• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drstrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    This inspired me to find the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD_KMsfK2c
    Schmidt hit 230 and failed at 240. I think that Ferrigno actually failed at 290, but they gave it to him...but, remember, Lou was a bodybuilder, not an Olympic lifter. He was a very strong man, but clearly not familiar with the technique of what was basically the second part of a clean and jerk. Brian Oldfield, who was not nearly as pretty as Ferrigno but needed explosive power as a shotputter, did 310 easily and surely could have gone a lot higher. Tucker Fredrickson, a running back who had been retired for several years, totally owned Schmidt by hitting 260 lbs. If Schmidt had military pressed 230 I might be suspicious, but 230 with a lot of help from the legs is not insane for a guy his size who was well known as strong for a baseball player.

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    I believe Schmidt was probably on steroids as well.

Go find an episode of The Superstars with Schmidt in the weightlifting competition. He was push pressing 240 lbs. The most Lou Ferrigno could do was 290, I think, and he'd taken everything including cadaver glands. Schmidt was stronger than most of the NFL players.

Anyone who lifts weights regularly knows that's an unlikely lift.

I did a harder type of press (a military press) of 160 when I weighed 170 and was 16 years old. And my strength was not from doing weightlifting, because I actually had never lifted weights before then, but from doing judo. It's incredible that anyone would think that a grown man weighing 210 pounds could not lift 230 on an easier type of press.

Yes, I've lifted weights and that indeed might be an unlikely lift for an overweight 60 year old golfer, a soccer mom or a 12 year old. But a 25-35 year old, muscular 210 pound man should not find a 230 pound push press to be "unlikely" once they learn how to do the lift.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Go find an episode of The Superstars with Schmidt in the weightlifting competition. He was push pressing 240 lbs. The most Lou Ferrigno could do was 290, I think, and he'd taken everything including cadaver glands. Schmidt was stronger than most of the NFL players.

This inspired me to find the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGD_KMsfK2c
    Schmidt hit 230 and failed at 240. I think that Ferrigno actually failed at 290, but they gave it to him...but, remember, Lou was a bodybuilder, not an Olympic lifter. He was a very strong man, but clearly not familiar with the technique of what was basically the second part of a clean and jerk. Brian Oldfield, who was not nearly as pretty as Ferrigno but needed explosive power as a shotputter, did 310 easily and surely could have gone a lot higher. Tucker Fredrickson, a running back who had been retired for several years, totally owned Schmidt by hitting 260 lbs. If Schmidt had military pressed 230 I might be suspicious, but 230 with a lot of help from the legs is not insane for a guy his size who was well known as strong for a baseball player.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    sultan: ...it's very psychological and shooting just before game time might add to that "superhuman" feeling once you step in the box.

that just may be. but *feeling*, other than some sort of (false) confidence ain't gonna do for jack at the plate. canseco and mcgwire needing shots to feel a certain way? i ain't buyin'.
    Just threw it out there as a "maybe." Who knows with those chumps, but that's the only reason that makes any sense to me. It would be real confidence knowing that they were taking steroids, and them taking a shot would just give them a recent reminder of that.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    sultan: ...it's very psychological and shooting just before game time might add to that "superhuman" feeling once you step in the box.

that just may be. but *feeling*, other than some sort of (false) confidence ain't gonna do for jack at the plate. canseco and mcgwire needing shots to feel a certain way? i ain't buyin'.

Leave a comment:

replied
    runningshoes: I would suspect that once they're in your system, you can get immediate results.

not according to, uh, doctors and users.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    l Stereotype: Steroids are a process, you dont just " juice up " and expect results...

which is one of the reasons i immediately had some problems with parts of canseco's book. shooting up just prior to gametime? that part simply make no sense to me.
    It seems a bit off for sure, but it's hard to put ourselves in a users shoes. From all accounts, it's very psychological and shooting just before game time might add to that "superhuman" feeling once you step in the box.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    l Stereotype: Steroids are a process, you dont just " juice up " and expect results...

which is one of the reasons i immediately had some problems with parts of canseco's book. shooting up just prior to gametime? that part simply make no sense to me.
    I would suspect that once they're in your system, you can get immediate results.

I could be wrong, but that seems to make sense.

It takes an anti-depressent a couple weeks to get in you, but after that you feel daily benefits.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    On a sidenote

A great thing Schmidt talks about (and yes, I am saying this because I preach it constantly on this site)

is to compare players of one era to their contemporaries

Which is why despite the ERA+, OPS+ and win shares...I think alot of so called HOFers from this era, are just very good...not great

Leave a comment:

• l Stereotype
    replied
    Originally posted by digglahhh
    No you don't understand.

I'm not comparing greenies to steroids at all.

If a woman wants a nicer figure she can get lipo. But if she wants to oversome her insecurities, better herself and transform herself into a physically and mentally healthy person, she has to lose the weight through work and develop her self-esteem in the process.

I'm talking about the health vs. wealth argument, that the gains made through shortcuts help you cash in but don't help YOU, in any way that isn't cosmetic. Is the concept of depth completely lost?

Most choose wealth over health (physical or mental) but then again most are anxious, stressed, fearful, unattentive and largely unhappy regardless of their superfiscial accolades, its all too typical.

Your personal benefit has instrinsic value that can't be trumped by records, money or anything else. I don't make much money, although I have had many offers to, but I'd rather be happy. So I have, ahem, put my money where my mouth is.
    I see your point, which I believe is " why risk your life for something that benefits you now, but will harm you in the longrun ".

Leave a comment:

• digglahhh
    replied
    Originally posted by l Stereotype
    You dont understand...

I'm not saying one helps more than the other, but if you want an instant " boost " to play whatever sport you play better, greenies is the anwser.
    No you don't understand.

I'm not comparing greenies to steroids at all.

If a woman wants a nicer figure she can get lipo. But if she wants to oversome her insecurities, better herself and transform herself into a physically and mentally healthy person, she has to lose the weight through work and develop her self-esteem in the process.

I'm talking about the health vs. wealth argument, that the gains made through shortcuts help you cash in but don't help YOU, in any way that isn't cosmetic. Is the concept of depth completely lost?

Most choose wealth over health (physical or mental) but then again most are anxious, stressed, fearful, unattentive and largely unhappy regardless of their superfiscial accolades, its all too typical.

Your personal benefit has instrinsic value that can't be trumped by records, money or anything else. I don't make much money, although I have had many offers to, but I'd rather be happy. So I have, ahem, put my money where my mouth is.

Leave a comment:

• l Stereotype
    replied
    Originally posted by ESPNFan
    Hmm seems like where have heard this all before multiple times......

Yeah, I keep getting kicked off for some reason, this is my third SN.

Leave a comment:

• ESPNFan
    replied
    What greenies do is they give you a great boost right away, the second you take them. They help a lot in athletics, especially physical ones. I play multiple sports such as hockey, baseball, tennis, and soccer, and with my greenies I'm able to perform at an elite level in all those sports longer. You feel lighter, faster, and more durable, you definetly dont tire as quickly neither.
    Hmm seems like where have heard this all before multiple times......

Leave a comment:

• hiddengem
    replied
    Greenies you just take, pure and simple, no process, no regimen, it's much easier, and you benefit from it.

I'm not saying one helps more than the other, but if you want an instant " boost " to play whatever sport you play better, greenies is the anwser.
    You should be listening to this guy, he has as close an understanding of reality as I've heard.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X