Best baseball town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluezebra View Post
    Yankee fan propaganda. Yankee Stadium capacity: 57,545; 2008 attendance: 1,339,311; avg; 51,512; 89.5%. NOT exactly a full house every game. And over 8% less per game than the Cubs. Mets averaging almost 6,000 under capacity each game. And New York has over TWICE the population of Chicago.
    Wrigley Field's capacity is 16,000 less than Yankee Stadium. Obviously it is easier for it to reach full capacity when it has 16,000 fewer seats. 89.5% is still a lot. Every game is virtually sold out.

The city population is irrelevant. Not everyone can afford to go to games or are physically able to. That doesn't mean a majority of them don't care.

NYC has NO football team. The Giants and Jets play in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Islanders hockey team plays in Uniondale, which is on Long Island, in Nassau County.
    The Giants and Jets are NYC teams because of how close they are to the city. Both teams have their training facilities in NY, IIRC.

No one really cares about the Islanders but you can consider them an NY area team anyway.

Of course New Yawkers consider everywhere east of the (polluted) Hudson River is New York City.
    The Hudson River isn't polluted. The East River is a different story.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      . I do remember the Lions getting blacked out on TV quite a bit for home games.

how do these blackouts work?

i've seen it on umpteen ESPN trailers that the game is 'subject to blackout' but never knew what it meant.
      'that ball is high, it is far, it is gone'

Comment

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
        Los Angeles isn't the best MLB town, but it could be the best actual baseball town based on how many amateurs play year round here and how many professionals come from here.

There's a lot of great Dodger fans, but most of them don't hold a candle to the Cardinals, Red Sox, and New York fans.
        Dodger Stadium. Where Dodger fans show up in the third inning, and leave in the seventh. And where you see as many, if not more, visiting teams' shirts/caps, as for the Dodgers.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523 View Post
          Wrigley Field's capacity is 16,000 less than Yankee Stadium. Obviously it is easier for it to reach full capacity when it has 16,000 fewer seats. 89.5% is still a lot. Every game is virtually sold out.

The city population is irrelevant. Not everyone can afford to go to games or are physically able to. That doesn't mean a majority of them don't care.

The Giants and Jets are NYC teams because of how close they are to the city. Both teams have their training facilities in NY, IIRC.
          No one really cares about the Islanders but you can consider them an NY area team anyway.

Even though they'e NOT in NYC.

The Hudson River isn't polluted. The East River is a different story.
          Really? When a city has OVER TWICE the population, that means there are OVER TWICE the available tushes to fill the seats.

BUT, they PLAY their games in 'Joisy'.

Bob

Comment

Really? When a city has OVER TWICE the population, that means there are OVER TWICE the available tushes to fill the seats.
            That doesn't mean that everyone can afford to go to a game or is able to. They still top the league in attendance every year. Also take into account TV ratings and viewers as well as radio listeners and callers.

BUT, they PLAY their games in 'Joisy'.
            1) It's Jersey. I live in NJ and the "Joisy" is very irritating.
            2) Yes, but they are New York teams. The Giants played in NY from 1925 to 1973. The Jets played in NY from 1960 to 1983.
            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Dodger Stadium. Where Dodger fans show up in the third inning, and leave in the seventh. And where you see as many, if not more, visiting teams' shirts/caps, as for the Dodgers.

Bob
              Way to take my comment out of context, Bob.

Comment

Bob

That's stupid. You could live 20 miles away from Dodger Stadium, leave your house 3 hours before the start of the game and still miss the first friggin' two innings. Do you have any concept of how horrendous LA traffic is plus the horrible traffic mess entering the stadium??? How the hell does that make them "bad fans?" Maybe if you didn't live in the middle of BF Egypt you'd have a little more understanding of life in the big city.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballpark Modeler View Post
                  That's stupid. You could live 20 miles away from Dodger Stadium, leave your house 3 hours before the start of the game and still miss the first friggin' two innings. Do you have any concept of how horrendous LA traffic is plus the horrible traffic mess entering the stadium??? How the hell does that make them "bad fans?" Maybe if you didn't live in the middle of BF Egypt you'd have a little more understanding of life in the big city.
                  Haha, BF Egypt

Comment

Oh, no, not this again.

Comment

Originally posted by South Bronx View Post
                      how do these blackouts work?

i've seen it on umpteen ESPN trailers that the game is 'subject to blackout' but never knew what it meant.
                      A certain percentage of tickets must be sold for the game to be played in its home area. The Silverdome was so large, and the Lions rarely better than mediocre, this was often a problem with home games. Unless you were there, you were stuck with radio.

For some strange reason, the Pistons played there, too. The stadium was usually quartered off for Pistons games, including the playoffs.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

You could live 20 miles away from Dodger Stadium, leave your house 3 hours before the start of the game and still miss the first friggin' two innings. Do you have any concept of how horrendous LA traffic is plus the horrible traffic mess entering the stadium??? How the hell does that make them "bad fans?"
                        Maybe it doesn't make them bad fans, but it certainly pushes LA far down the list of baseball towns. Geography and physical design are among the most important factors in shaping a city's culture.

Comment

When you go east of the Mississippi sports fans go somewhat lunatic. I dont know why that is but it is. Ill include states like Texas in that, but mostly its the big Industrial cities like NY, CHGO, Philly, Detroit, Baaaaston....ect

Texas is mostly a football state but I include them cause the nuttiness is there should they harness it for baseball.

The West coast and FLA are more laid back. Im a Chicago cop and endured all those Jordan era basketball riots and should the Cubs ever win a WS this city would disintegrate. I was at Wrigley on duty the night of Bartman and right before that happened I turned to my partner and said, "this place is going to go nuts if they win this thing".

Wrigley is right in the middle of a huge tavern district and believe me if the Cubs win this year, they dont even have to win at home, but if they do? This place would go ape. Ive already had to endure some mini-Wrigley-riots when the Redbirds have visited.

Cubs fans, and Redbird fans, really dont like each other.
                          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

What was Chicago like when the White Sox won the World Series?
                            Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                              Maybe it doesn't make them bad fans, but it certainly pushes LA far down the list of baseball towns.
                              No, it does the opposite--it pushes it up the list. Dodger fans have to slog through some of, if not by far the worst, transportation system to get to the ballpark--taking more time out of their schedule than many fans....yet they still pack that stadium... night after night, year after year, bad teams or not, 2-hour traffic jams or not, 30-mile commute or not, a million other entertainment options or not.

BTW I understand your point about LA not being baseball friendly in a geographic sense, but IMO that isn't part of the meaning of a "baseball town". To me it's how passionate and supportive is that city about the game of baseball, and LA's pro AND amateur game (How many ML players are products of LA area high school teams?) is one of the city's big passions.
                              Last edited by JMC Bomber; 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I think the majority of Major Leaguers from the U.S. come from the Los Angeles area. High school and college baseball are huge here and both have great fans. Many amatuer ballparks have people playing on them throughout the year. Every weekend in the winter months I see kids practicing at the North Venice little league field. The East Coast may have a deeper history, but baseball across the board is more popular in Southern California because more people actually play the game on a regular basis.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X