• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncap
    PHORMER Phil's Phreak
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by hiddengem
    The same guy humped up many times in his career and hit 91. Why was that nights "hump" any different?
    Gee, did he hit 95 two weeks later, and 96 a week after that? Is this a scientific experiment? Billy Wagner hit 100 a number of times last year, but on many occasions couldn't get over 96 or 97. Maybe it was his biorhythms. Point is reaching a momentary peek is still not sustainable enhanced performance. Which is exactly what steroids provide.

Comment

• hiddengem
      ~I Walk The Line~
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
      Increased heart rate, adrenaline, and pushing himself harder than he normally would with no regard for what injury might occur? Just a guess.
      I suppose, I don't know. I just know that I've seen a kid run a 3.8 to first base on a greenie when his previous best was a 4.1.
      HG, you never really answered my question. I understand that from spring training on, players are rarely if ever at 100%. I meant 100% in terms of the "norm" that you would expect. If a normal player takes care of himself, is rested, strong, and focused, how far above "100%" do you think it would take him. Don't you think the true benefits come when you really need the pick me up, and it really can just take you back up to the norm? Just tryin' to get your perspective, your opinion is always appreciated.
      I don't know, 110%. I think that Greenies are used for that exactly. They raise your level of play back up to where you feel 100% fresh. Things don't hurt anymore, your arm feels great, your legs feel light, the bat feels light. They cure that 3:30 am wake up call you had to the airport to fly accross the country for a 7:05 start.

If one of my teamates takes a greenie before that game and I don't, he's going to have an edge over me, because I'll be dragging like a big dog and he'll feel like a million bucks.

Comment

• Sultan_1895-1948
        Prince of Pounders
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by johncap
        Gee, did he hit 95 two weeks later, and 96 a week after that? Is this a scientific experiment? Billy Wagner hit 100 a number of times last year, but on many occasions couldn't get over 96 or 97. Maybe it was his biorhythms. Point is reaching a momentary peek is still not sustainable enhanced performance. Which is exactly what steroids provide.
        Hey John, it seems we pretty much agree that individual performance can vary depending on a large number of factors. Whether it was the greenie that pushed him to 93 or not, who knows. Having said that HG is one of the most respected posters here for his background and his knowledge, so we should be careful not to come off overly rude or sarcastic. Not saying you meant to be harsh, it was probably in good fun

Comment

• hiddengem
          ~I Walk The Line~
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by johncap
          Ok, I give up. There is a reason why our union fought so hard to have a lesser policy against greenies than roids.

Comment

• runningshoes
            Saw Yaz launch one in '78
            • Aug 2005

Ok, I give up. There is a reason why our union fought so hard to have a lesser policy against greenies than roids.
            Don't be so cryptic HG, tell us the reason as you understand it.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• hiddengem
              ~I Walk The Line~
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by runningshoes53
              Don't be so cryptic HG, tell us the reason as you understand it.
              Because far more players rely on them than roids.

Comment

• runningshoes
                Saw Yaz launch one in '78
                • Aug 2005

If you had to guess, what percentage of players use them?
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                  • Jan 2000

Are you trying to get across the point that they fought so hard because they did not want to be put in a position where they might be in trouble if they did use them.They wanted to hang on to their greenies, is that your point.

It was not greenies that turned Barry into the size of the Hindenburg.
                  I don't think most would disagree wth your point, greenies can give one a boost, steroids can add muscle and strength.

Comment

• Sultan_1895-1948
                    Prince of Pounders
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                    I don't think most would disagree wth your point, greenies can give one a boost, steroids can add muscle and strength.
                    Loved the Hindenburg line Joe We can't sell steroids short though, as you know, they do more than just add muscle and strength. Steroids are like a permanent greenie with massive strength and stamina on top of it.

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                      • Jan 2000

I don't doubt that more would use greenies, simply because they fear the health hazards of steroids more. Makes sense to me. Both can do harm but lets face the facts, steroids are scarrier to most.

Comment

• hiddengem
                        ~I Walk The Line~
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                        If you had to guess, what percentage of players use them?
                        I dont know, it probably changes as the season wears on. Guys on the 40 man roster are the only ones that can take advantage of the 1st offense being a slap on the wrist, so the percentage of players under that policy will be much higher.

Comment

• CrimeInTheCards
                          Prospect
                          • Mar 2006

The same guy humped up many times in his career and hit 91. Why was that nights "hump" any different?

Well I "heard" it straight from Mike's mouth. He said nothing about being afraid of it. He simply said if he thought his competition was gaining an edge over him because of them, he would have considered them. He didn't think they were, so he didn't seek them out.

I agree with your post about a pitcher increasing the velocity of his fastball while using greenies - I knew a guy who went from 86mph-89mph because of greenies.

As a hockey player myself, They enable me to perform better, and longer, without them I don't produce nearly as much as I do when taking them. Anybody who isnt an apologist should know the impact greenies has on an athletes performance, pure and simple.

Comment

• hiddengem
                            ~I Walk The Line~
                            • Nov 2004

Are you trying to get across the point that they fought so hard because they did not want to be put in a position where they might be in trouble if they did use them.They wanted to hang on to their greenies, is that your point.
                            Yes

I agree.

Comment

• hiddengem
                              ~I Walk The Line~
                              • Nov 2004

I don't doubt that more would use greenies, simply because they fear the health hazards of steroids more. Makes sense to me. Both can do harm but lets face the facts, steroids are scarrier to most.

I've spoke to Dr.s that say a Cycle of steroids at the prescribed dosage is like lubing your car once a year.

Greenies give you instant feeback, while Roids are taken over a period of 3-8 weeks depending on your cycle. Roids are a process where Greenies are not.

Comment

• hiddengem
                                ~I Walk The Line~
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by CrimeInTheCards
                                I agree with your post about a pitcher increasing the velocity of his fastball while using greenies - I knew a guy who went from 86mph-89mph because of greenies.

As a hockey player myself, They enable me to perform better, and longer, without them I don't produce nearly as much as I do when taking them. Anybody who isnt an apologist should know the impact greenies has on an athletes performance, pure and simple.
                                Most of the folks on here are speaking based on pure speculation rather than real life experience. You and I understand what they do because we deal with them daily.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X