Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interleague play

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interleague play

    Its interleague time again, and every year I get more frustrated with it. Aside from removing some of the drama from the World Series and All Star Game, the leagues play by different rules. Furthermore, since neither the leagues nor divisions are aligned, it is blantantly unfair. A condending team can play a good team in the other league, while its rival can end up playing patsies.

    I'm sure it is interesting for Chicago, New York, LA as those teams play their intercity rivals every year, but really, how many people are interested in seeing Pittsburg vs Kansas City or Colorodo vs Seattle?

    Would anyone else like to see an end to this sham?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jose Tartabul View Post
    ...but really, how many people are interested in seeing Pittsburg vs Kansas City or Colorodo vs Seattle?
    Just as many as are interested in seeing Pittsburgh vs. Colorado and KC vs. Seattle. At best, it's something else, rare matchups and lineups, at worst, it's still baseball.

    I would like to see a more balanced interleague schedule however, if that is mathematically possible.

    Comment


    • #3
      I see we're still suffering from broken record syndrome about interleague play.
      46 wins to match last year's total

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
        I see we're still suffering from broken record syndrome about interleague play.
        And I see that cliches are still popular with those who have nothing new to add

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd much rather watch my Mariners play the Rockies than the Blue Jays. Or see them face off against the Diamondbacks instead of the Royals.

          Why?

          Because it's RARE.

          I'm a Seattle Mariners fan. I'm not going to see a World Series any time soon. And I'm not wealthy enough to travel to Denver or San Francisco to see a National League team play in person.

          The only way for me to witness these NL stars in person is to wait for Interleague play and catch them at the Safe.

          For that reason, Interleague play is A-O-K.
          Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
            I'd much rather watch my Mariners play the Rockies than the Blue Jays. Or see them face off against the Diamondbacks instead of the Royals.

            Why?

            Because it's RARE.

            I'm a Seattle Mariners fan. I'm not going to see a World Series any time soon. And I'm not wealthy enough to travel to Denver or San Francisco to see a National League team play in person.

            The only way for me to witness these NL stars in person is to wait for Interleague play and catch them at the Safe.

            For that reason, Interleague play is A-O-K.

            I think the answer to the interleague question will break down on geographical lines, at least to a point. In NY and Chicago, they're likely all for it. I'm against it, because a six-game home and home vs the Nationals means NOTHING to me as an Orioles fan. Posters like Stumanji, who don't have teams from the other league close by, will likely be mostly in favor.
            I'd do away with interleague. But then again, I'd also do away with the unbalanced schedule.
            4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bigtime39 View Post
              I think the answer to the interleague question will break down on geographical lines, at least to a point. In NY and Chicago, they're likely all for it. I'm against it, because a six-game home and home vs the Nationals means NOTHING to me as an Orioles fan.
              In fairness, a lot of people in the Maryland/DC area do like this one, and I'm certain the interest would be even higher if both teams were good. (The O's don't look too terrible in the standings at the moment, but I expect most folks are assuming that's a mirage.)

              Originally posted by bigtime39 View Post
              I'd do away with interleague. But then again, I'd also do away with the unbalanced schedule.
              I'd cut back some on the interleague, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a few games for the geographical rivalries, and to give everybody a chance to see the other teams every few years.

              The unbalanced schedule was long overdue (since the advent of divisions).

              Comment


              • #8
                Don't like interleague play. Until the AL gets back to playing real baseball, the match-ups don't work. Either the NL team needs to add a bench player to the line-up or the AL team needs to bench one fo their key offensive players.

                Also, not fair that teams competing for first place within a division don't play the same schedule.

                Comment


                • #9
                  stumanji: Mariners - Rockies; Mariners - Diamondbacks .... Because it's RARE.

                  rarer still would be for these teams to meet in the world series.

                  the ice cream flavor known as novelty melted long ago.
                  ditch the interleague scheme.
                  "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like inter-league and most of the changes Bud Selig has made to baseball. I feel the wildcard is good for baseball. I feel like IL play is as well. Now, if only the AS game would go back to being an exhibition I'd be pretty much fine with baseball as-is.
                    Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                    In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                      stumanji: Mariners - Rockies; Mariners - Diamondbacks .... Because it's RARE.

                      rarer still would be for these teams to meet in the world series.

                      the ice cream flavor known as novelty melted long ago.
                      ditch the interleague scheme.
                      You're sounding a little too much like lovethegame now. :P
                      46 wins to match last year's total

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i do not understand what "lovethegame" means, stbf.
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                          i do not understand what "lovethegame" means, stbf.
                          He's a poster here on BBF that constantly talks in sentence fragments and prose just like you did there.
                          46 wins to match last year's total

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ^^
                            sentence fragments?
                            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
                              ^^
                              sentence fragments?
                              Well, I think "Ditch the interleague scheme." is a sentence fragment. The first one was fine. :P
                              46 wins to match last year's total

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X