Josh Hamilton or Edinson Volquez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Hamilton or Edinson Volquez?

These two players will be connected to each other forever in baseball history as being part of a trade between the Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds during this past off-season. So far this year, both have had outstanding years with one leading the RBI race and the other the ERA race. One leads his league in HRs while the other strikes out more than 10 per 9 innings. So, who would you rather have on your team, the guy who plays everyday and drives in lots of runs or the guy who dominates the mound every 5 days?
    Josh Hamilton
    66.67%
    Edinson Volquez
    33.33%
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Guys who can hit are much more common than guys who can eat innings and go 7-1 with a sub 1.5 ERA. I'd much rather have Volquez, although I definitely think both will cool off significantly pretty soon.
    :radio Please check out my collection of vintage baseball recordings:

http://www.oldtimesports.net/users/AWilliams

Comment

Originally posted by NineWorldSeries View Post
      Guys who can hit are much more common than guys who can eat innings and go 7-1 with a sub 1.5 ERA. I'd much rather have Volquez, although I definitely think both will cool off significantly pretty soon.
      I agree 100% (although I think Hamilton will have much more success than Volquez, long term).

Comment

Originally posted by redlegsfan21 View Post
        These two players will be connected to each other forever in baseball history as being part of a trade between the Texas Rangers and Cincinnati Reds during this past off-season. So far this year, both have had outstanding years with one leading the RBI race and the other the ERA race. One leads his league in HRs while the other strikes out more than 10 per 9 innings. So, who would you rather have on your team, the guy who plays everyday and drives in lots of runs or the guy who dominates the mound every 5 days?
        provided Volquez stays healthy? the latter. Hamilton is absolutely raking and would have been good to hold onto for Cincy, but pitching trumps hitting, IMO.

I think hamilton will keep his production up more easily than volquez for a couple of reasons, but the reds need to develop pitching and this kid is how they need to do it. by trading (or developing in the farm system)

Comment

Who would I rather have if his whole career was this way

Volquez in a heartbeat

Who would I rather have, longterm

Hamilton, no doubt.
          Originally posted by Cougar
          "Read at your own risk. Baseball Fever shall not be responsible if you become clinically insane trying to make sense of this post. People under 18 must read in the presence of a parent, guardian, licensed professional, or Dr. Phil."

Comment

Nobody on my team can hit a lick so I'll take the hitter.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Josh Hamilton vs. Volquez 5.1 : 4.9
              The Voice of Croatia - Glas Hrvatske

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X