This is Ridiculous But Some Will Believe It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Ridiculous But Some Will Believe It

Alex Rodriguez is rapidly becoming recognized as the greatest player in baseball history. Now in his fifth season with the New York Yankees, the team that has won more championships than any other team, considers A-Rod a true Yankee and the best player ever.

There is no way A-Rod is even close. He isn't even the third best player in Yankees' history.

http://baseballpiggies.blogspot.com/
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Originally posted by LouGehrig View Post
    He isn't even the third best player in Yankees' history.

http://baseballpiggies.blogspot.com/
    Do tell . . .
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the premise or the point beyond A-Rod being a fine player. Who is actually making the claim A-Rod is the best player ever? Or why would the team he has played for (and quite well) for the last five years still consider him an outsider?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I'm far from a baseball historian, which I'll readily admit, and I can tell you that there would be very few people who would rank Alex Rodriguez as the greatest baseball player who'd ever lived. Perhaps one of the greatest shortstops, due to his offense and slick glove, but he hasn't played enough 3B to be above someone like Mike Schmidt, I believe.

I believe that the article may be mistaken, since many people consider Alex Rodriguez to be the best *ACTIVE* position player. Some would even debate that, since Albert Pujols or Chipper Jones could arguably make claim to the same title.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Few people think A-Rod is in the same league as Ruth at this point. He's only 32. He could still have another 8-10 years of playing. His rate stats wont ever beat Ruth's, but the era is completely different. Players dont hit .400 anymore, doesnt mean they are worse than players 90 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
            I'm not sure I understand the premise or the point beyond A-Rod being a fine player. Who is actually making the claim A-Rod is the best player ever? Or why would the team he has played for (and quite well) for the last five years still consider him an outsider?
            Last week, during a telecast, I heard A-Rod referred to, a few times, as the greatest Yankee of all. Since Ruth was a Yankee, you get the logical conclusion.

It is ridiculous to even compare A-Rod to Ruth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
              I'm far from a baseball historian, which I'll readily admit, and I can tell you that there would be very few people who would rank Alex Rodriguez as the greatest baseball player who'd ever lived. Perhaps one of the greatest shortstops, due to his offense and slick glove, but he hasn't played enough 3B to be above someone like Mike Schmidt, I believe.

I believe that the article may be mistaken, since many people consider Alex Rodriguez to be the best *ACTIVE* position player. Some would even debate that, since Albert Pujols or Chipper Jones could arguably make claim to the same title.
              Mattingly, once again, we agree. You express it wonderfully.

Comment

Last week, during a telecast, I heard A-Rod referred to, a few times, as the greatest Yankee of all. Since Ruth was a Yankee, you get the logical conclusion.

It is ridiculous to even compare A-Rod to Ruth.
                Ok, that's one opinion or so. I don't think that constitutes rapid recognition.

Some broadcasters have historical knowledge. Others can't acknowledge anything they haven't seen or weren't around for. If that's coming from the latter, it's best to ignore such opinions rather than feed into them like this.

I really despise the "it doesn't exist unless I know about it" attitude. That's what this sounds like. I guess it's fine you're trying to set them straight, but I'd hardly put too much behind it, it's a limited, and thus, pretty merit-less view that most won't take seriously.
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I hope your conclusion is right.

Comment

I hope your conclusion is right.
                    Broadcasters use absurd absolutes like that a good amount of the time. If what broadcasters said like that were to get more acceptance, the HOF would be much, much bigger and there would be 50 players ranked top 5 all time.

That being said, A-Rod has a solid shot at making it to the top in many a top all-time lists. That it and of itself isn't so far-fetched. When all is said and done . . .
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Umm...guys the piece seems like an attempt at humorous satire, not to be taken literally or seriously. From the article:

A-Rod's Advantage Over the Babe
                      But A-Rod has a major advantage over the Babe. Alex can still sign autographs, appear as a special guest at various functions cost huge sums of money to attend, and he can be a spokesman for his team and for Major League Baseball. Alex Rodriguez is a living cash cow whose value can only increase. Babe Ruth is dead.
                      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 05-27-2008, 12:42 PM.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Who said this?
                        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                          Who said this?
                          Yes, the article is a little facetious.

I watch so many games by switching from one to another, that it is difficult to pinpoint, but it WAS a Yankees' telecast

The Yankees have so many announcers that I don't remember if it were Michael Kay or someone else, but my first reaction was that it was so crazy that I ignored it. A couple of seconds later, I realized that they were serious and actually had said that A-Rod was the greatest Yankee or could become the greatest Yankee of all time. Which doesn't matter.

I have NOT heard A-Rod referred to in that manner in the last few days. Maybe it was realized that whatever little credibility the Yankees' telecasts provide would be even further compromised by the statement.

Comment

Mattingly, once again, we agree. You express it wonderfully.
                            Thanks!

I think that amongst active infielders, he could arguably be considered the best, since he's been around longer than Pujols and was the premiere SS while with Seattle and Texas, and has better offensive career number than Chipper. However, strictly as a 3rd baseman, Chipper Jones has the edge.

I wouldn't worry about individual telecasts, since reporters often make wild, often factually-challenged statements designed to be quoted. Hence, the term "sound bites". More reasonable minds will think otherwise, I believe.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                              Who said this?
                              Michael Kay said it. What he said was "Arod could arguably be the greatest player of all time." Michael Kay is a moron.

I believe when Arod is done he'll rank within the top 10 players of all time and perhaps top 5. He will never be the best ever. Ruth is the greatest player of all time. The discussion about the greatest player ever begins with who's
                              2nd. Cobb, Mays, Williams, Wagner and maybe someday Arod.

Scott
                              I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X