Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Schmidt - Cheater ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/sp...7ee7ac&ei=5070

I also heard on the Dan Patrick show today that he used several times in his career.

I think if you went back and struck from the records every time someone in the 70s and 80s was high and playing those decades would be blank in the record book lol

Didn't Doc Ellis already admit to being high on LSD before a game? And Tim Raines used coke on the field?

To find out Schmidt used greenies, which Jim Bouton talked about in Ball Four is no big surprise to me. The real surprise would be to learn the guys who DIDN'T use them.

Comment

Originally posted by SideWalks Of Ny
      http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/sp...7ee7ac&ei=5070

I also heard on the Dan Patrick show today that he used several times in his career.
      i heard that too, and no i dont really think any less of him because of it. it was common place for them to use it. doesnt make it right, but i dont hold it against them either.

Comment

So..this is how we're going to let Barry off the hook, eh?

Der spinmeisters are hard at work I see.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53

I'm just a very forgiving soul.

Comment

This actually has nothing to do with bonds.

It was a simple question, schmidt used a drug that was banned in america, and admitted to it, so is he a cheater/felon ?

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
              I'm just a very forgiving soul.
              I can forgive him. I haven't yet but I probably will.

I'm not trying to draw similarites between the crimes, but I've seen mothers forgive thier chidren's murders yet still want them to at least do long, hard time.

Maybe we can force Barry to be nice to people as his punishment.
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

It was a simple question, schmidt used a drug that was banned in america, and admitted to it, so is he a cheater/felon ?
                It has everything to with Bonds.

I'm sorry you can't see that, or deny it like like most spinsters would, but it's the main reason it's being brought up in the other Bonds threads.

You wouldn't even be talking about Schmidt if you weren't trying to defend Barry. He never would have come up except to talk about his place among third basemen.
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

It has everything to with Bonds.

I'm sorry you can't see that, or deny it like like most spinsters would, but it's the main reason it's being brought up in the other Bonds threads.

You wouldn't even be talking about Schmidt if you weren't trying to defend Barry. He never would have come up except to talk about his place among third basemen.
                  Greatway to keep avoiding the question. Keep bringing up bonds name, hell for all you know I could be defending matt lawton or gary sheffield.

Stop deflecting the question and anwser, is schmidt a felon/cheater ?

Comment

Greatway to keep avoiding the question. Keep bringing up bonds name, hell for all you know I could be defending matt lawton or gary sheffield.

Stop deflecting the question and anwser, is schmidt a felon/cheater ?
                    I'm not avaoiding the question. Schmidt is a non-issue. He's retired. He's in the hall.

He's a cheater.

He's not a felon. Bonds is a felon only in so much as he lied to the grand jury.
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

He's not a cheater because they were not banned from the game when he took them. Everybody in the game was allowed to take them so they were fair game.

Although, he absolutely took them to gain an advantage over his apponent, period end of story. Greenies make you run faster, throw harder, swing faster, react quicker and give you stamina that lasts longer. Often times you don't get jitters, with them that come along with high amounts of caffeine, but you become very focused on the task at hand.

Ritalin is used quite a bit as well, and still is. Both pitchers and hitters take them to focus better.

Baseball players that took steroids or greenies before the new testing policy were not cheating because it was fair game to everybody, although they were committing a felony by taking them in a country where they are illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
                        He's not a cheater because they were not banned from the game when he took them. Everybody in the game was allowed to take them so they were fair game.

Although, he absolutely took them to gain an advantage over his apponent, period end of story. Greenies make you run faster, throw harder, swing faster, react quicker and give you stamina that lasts longer. Often times you don't get jitters, with them that come along with high amounts of caffeine, but you become very focused on the task at hand.

Ritalin is used quite a bit as well, and still is. Both pitchers and hitters take them to focus better.

Baseball players that took steroids or greenies before the new testing policy were not cheating because it was fair game to everybody, although they were committing a felony by taking them in a country where they are illegal.
                        Great post - You'll get no arguements from me.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem

Can you please explain to all of us how a substance that raises your standing heart rate helps you react quicker, swing faster and most absurdly give you more stamina?
                          Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
                            And Tim Raines used coke on the field?
                            When Tim's coke habits were at their peak, he was known to always slide head first when stealing a base, because he kept a tube/container of coke in his back pocket. True story.
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

to single out a retired player serves no real purpose other than sensationalism.

baseball can not go back and examine every single player. what would that achieve? what's done is done. active players are bound to the work agreement. if a player is found to have used - per the work agreement controls in place - then that player is subjest to the penalty that the agreement prescribes.

currently, that means a positive result of a properly administered drug test. anything short of that is simply not allowed. we can all acream and kick about it, but until the work agreement is changed...
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X