Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Rangers: One of sports' worst franchises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Rangers: One of sports' worst franchises?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the Rangers get mentioned enough when people discuss the worst franchises in sports. It's not that they've been terrible, they've just never really done anything. They haven't had fewer than 70 wins in a full season since 1973, and haven't had more than four straight losing seasons, but they haven't had a season better than 95-67, and have only gone 1-9 in playoff games. They've had a lot of good players, they just haven't been able to put it together.

They don't seem to identify talent well. They've let a lot of guys slip away and got little in return.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Also, one major handicap they had was when George W. Bush was in charge of the team for a number of years. I mean just look what he has done to our beloved Nation, and you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
        Also, one major handicap they had was when George W. Bush was in charge of the team for a number of years. I mean just look what he has done to our beloved Nation, and you get the idea.
        *rolls eyes* I really, really hope you're being sarcastic. The Rangers were mediocre, but not terrible, in the years where he was part-owner.

1989: 83-79
        1990: 83-79
        1991: 85-77
        1992: 77-85
        1993: 86-76
        1994: 52-62

In December of 1994, Bush resigned his 1.8 percent owner post, but still had a stake in the team, which profited from the land that was purchased around it.

How about doing a little research next time, eh? It works wonders.
        Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

gwb and the rangers

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
          *rolls eyes* I really, really hope you're being sarcastic. The Rangers were mediocre, but not terrible, in the years where he was part-owner.

1989: 83-79
          1990: 83-79
          1991: 85-77
          1992: 77-85
          1993: 86-76
          1994: 52-62

In December of 1994, Bush resigned his 1.8 percent owner post, but still had a stake in the team, which profited from the land that was purchased around it.

How about doing a little research next time, eh? It works wonders.
          yea... but BUSH had alot to do with the rangers new ballpark....which isnt exactly pitching friendly...and LOUSY...HORRIBLE pitching...really... has held the rangers back...year after year!

so seattle1 is right....BUSH even with a minority interest managed to jack up the rangers!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by califangels72 View Post
            yea... but BUSH had alot to do with the rangers new ballpark....which isnt exactly pitching friendly...and LOUSY...HORRIBLE pitching...really... has held the rangers back...year after year!

so seattle1 is right....BUSH even with a minority interest managed to jack up the rangers!!
            Er... what does Bush have to do with the Rangers' inability to get decent pitching for a hitter's park? The Red Sox have managed to do that for years.

Comment

Yeah it's all part of the "Curse of the Rangers," unfortunately for them.

Comment

But what has just transpired doesn't prove a thing except that Bush had a large hand in getting a hitter's park. If that's the case, which is obvoiusly is, is it not up to the people who actually put the team together to get some pitching? Or did Bush have a large hand in that and I didn't know about it?

Comment

The Rangers have a guy on pace for about 165 RBI's. They are scoring more than 5 runs a game. Right now, they're getting KILLED by their horrendous defense.
                  Originally posted by Cougar
                  "Read at your own risk. Baseball Fever shall not be responsible if you become clinically insane trying to make sense of this post. People under 18 must read in the presence of a parent, guardian, licensed professional, or Dr. Phil."

Comment

Al Gore should have had the following Campaign Slow

George Bush will do for our country what he Did for the Texas Rangers

Comment

They are performing much better than their record this year suggests. If their pitchers get their act together they have a reasonable shot at a playoff spot thanks to the general weakness of the AL west right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
                        I don't know what--if anything--the walking disaster known as George W Bush did as part-owner of the Texas Rangers, but how he got to be part-owner is an example of how corrupt he is, not to mention the oil and baseball businesses.
                        W invested about $400 of his own money in the Rangers (the rest was "borrowed" from his daddy's rich friends) and walked out a millionaire. Good work, if you can get it.
                        4 5 (7) 8 20 22 33 42 (44)

Comment

Out of the spirit for the rules of this forum, let's not use this thread as an invitation to attack the current President. As Sam said, he has very little to do with the rangers inability to get decent pitching.

Keep the politics out, as always. Further political posts will be removed.
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

When I lived down in Dallas, Bobby V and Tom House shredded up their young pitching prospects like they were heads of lettuce destined for a Wendy's salad. They chewed up Ed Correa and Jose Guzman in a couple of years, and they could never help Bobby Witt harness his stuff and throw strikes. Most prospects aren't going to pan out, but those two got nothing out of a lot of highly regarded young pitchers, and it makes me sick to hear people say that they're geniuses.
                            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                              When I lived down in Dallas, Bobby V and Tom House shredded up their young pitching prospects like they were heads of lettuce destined for a Wendy's salad. They chewed up Ed Correa and Jose Guzman in a couple of years, and they could never help Bobby Witt harness his stuff and throw strikes. Most prospects aren't going to pan out, but those two got nothing out of a lot of highly regarded young pitchers, and it makes me sick to hear people say that they're geniuses.
                              Correa? It looks like he had no control whatsoever and he didn't lead the league in walks only because of Witt. In the minors, he spent three years in Appleton (A White Sox) and his BB/9 totals were all over the place. Was he really that highly regarded?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X