Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseball: Becoming more of a circus than a game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball: Becoming more of a circus than a game?

Lately most of what I have seen on the forum has been about the negatives in baseball: Illegal performance enhancers, lying, using notations to signify records that were broken by "cheaters", etc.

My question to everyone is simple... is baseball becoming more of a circus than a game?

I think it is, and I blame the media and fans equally for it. Too often does the media portray players in negative lights. Most major league players, or any sport for that matter, spend time helping out their community and doing good deeds. These deeds are quickly forgot when that player messes up once, the media plasters everywhere what the player did wrong, then the fans go and buy those publications and classify that player as a "ass" or "jerk". However the damage wouldn't be as bad toward those players if the fans werent also looking for any negative to demean those players and over-shadow their accomplishments.

An example: Alex Rodriguez is hated by many, for no real reason... Sure he signed the biggest contract in sports history, at the time, but why is that a reason to badger him? Rodriguez receives a great deal of hate by fans who overlook his on and off the field achivements. If you had a job, would you not wish to make the most money possible? I think we all would, and if you say no you are most likely lying to us and yourself.

But why all the hate toward Alex Rodriguez? He gives back to his community a great deal, he rarely speaks out against players, he even saved a boy's life last year from getting hit by a truck (http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...oy_from_truck/). But you rarely hear about those things, good news doesnt sell, bad news does.

The biggest example if negative publicity selling is, I'm sure you guessed it, steroids. All of the talk about the "Steroid/Juiced Era" in baseball yet only one potential Hall of Famer has tested positive for the substance. The issue has become so talked about that if it keeps up the game will lose many fans. But does the media care? No, not if they dont sell magazines, books or anything else they can find to sell. As soon as people become dis-interested in the steroid saga, they will move onto something else. Something else that sells.

It is no wonder that many baseball players do not wish to give fans autographs or talk with them anymore. Why should they put themselves at risk for something negative? But then again if they avoid talking to the press and fans, they are portrayed as selfish, not caring about anyone but themself. With the media hounding players today, it has really became a no-win situation for most.

The World Baseball Classic is now entering Round 2 and the season is about to begin, yet there are more posts about steroids on forums than anything about the game. And that's exactly what baseball is, a game. There is no life-or-death consequence if you do win or lose the World Series. Chicago had not won the World Series since the early 1900s before last year, and that city was moving along just fine.

I'm not saying I haven't made a quick judgement on players based on one-sided information, I'd be lying if I said that. But just try and remember next time you watch a game, or discuss a player in a forum. You are watching them play a game, it's a privilege for them to play and for you to be able to see them play for you. Don't think it's your right, because as soon as you do that, it's not a game anymore.

I dont think there is much talk about the WBC for a couple reasons. One, most the games arne't even on TV unless you have some type of special subscription to direct tv or whatever. I'd watch more games if they were on TV but they aren't on local television. Two, its really not what I thought it was going to be. Its still basically spring training in the way that star players are still only playing 4 or 5 innings. Not only that but a lot of good players chose not to take part in it. You got a guy like Al Leiter pitching for the US. Al Leiter reprsenting the US players? Come on now. His era was almost 6 last season. I think this will end up just lik the XFL. One time wonder. I dont see the WBC going on next season.

Comment

I thought Selig planned for the WBC to be every 4 years?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
        I thought Selig planned for the WBC to be every 4 years?
        The next one is in 2009. Anyways here in Canada we pretty much get all the games on TV especially if you have sattelite and get all the Sportsnet channels.

Comment

I find it interesting that the common knocks against the Sabermetric community is they don't really care about the game and just care about numbers. But if you read stuff by sabermetric writers and then read stuff by the mainstream media, you'll find that the SABR guys are far more interested in the game itself, while the mainstream media would rather write about why Milton Bradley will destroy any team he joins or how the game isn't as good as it once was.

Comment

Baseball is not baseball right now, it's just a business, the players care little for fans but expect more from them. Players that kids could look up to are gone and I dont see anyone right now that can step up. The sport is suffering from Greed, cheats, liars, Selig and owners that are willing to pay whatever for a mediocre team at best.
            Image hosting by Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by 1doug
              Baseball is not baseball right now, it's just a business, the players care little for fans but expect more from them. Players that kids could look up to are gone and I dont see anyone right now that can step up. The sport is suffering from Greed, cheats, liars, Selig and owners that are willing to pay whatever for a mediocre team at best.

Typical comment from somebody that doesn't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
                Agreed, HG.

Insert rhetorical cliche here. Such sweeping generality, romanticism of yore, unreasonalbe expectations, uttainable standards, and generic value judgments...he managed to pack all that into three lines. Impressive.
                THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

He's obviously reacting emotionally and using a pretty wide brush to paint his picture, but he's not entirely wrong and baseball players are not necessarily to blame for what he's pointing out.

Baseball is a business. If it were not we would still be playing it for fun in cow fields.

The greed is there. How many owners don’t give a rats’ ass about the game only in so much as its profits?

Some players not only do not care about fans; they have contempt for them.

The cheating is there. It always has been.

And liars?…we all know about them.

He's probably just pissed off like I am.
                  "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Sure there was truth in his comment but its so cliche. If he really feels that way, why hang out at BBF? Being frsutrated is one thing, wholly bashing the sport and environment with blanket insults is another. Not to mention the fact that baseball was never what he is saying it isn't anymore. Blind, unrealistic romanticism...
                    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

No clue? Please enlighten me. I love the game and have watched for more than 30 years, I have seen the large downward spin it has taken. Would I buy a ticket and go to a game? Of course. But please, do tell where a typical comment from someone like me, clueless, is wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                        Sure there was truth in his comment but its so cliche. If he really feels that way, why hang out at BBF? Being frsutrated is one thing, wholly bashing the sport and environment with blanket insults is another. Not to mention the fact that baseball was never what he is saying it isn't anymore. Blind, unrealistic romanticism...
                        Who knows?

Maybe he just doesn't know how to say what he feels.

I've been told a few times that some men have that problem.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                          1. Why hang out at BBF?
                          Because I love the game of baseball.

2. Bashing the sport.
                          Yes, I will bash and tell things how I see them, though you may feel differently, thats your opinion. When you a boo a player, for whatever reason, thats a form of bashing.

3. Blind.
                          Nope, I see pretty well, thanks.

4. Unrealistic
                          Possibly.

Comment

I think what happens, is a frustration comes out when baseball keeps getting black eyes. If you've ever had a chance to listen to MLB 175 Home Plate on XM radio, then you would have heard plenty of great commentary on baseball. I think that it is key to avoid the sensationalist show like ESPN radio show (Cowherd, Kusilius, etc.), the Tony Bruno type shows, all those guys that just bash everything, and are loud and obnoxious. These shows are all about ratings, and apparently, we Americans love our dirt on our ballplayers.

It's easy to get frustrated listening to crap like that. I was listening to the US and South Africa game the other day, and for the first 3-4 innings, Barry Bonds was in the booth. Sure, Mike Schmidt and Joe Castellano lobbed softball questions up to him, but it was actually quite a nice conversation to hear. They simply chose not to focus on the negative, and talked baseball with Bonds. Say what you will about Bonds, but the guy does know baseball. Yes, he made several comments concerning money, and it seemed as if he were fairly greedy, but he did have great commentary on the game.

The game of baseball has its problems. I believe the first thing we as fans could do, to help our game, is quit demanding the silly Howard Stern-like sports programs, that feature loud mouthed know it alls, that just yell stupid crap into the camera, all for ratings.
                            George Brett said it:

“If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out.”

“Even today, if the Royals win six games all year, if they're going to go 6-156, I hope they beat the Yankees six times.”

“A woman will be elected President before Wade Boggs is called out on strikes. I guarantee that.”

“If I stay healthy, I have a chance to collect 3,000 hits and 1,000 errors.”

Comment

Originally posted by 1doug
                              Well there has been 2 others posts that do a pretty good job of "enlightening" you. I'll add some things.

1) The game has ALWAYS been a business.
                              2) Plenty of players care for the fans, you are just looking through your "media goggles" again.

3) The game has ALWAYS had cheats and liars, from day 1.

4) There is no greed involved. It just happens to be a busniess where MILLIONS of dollars are involved, and you the fans are the reason millions are made. Players want their fair share, and they are absolutely entitled to it, because they are in fact the reason any money is made at all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X