X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musial's Health Not Good

From an AP story...
    ------------
    'The St. Louis Cardinals dedicated Stan Musial Drive on Sunday, renaming the street in front of Busch Stadium in honor of the franchise's greatest player.

Musial, 87, has been in ill health and arrived at the pre-game dedication ceremony in a golf cart wearing a red jacket and Cardinals cap while his wife, Lillian, sat in a wheelchair. He felt well enough to make a few remarks, thanking the team's owners and "the greatest fans around" and also joked that the reason for the golf cart was too much wear and tear on his legs from running the bases so much.

"The other thing I wanted to say is the reason I have a bad knee, I hit too many triples," Musial joked.'
    ------------
    I hope very much that Stan will be feeling better soon! The man is 87, though, and we should appreciate him as long as he is with us.
    I think that it would be wonderful if tribute could be paid to Stan somehow at the WS or All Star Game this year. I wonder if he'd be able to throw out a first pitch...maybe ARod and Pujols could help him out, like McGwire and Gwynn did for Splinter. The Man deserves a moment like that, too.
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

I think we should be grateful Stan could make it to the game. It would be nice if MLB would do a big thing for him at the ASG like they did for Ted Williams.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I can't think of a better player to honor. Let's hope baseball is smart enough to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Shoemaker View Post
        I can't think of a better player to honor. Let's hope baseball is smart enough to do it.
        The game's at Yankee Stadium this year. Better chance they may honor someone like Yogi Berra.

Comment

Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
          The game's at Yankee Stadium this year. Better chance they may honor someone like Yogi Berra.
          But MLB gets the final say since the game does belong to them and not to the Yankees. I believe that the 2009 game is in St. Louis so if Musial can hold on for another year and 2 months, it will happen.
          Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
            But MLB gets the final say since the game does belong to them and not to the Yankees. I believe that the 2009 game is in St. Louis so if Musial can hold on for another year and 2 months, it will happen.
            How about a trade? Musial this year and Yogi in St. Louis next year? Yogi was born and raised in St. Louis.

Comment

Yeah, that definitely makes the ASB less appealing for Stan. Who knows if he'd even want to travel to NYC, or wherever the WS will be played. I'd love to see him in 2009 if the ASG is in StL. But, I'd just hate to see everybody remembering what a fine man and ballplayer he was right after he's gone, instead of honoring him when he's alive.
              I do hope that Yogi gets some love at the ASG...sad thing is, nobody would go to the game, because it would be too crowded.
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Musial is scheduled to sign autographs in Fort Lauderdale in a month.

Baseball's perfect knight deserves this honor and to be honored by MLB in a setting like the ASG or world series.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                  I think we should be grateful Stan could make it to the game. It would be nice if MLB would do a big thing for him at the ASG like they did for Ted Williams.
                  They were both legendary players. Even though Ted Wiliams' fete was in 1999 at Fenway, I could see MLB honoring both men. Yogi's in good health, from what I've heard, but when you have a chance to honor a great like Stan the Man, may as well do so while he's still thankfully (knock on wood) amongst us. I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, I'd fully endorse it.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
                    That's the very sad thing, which I don't even like bringing up. I do hope that Stan can hang on, but why waste the opportunity when he can still even hobble around to accept the Standing O that he's so very deserving of?
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Musial threw out the first pitch at Game 5 (clinching game) of the 2006 World Series. The ovation was incredible.... he used a Golf Cart again, and then threw the ball pretty hard for an old fellow. He nearly fell over!!

Not from the mound, but more of a toss from halfway down the first base line back towards the plate.

I was in the right field bleachers with my 12 year old son... and thinking about the roar STILL gives me goose bumps.

Baseball's Perfect Knight Indeed.....
                      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Consider me a newbie, green or whatever, but how did Musial get the "Perfect Knight" thing? I've seen it here twice, and both of you folks know your stuff. Any story behind this?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                          Consider me a newbie, green or whatever, but how did Musial get the "Perfect Knight" thing? I've seen it here twice, and both of you folks know your stuff. Any story behind this?

Thanks.
                          "Here stands baseball's perfect knight, here stands baseball's perfect warrior" That phrase was uttered by Commissioner Ford C. Frick and I think were said on Stan's last game in 1963. Those words are also inscribed on the Musial statue outside Busch Stadium.

Comment

Actually, the inscription (and the quote) is the reverse.... It is

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior, here stands baseball's perfect knight." It was indeed attributed to Commissioner Ford Frick.

The Musial Statue has been a meeting place for Cardinal baseball fans for generations.... If you were going to the game with others in a separate car, had to pick up tickets from them, etc.... you simple said. "I'll meet you at Stan The Man" and everyone knew what you were talking about.

My favorite Musial statistic is that he had both 1,815 hits at home and 1,815 hits on the road.

The statue, at night... current location, main entrance at Busch Stadium

Musial at Night - New Busch.jpg

Taken from inside the park, looking out over the top of the statue.

Musial Statue -Street Shot.jpg

Stan the Man before throwing out the first pitch, Game 5 2006 World Series

Musial - Game 5 Pitch.jpg

Stans' HOF plaque

Musial HOF Plaque.jpg
                            Last edited by StanTheMan; 05-20-2008, 05:47 PM.
                            "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
                              Actually, the inscription (and the quote) is the reverse.... It is

"Here stands baseball's perfect warrior, here stands baseball's perfect knight." It was indeed attributed to Commissioner Ford Frick.

The Musial Statue has been a meeting place for Cardinal baseball fans for generations.... If you were going to the game with others in a separate car, had to pick up tickets from them, etc.... you simple said. "I'll meet you at Stan The Man" and everyone knew what you were talking about.

My favorite Musial statistic is that he had both 1,315 hits at home and 1,315 hits on the road.

The statue, at night... current location, main entrance at Busch Stadium

[ATTACH]42872[/ATTACH]

Taken from inside the park, looking out over the top of the statue.

[ATTACH]42873[/ATTACH]

Stan the Man before throwing out the first pitch, Game 5 2006 World Series

[ATTACH]42875[/ATTACH]

Stans' HOF plaque

[ATTACH]42874[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks for the correction Stan. You would think I would remember that phrase since I've only walked by that statue probably a 1000 times.I was at Stan Musial Day this past Sun. I have season tickets in the right rield bleachers. Been to every game this year except 2 so far. I hope I'm wrong but that may have been one of the last times we see Stan at the park. And i'm glad he got a huge, roaring ovation as he rode around the park. I almost had tears in my eye. Unfortunatly I never saw him play as i am 35 and he had been retired nearly 10 years by the time i was born.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X