playing ball for over 30 years like Edmonds. You are a Cards fan and a homer, you're biased. I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. You know it as well as I do. Just protecting one of your guys. I would probably do the same.
              It is truly great to have new members here on BBF that know so much about other posters! What a blessing, and another facet of BBF that separates it from other boards.

              While you are at it (using words like homer, biased, claiming things like "you know it as well as I do") do you suspect I am doing a good job raising my kids Love The Game? Is the private school we send them to a good choice? How about my tax stimulous check plans.... are they ok? Should I have left work early that day and not told the boss? What do you think? Should I post a few sentences about any or all of these topics to give you the insight required for you to make all emcompassing, definitve judgements? Did I marry the right woman? Let me know, PLEASE.

              For crying out loud Love The Game (memo to lovethegame... separate yourself from that one asap) you don't know if Edmonds is "one of my guys or not."

              In fact, he is not. I was advocating the Cardinals get rid of him in the fall of 2006, when they could have received something in return. I posted in this very thread that I thought he was done, and have often spoke of him taking at bats "off" and not using his full concentration.... a pretty common perception. He is not always good in the clubhouse, either. He was a Cardinal player, but is just as well known (at least defensively) as an ANGEL player.

              Ever see his running over the shoulder, back to the plate, and back to the sky diving catch that some have called the best catch in the past 30 years? It said ANGELS on his jersey that night. Was that a "legitamate good catch?" What is the converse of that... an "Illegitamate good catch?" LOL

              Are Angels fans homers for being able to accurately compare his defensive abilities to those of his generation? That is all I was doing.

              Your quick judgements of others "thoughts" and your ability (feeble attempt, actually) to describe the actions and mindset of other posters here will grow tiresome for us all.

              If you have any substantial response to my, or any other post in this thread, I'd be happy to read it, and intellectually talk baseball with you.

              If not, well, the ignore list is a feature of this site, and although I have never used it on anyone... but you never know.

              Bryan
              "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

              Comment


              • #37
                Jimmy Edmonds

                He made a helluva catch Monday night at Houston's Minute Maid Park. Edmonds was running with his back against the infield and looking over his left shoulder and at the last minute he turned his head and caught the ball over his right shoulder as he ran up Tal's Hill. Pretty nice catch. If he contributes, particularly against the Cardinals, the Cubs fans will love him.

                -- Nicknamed "El Caballo," meaning, "The horse," Carlos Lee probably finds it only fitting that his 10-man cheering section in the left field seats has named itself "Los Caballitos" -- "Little horses."
                It's probably also only apropos that "Los Caballitos" presented "El Caballo" with a toy horse on a stick.

                Los Caballitos instructed El Caballo to ride the horse every time he hits a home run. True to his word, Lee giddy-upped in the dugout following his two-run blast in the fourth frame, which buoyed the Astros to a 6-1 win over the Florida Marlins before 38,106 fans at Minute Maid Park April 17th.


                Funny Stuff.
                Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM. Reason: added Los Caballitos

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                  I guess Cubs fans never even liked Edmonds anyway.
                  definitely not. it wasnt his showmanship attitude that bothered me. it was just his arrogance that drove me nuts. that and him driving daggers into cubs fans hearts too often.

                  In his prime he was a very good player.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I believe Edmonds hit 16 homers against the Cubs......
                    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                      It is truly great to have new members here on BBF that know so much about other posters! What a blessing, and another facet of BBF that separates it from other boards.

                      While you are at it (using words like homer, biased, claiming things like "you know it as well as I do") do you suspect I am doing a good job raising my kids Love The Game? Is the private school we send them to a good choice? How about my tax stimulous check plans.... are they ok? Should I have left work early that day and not told the boss? What do you think? Should I post a few sentences about any or all of these topics to give you the insight required for you to make all emcompassing, definitve judgements? Did I marry the right woman? Let me know, PLEASE.
                      Stan, feel free to use the ignore button. You are a little too dramatically sensitive for my taste. I'd rather not have to read your rambling crap like the above post. That's not baseball talk. One more time, Edmonds was a good outfielder who liked to showboat a lot. And I don't repect that in a ball player.
                      People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                        Was that a "legitamate good catch?" What is the converse of that... an "Illegitamate good catch?" LOL

                        Bryan
                        The converse of that in the correct context would be "not a legitimately good catch". Grow up.
                        People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Love The Game View Post
                          The converse of that in the correct context would be "not a legitimately good catch". Grow up.
                          that would be the spaced Love the game

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Rennie Stennett View Post
                            He made a helluva catch Monday night at Houston's Minute Maid Park. .
                            I immediatley thought of this thread when I saw that catch on ESPN this morning It was a good one......running with the ball coming from over your shoulder is never easy to judge and he did it extremely well. :applaud:
                            "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

                            No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
                              I immediatley thought of this thread when I saw that catch on ESPN this morning It was a good one......running with the ball coming from over your shoulder is never easy to judge and he did it extremely well. :applaud:
                              Nah.... if Edmonds had even decent speed, he would have been under the ball far sooner, had time to make a sandwich, (ham and chees of course, spicy mustard goes without saying) then sit down in a reclining chair to make the catch, only to get up at the last moment and dive unnecessarily for it.
                              "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                                Nah.... if Edmonds had even decent speed, he would have been under the ball far sooner, had time to make a sandwich, (ham and chees of course, spicy mustard goes without saying) then sit down in a reclining chair to make the catch, only to get up at the last moment and dive unnecessarily for it.
                                Sounds good, as long as the sandwich was toasted!! But you are being just a tad harsh!!
                                "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

                                No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X