Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain the Mets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please explain the Mets

    What is going on with them? I know there was a problem with Billy Wagner, but now there's a race thing with Randolph? What gives? Why are they losing so many games with all of that talent?

    Is Jose Reyes traumatized? Injured? Lazy? Freaked out?
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

  • #2
    Originally posted by keystone View Post
    What is going on with them? I know there was a problem with Billy Wagner, but now there's a race thing with Randolph? What gives? Why are they losing so many games with all of that talent?

    Is Jose Reyes traumatized? Injured? Lazy? Freaked out?
    Difficult to explain. Some of it's the usual BS with the NY media. Small things get blown up, etc. Some of it's what people predicted. You rely on older guys and sooner or later it gets you. Between reduced production (Delgado) and more injuries (Alou, Pedro, El Duque) you're plying with fire relying on older guys.

    Seems this team was primed to win it in 2006 and should have at least made the post season in 2007. If those had happened this year would have been easier to take. But now it seems nothing worked as planned, so you get angry fans, questions in the clubhouse and calls for the manager's head.

    After the Yankee series it looked like maybe they could ride this out, get Pedro back soon and get something going. Now they're actually in worse shape than they were a week ago.

    And with Willie opening his mouth management may just decide to make a move. But who do they bring in? Some retread to fill the gap, someone else with no ML experience? the quick answer is Jerry Manuel, but hasn't he been part of this same clubhouse as Willie's righthand man?

    Comment


    • #3
      It is fairly straight forward. They were expected to win and they aren't, the fans weren't very happy with Randolph before the season started and are even less happy now, the players are feeling the pressure from the fans and media, and some key players really aren't doing much. And this failure to produce has created friction between the players themselves.

      I am not sure that Randolph can last another two weeks if this keeps up. His ill-founded claim of racism was really the type of thing that can break the bond between a manager and his GM.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

      Comment


      • #4
        That team needs to be blown up.

        The Mets 1st order of business is: Carlos Delgado
        This guy is absolutely killing them. Hell, if I'm Minaya I'd fire right across the players bow and I'd release Delgado.


        The Mets have to lead David Wright lead and Jose Reyes be himself. Stop trying to contain him...let him lose. The heart and soul of this team has been Pedro and when he's around, he magically just makes them play better. But the problem is that he's always injured.

        Unfortunately, it's not really Randolph that's the problem. I think he's a good Manager. His team just seems to have quit on him though. They play with this "Woe is me" and seem to just be standing around waiting for something bad to happen.

        A change in Manager isn't going to fix this....there has to be a change in players.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

        Comment


        • #5
          nl east is competitive.. braves, marlins, phillies... its going to be a battle

          Comment


          • #6
            I figure Willie is going to take the fall --- especially since he got crazy with the racism thing. It's always hard to tell if the players are playing badly because they don't like the manager or because they're just playing badly.

            Delgado is a big problem. I see he's been moved down in the order, but he's batting something like .173! And he's got that big contract. If they release him, who's going to take his place?

            They are such a train wreck. I expected a lot more from them.

            How about getting Davey Johnson out of moth balls?
            Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by keystone View Post
              I
              They are such a train wreck. I expected a lot more from them.
              Now... why exactly did you expect a lot out of them? Just curious.
              46 wins to match last year's total

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                Now... why exactly did you expect a lot out of them? Just curious.
                Because if pedro comes back they have a pretty good rotation. Because it's unlikely Beltran will hit like this all year. It's also possible that Reyes and Wright will hit better the rest of the year.

                Still lots of question marks, but it's probably going to be a tight division all year, so they shoudl stay in it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                  Because if pedro comes back they have a pretty good rotation. Because it's unlikely Beltran will hit like this all year. It's also possible that Reyes and Wright will hit better the rest of the year.

                  Still lots of question marks, but it's probably going to be a tight division all year, so they shoudl stay in it.
                  Quite frankly, I'd peg the Braves and Mets to be about the same, all things considered, so it should be a close race. Why anything else should have been expected of the Mets, I can't say.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We easily could do this thread about the Tigers. And Jim Leyland would get as much heat if not more than Randolph, because of his pre-Detoit tenure.

                    It's early. We're seeing a lot of things in the last few years, especially by way of comebacks, the last few years. In this era of multi-divisons and wild cards, any teams that have the talent to catch fire and stay there can easily turn things around. We're a quarter of the way done, or barely over, so don't be surprised if things change. Not even the July 4th rule holds true anymore.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                      It's early. We're seeing a lot of things in the last few years, especially by way of comebacks, the last few years. In this era of multi-divisons and wild cards, any teams that have the talent to catch fire and stay there can easily turn things around. We're a quarter of the way done, or barely over, so don't be surprised if things change. Not even the July 4th rule holds true anymore.
                      The reason it's hard to believe this team is capable of turning it around is they simply don't seem to care. It's not a two month problem either. This has been going on since last July.
                      They haven't had a hot streak since the early part of the 2007 season. It's not a matter of a slow start. This team is deeply flawed both talent wise and, more importantly, personality wise.

                      As I said in mid April, and was called "absurd" by myopic 'fans', the team as presently constituted is hopeless. Hopeless. Major changes need to be made.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                        The reason it's hard to believe this team is capable of turning it around is they simply don't seem to care. It's not a two month problem either. This has been going on since last July.
                        They haven't had a hot streak since the early part of the 2007 season. It's not a matter of a slow start. This team is deeply flawed both talent wise and, more importantly, personality wise.

                        As I said in mid April, and was called "absurd" by myopic 'fans', the team as presently constituted is hopeless. Hopeless. Major changes need to be made.
                        That is the difference I see with the Mets, their attitude for the most part sucks! There is that feel that they don't really care and it's been there since last year. You can also see frustration on players that do care, it's kind of weird. Both New York teams have been flat, underachivers and just plain bad but the Mets have a more hopeless feel because of that attitude.
                        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

                        :bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why not try at 1B any of their regular 1B in Binghampton AA :
                          Mike Carp (.341/.399/.536) or Nick Evans (.296/.359/.556)?
                          Worst than Delgado (.217/.302.348) they can not be.
                          You have to suffer a revolution to know what are you talking about.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
                            The reason it's hard to believe this team is capable of turning it around is they simply don't seem to care. It's not a two month problem either. This has been going on since last July.
                            They haven't had a hot streak since the early part of the 2007 season. It's not a matter of a slow start. This team is deeply flawed both talent wise and, more importantly, personality wise.

                            As I said in mid April, and was called "absurd" by myopic 'fans', the team as presently constituted is hopeless. Hopeless. Major changes need to be made.
                            It was like that in the early to mid-90's, too, wasn't it? They had all that talent, but the players seemed so uninspired for the most part. That was the era of Dallas Green, fire crackers and the Shea infield keeping Vince Coleman out of the Hall of Fame. (He hated running on it.)
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              It was like that in the early to mid-90's, too, wasn't it? They had all that talent, but the players seemed so uninspired for the most part. That was the era of Dallas Green, fire crackers and the Shea infield keeping Vince Coleman out of the Hall of Fame. (He hated running on it.)
                              Yes. Very depressing, very unlikable team, just like those days.

                              When will NY team owners learn. You cannot build through FA. You must build from within.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X