Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which single season home run record do you respect the most?

I posted this poll for Johnny.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGuire

Roger Maris
    Barry Bonds
    12.64%
    Mark McGwire
    4.60%
    Roger Maris
    82.76%
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Yeah Maris did it in a ten team league, expansion year, playing under alot of pressure, and with no chemical help.

McGwire had andro for sure, possibly more in a 16 team league, expansion year...can assume he was facing more rested relievers then Maris who might have faced tired starters.

Bonds 16 team league apparantley had plenty of chemical help.

All 3 deserve respect but maris probably the most.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
      I posted this poll for Johnny.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGuire

Roger Maris
      Never thought about it... in my mind a record is a record is a record... so I guess Bonds' 73

Comment

--Ruth 27?

Comment

I didn't include Ruth because he set the bar.

I didn't think it was necessary.
          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

--He set the bar and then set it higher for himself and then jumped over it again - and then yet again. No matter how many HR someone else may hit in a season or career its highly unlikely anybody will match the Babe's dominance as a HR hitter. Maris was a fluke and the other two were juiced.

Comment

Wasn't the Babe juiced on beer and hot dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                --He set the bar and then set it higher for himself and then jumped over it again - and then yet again. No matter how many HR someone else may hit in a season or career its highly unlikely anybody will match the Babe's dominance as a HR hitter. Maris was a fluke and the other two were juiced.
                I agree that Maris was a fluke, but on the other I can't deny that he did beat the record and even if he was on a PED, I think we can all agree it didn't turn him to the monster Big Mac and Bonds became.
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

ok what is a PED?

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
                    ok what is a PED?
                    Performance enhancing drug.
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

To me its not even a contest. Maris easily.

The guys on the sauce breaking records shouldn't impress anyone.
                      Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

Like it was said already, I'll take the records as is, that's what they are. McGwire hit 70, Bonds hit 73, Maris hit 61. Maris gets props for no steroids, but as much as I don't like the use of steroids by the other two (or anyone for that matter), MLB and the general public weren't exactly complaining (until more recently). The MLB allowed this to go on, and while the players themselves obviously are at fault, because the MLB didn't do anything about it, I don't think anything of it.

Heck, I LOVED the Mcgwire/Sosa Chase back in the day, as did most people, and I knew they were using something, and the MLB knew, and didn't do anything about it, because the public was eating it right up, it brought people back to the game. They are just trying to woo the fans, they give them what they want. A few years ago, it was HR's and that is what we got, a LOT of them, now the fans want the game "cleaned up", so that's what they are doing (although the fans still want the HR's - sticky situation for them huh?!?). So I figure if the MLB allowed all of that to happen, then I won't doing anything. But I can understand the difference between Maris and McGwire, I know why we were seeing those HR's, I say the record book stands as is:

Bonds - 73
                        McGwire - 70
                        Sosa - 66
                        Maris - 61
                        Ruth - 60

I know that just because Bonds hit 13 more HR's in that season that Ruth did, that he was just THAT much better, it was more due to the "era". So I figure let the records stand, just with the understanding of how they came to be. Ruth was able to hit his because of a new, tighter ball, Barry was able to hit his because of drugs (tighter ball, small park, the list goes on). The environment was just "right" for it. But don't mistake this as saying that I condone illegally using steroids, as it is wrong, I figure, just leave things the way they are, and try to get back to they way things were, and hopefully we can leave the whole steroid issues behind us - and while they will never FULLY be gone, at least they won't be at the center of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
                          ok what is a PED?
                          Performance Enhancing Drug - Steroids

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
                            Performance Enhancing Drug - Steroids
                            I'm refering to Maris possibly taking an amphetamine which, of course, there is no evidence of but in the light of so many others taking them, the possibility exists.
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

And I have to go with Maris.

I'm not prone to giving legitimacy to the illegitimate unless we're talking about children.
                              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X