Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the deal with AL batting averages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the deal with AL batting averages?

Note to moderators: I looked through the list of forums and couldn't find where I might find this topic, or start this topic. Move the thread as you see fit.

I don't have an axe to grind here, so excuse the UserID and its relevance to the topic; I am asking for others' thoughts on why they believe there is such a wide gap between the leagues in batting averages. Have the AL hitters become too obsessed with the long ball, or is there something else at work?
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I don't presume you have an axe to grind, nor will I move this thread, since it's relevant to current MLB.

Please elaborate upon why you feel that AL players (top players, average ones, etc) have focused more on the BA than do their NL counterparts. Which stats have been lowered by AL players (such as those playing the same position) than in prior years, as opposed to their NL counterparts?

Thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

The American League leader, as this is entered, is Joe Mauer at .338 and yet he would be 6th in the NL. Hamilton is hitting .335 (second in AL) and yet this would be 8th in the NL.

The National League has had higher batting averages over the past few years, and the differences seem to be growing larger. The matter used to be reversed, but only slightly.

I'm wondering how many of the new NL parks are considered to be hitter's parks, including the new one in DC, compared to the new AL parks. Does anyone have data on that?

IMHO, I don't believe that there is any major difference between the quality of the pitching between the leagues.

Other than these factors, I'm at a loss for ideas.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
        I don't have an axe to grind here, so excuse the UserID and its relevance to the topic; I am asking for others' thoughts on why they believe there is such a wide gap between the leagues in batting averages. Have the AL hitters become too obsessed with the long ball, or is there something else at work?
        The season is still young. And, there really isn't a wide gap in 2008, except between the leaders. Overall, the NL is batting .261, and the AL is batting .259. It's a little unusual that the NL is leading, but it's probably just chance, IMHO. Check out the last 2 seasons...

In 2007, the AL top 10 in BA ranged from .363 to .317.
        In the NL, .340 to .320.

In 2006, .347 to .319 in the AL. In the NL, .344 to .311.

Comment

Good pitching has been migrating to the NL from the AL for years, and old pitching from the AL to the NL. It's not THE factor but it's probably A factor.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X