X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewcrew82
    replied
    Originally posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Well this thread/question has been up for a few weeks now. I've pondered it quite a bit, and after careful consideration I'm going to say the best baseball town is: Seattle, Washington.

Seattle has the largest geographic fanbase to draw from: Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and beyond. Even Utah to a degree, at least in the northern part of the state.

:twocents:
    You are kidding right? By that logic the Blue Jays would be the correct answer because they are the only team currently in Canada.

There are many places that could lay claim to being the best baseball town, St Louis, Cincinnati, New York, Boston, and there's probably more. Seattle would rank nowhere near the aforementioned cities.

I've always been under the impression that St Louis is the best city for baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Seattle1
    replied
    Well this thread/question has been up for a few weeks now. I've pondered it quite a bit, and after careful consideration I'm going to say the best baseball town is: Seattle, Washington.

Seattle has the largest geographic fanbase to draw from: Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, and beyond. Even Utah to a degree, at least in the northern part of the state.

:twocents:

Leave a comment:

• redlegsfan21
    replied
    Originally posted by baseball fan View Post
    Anyone know where the label "Best Fans in Baseball" came from with regards to St. Louis?

How true is this really?
    Because they seem to support their team through thick and thin and they are very knowledgable of the game.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    Originally posted by cardsfanatic View Post
    I'll skip saying St. Louis because I can't be unbiased there. Heh. The best fans I have ever encountered outside of St. Louis were probably the Baltimore Oriole fans. I don't know how well they support their team but I thoroughly enjoyed my game experience there and their fans were knowledgeable and well spoken.

I'd have to say one of the more rabid fanbases is the Cubs. I've been to Chicago countless times on both business and pleasure. Last year alone I was in and out of Chicago probably 75 times. I'll say this... that town loves their Cubbies. They know everything about them, too. However, they're some of the more hostile fans I've encountered, too. They seem totally bitter. I've been refused service before when I've went to public places wearing a Cardinal ballcap. One lady refused to turn on the gas pump for me. Another waiter refused to take my order.

Am I alone in thinking that is utterly ridiculous?

I can appreciate the Cubs fans passion for the game but _some_ of them seem downright insane. Yeah, I probably shouldn't wear a Cardinal ballcap out and about in Chicago but if I'm up there getting gas in my car or stopping off to grab a quick bite to eat... I'm dressed casual. I don't mind the razzing and trust me, I've taken plenty of it catching games at Wrigley Field. Heh. That, I don't mind. But refusing me service? Sheesh.
    I agree. It doesget insane. I remember I was shopping in Boston, wearinga Yanks cap. I got spat on once, and pushed when peeing twice. It was horrible.

Leave a comment:

• cardsfanatic
    replied
    I'll skip saying St. Louis because I can't be unbiased there. Heh. The best fans I have ever encountered outside of St. Louis were probably the Baltimore Oriole fans. I don't know how well they support their team but I thoroughly enjoyed my game experience there and their fans were knowledgeable and well spoken.

I'd have to say one of the more rabid fanbases is the Cubs. I've been to Chicago countless times on both business and pleasure. Last year alone I was in and out of Chicago probably 75 times. I'll say this... that town loves their Cubbies. They know everything about them, too. However, they're some of the more hostile fans I've encountered, too. They seem totally bitter. I've been refused service before when I've went to public places wearing a Cardinal ballcap. One lady refused to turn on the gas pump for me. Another waiter refused to take my order.

Am I alone in thinking that is utterly ridiculous?

I can appreciate the Cubs fans passion for the game but _some_ of them seem downright insane. Yeah, I probably shouldn't wear a Cardinal ballcap out and about in Chicago but if I'm up there getting gas in my car or stopping off to grab a quick bite to eat... I'm dressed casual. I don't mind the razzing and trust me, I've taken plenty of it catching games at Wrigley Field. Heh. That, I don't mind. But refusing me service? Sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• baseball fan
    replied
    Anyone know where the label "Best Fans in Baseball" came from with regards to St. Louis?

How true is this really?

Leave a comment:

• keystone
    replied
    hellborn -- I have no delusions about the "good old days." Both my parents and grandparents grew up really poor, and the boys of both generations had no time for baseball. They all did manage a high school education, but they always had jobs -- women as well.

I guess I was just trying to make the point that baseball really WAS America's pastime in decades past, and the focus of average sports fans was keenly on baseball (and boxing, too). That's what the Dominicans have -- that focus. I think the rise of the NFL & NBA took that away from US sports fans.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by keystone View Post
    The Dominican is like the US was in the old days when baseball was the only game in town. All the kids were in the streets perfecting their batting strokes, their curve balls or the double play. Fans were rabid about baseball, just baseball. And they could actually afford to go to the games.
    Don't get too excited about the old days in the US...my father went to work at age 8 after his father died young (much more common back then), and never had time or money for diversions like baseball. After school, he delivered ice cream and did odd jobs at the houses where his mother was a cleaning woman. During summer break, he took the trolley out to the suburbs and caddied, sleeping in the clubhouse and only going home on weekends. If he had a little spare time, he went fishing for crabs to eat in the local clay pit. Even though he grew up not far from Wrigley field, catching a game there was out of the question.
    I'm not saying his was a totally typical story, but life was hard for a lot of people then, and it was more acceptable for even young children to work. My father used most of his summer earnings to buy clothes for the next school year...he wouldn't have gotten any if he hadn't used his own money. Not all kids were out practicing to be the next Babe Ruth or Walter Johnson.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    The best small baseball town in my opinion is Martinez, CA. Tug McGraw and Joe DiMaggio are from there. Also, their resident comprehensive high school, Alhambra High School, has won a few state championships.

Leave a comment:

• keystone
    replied
    The Dominican is like the US was in the old days when baseball was the only game in town. All the kids were in the streets perfecting their batting strokes, their curve balls or the double play. Fans were rabid about baseball, just baseball. And they could actually afford to go to the games.

So, yeah. I think San Pedro de Macoris is a great baseball town. I'd love to experience that total immersion...

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Cincinnati is a great baseball town. The team has been awful for many, many years. The weekend crowds are very good. Milwaukee is a good baseball town. The locals really support the team and they know how to tailgate.

Leave a comment:

• mrakbaseball
    replied
    San Pedro de Macoris D.R.

Leave a comment:

• keystone
    replied
    I am so mad that Cincy doesn't get the Opening Day glory it used to. Thank you, ESPN.

Leave a comment:

• NineWorldSeries
    replied
    Cincinnati certainly used to be a premier baseball town, and I'd like to think that it still is. The fans are not exactly selling out every game, but the atmosphere (at times, such as on Opening Day) is certainly electric in and around the Queen City.

Leave a comment:

• Lafferty Daniel
    replied
    I think the majority of Major Leaguers from the U.S. come from the Los Angeles area. High school and college baseball are huge here and both have great fans. Many amatuer ballparks have people playing on them throughout the year. Every weekend in the winter months I see kids practicing at the North Venice little league field. The East Coast may have a deeper history, but baseball across the board is more popular in Southern California because more people actually play the game on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X