Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fay Vincent wants a steroid investigation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fay Vincent wants a steroid investigation?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2361482
    ?

  • #2
    i think fay wants anything that's going to embarass selig - which wouldn't be a bad thing - but does vincent still have any say?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bkmckenna
      i think fay wants anything that's going to embarass selig - which wouldn't be a bad thing - but does vincent still have any say?
      Probably about as much as Gerald Ford!
      "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

      Comment


      • #4
        But Vincent's call for an independent investigation kind of throws Selig's reaction so far into stark relief. It's kind of amazing, Selig is saying things like "Well we have to wait for the book to come out" - geez, he's the commish of baseball and he can't get an advance copy? He had no idea this book was in the making for three years? For Pete's sake, he even said something like "Wow, it's worse than I thought" - I mean really, it's one thing for the fans to be taken by surprise by the stuff in this book, but for him to have apparently showed so little interest in the grand jury testimony and so little interest in digging to find the evidence presented there, how un-proactive can you get?

        This "investigative task force" should have been formed in 2004 and should have had all of the information these two writers had, if not more.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Barnstormer
          But Vincent's call for an independent investigation kind of throws Selig's reaction so far into stark relief. It's kind of amazing, Selig is saying things like "Well we have to wait for the book to come out" - geez, he's the commish of baseball and he can't get an advance copy? He had no idea this book was in the making for three years? For Pete's sake, he even said something like "Wow, it's worse than I thought" - I mean really, it's one thing for the fans to be taken by surprise by the stuff in this book, but for him to have apparently showed so little interest in the grand jury testimony and so little interest in digging to find the evidence presented there, how un-proactive can you get?

          This "investigative task force" should have been formed in 2004 and should have had all of the information these two writers had, if not more.
          A friend of mine had a saying that his Dad once told him:

          "Son, the sound you hear is that of feet being dragged slowly along the ground."
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

          Comment


          • #6
            Not being bound by any organization or having any responsibility Vincent (who I have high regard for) can make any type of populist statement he wants. No task is too hard if someone else has to do it.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KCGHOST
              Not being bound by any organization or having any responsibility Vincent (who I have high regard for) can make any type of populist statement he wants. No task is too hard if someone else has to do it.
              I see where you're coming from. True, Fay doesn't have to answer to anyone, no longer deals with the inner politics there, but still. If one of your predecessors requests to get the ball rolling, that could be an indicator that Bud Lite may need to get the ball rollin'.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

              Comment


              • #8
                how long can the insiders keep denying any knowledge of the entire matter? how long can they play dumb? how long will people keep believing them?

                i still read on bbf people who keep saying that it's never been proven that steroids help baseball players - there is an adolph hitler philosophy here - the bigger the lie the more people that will believe it (or at least want to and turn their heads the other way)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bkmckenna
                  how long can the insiders keep denying any knowledge of the entire matter? how long can they play dumb? how long will people keep believing them?

                  i still read on bbf people who keep saying that it's never been proven that steroids help baseball players - there is an adolph hitler philosophy here - the bigger the lie the more people that will believe it (or at least want to and turn their heads the other way)

                  I'll post this here again.
                  http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262#R4

                  Its an research project posted at Clinicalchemisty.com that details the East Germans state sponcered doping program.

                  It is taken from secret documents that were kept by the Stasi (East German secret police) that detail Anabolic use side effects and performance expectations. It goes into a variety of events and athletes. If you can improve a guy throwing a hammer or javlin then its not hard to assume its going to help a guy swinging a bat. Infact its almost scientific fact.

                  Nobody is saying that Anabolics transfer baseball skillsets. What we are saying is if the skill already exsists then Anabolics will most likely enhance them. Texas pitcher Kenny Rogers told SI basicly the same thing: "The average player can become a star and the star player can become a superstar. And the superstar? Forget it. He can do things we've never seen before."
                  Get out the Vote!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ESPNFan
                    I'll post this here again.
                    http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262#R4

                    Its an research project posted at Clinicalchemisty.com that details the East Germans state sponcered doping program.

                    It is taken from secret documents that were kept by the Stasi (East German secret police) that detail Anabolic use side effects and performance expectations. It goes into a variety of events and athletes. If you can improve a guy throwing a hammer or javlin then its not hard to assume its going to help a guy swinging a bat. Infact its almost scientific fact.

                    Nobody is saying that Anabolics transfer baseball skillsets. What we are saying is if the skill already exsists then Anabolics will most likely enhance them. Texas pitcher Kenny Rogers told SI basicly the same thing: "The average player can become a star and the star player can become a superstar. And the superstar? Forget it. He can do things we've never seen before."
                    When I was lifting weights, the advantage of anabolic steroids were broken down to me like this:

                    Powerlifters have three lifts: parallel squat; bench press; deadlift, as photo illustrated below.







                    Now then, when the work, they have what's known as a "total", meaning the sum total of the greatest lift completed in each of the three categories. Therefore, if you squat 500 lbs, bench 300 lbs and deadlift 500 lbs, then you've got a 1,300 lb total.

                    If you get a 5% increase in your total, you'd have lifted 1,365, not 1,300. For a given weight category, that can be *HUGE*, especially if you're heavier than the next opponent in your category and they'd win if the lifts made were tied.

                    I'm not fully sure how well it makes one hit a ball further, but I will note that Jason Giambi was already highly accomplished offensively before he'd gotten involved in the BALCO scandal. His brother, Jeremy, was a mere journeyman, and unless he's so pumped that he's breathing like a horse, I doubt he'd come close to what Jason did.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X