Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edgartohof
    Like it was said already, I'll take the records as is, that's what they are. McGwire hit 70, Bonds hit 73, Maris hit 61. Maris gets props for no steroids, but as much as I don't like the use of steroids by the other two (or anyone for that matter), MLB and the general public weren't exactly complaining (until more recently). The MLB allowed this to go on, and while the players themselves obviously are at fault, because the MLB didn't do anything about it, I don't think anything of it.

Still not buying that one, it's acceptable, it's OK because MLB had to know about it. In the end, the bottom line some were using steroids, they made that choice.

I would guess it's only OK because there was no ban on at that time, thats acceptable. But to say that they are to be excused because MLB did not get on this problem years ago is not a good enough alibi.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-12-2006, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I know it wasn't

part of the question and answer, but Ruth's 60 does it for me. This at a time when guys didn't hit the long ball. Maris I respect because of the pressure.

Comment

The Single-Season HR record has always been controversial ever since Maris broke the record. Maris didn't get full credit for playing in a 162 game season and McGwire and Bonds are "cheaters."
        Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
          I didn't include Ruth because he set the bar.

I didn't think it was necessary.
          I could add his 60 jacks in 1927 to the poll if you'd like.

I'd personally say that Ruth's over 154 games would be my top pick, followed by Maris, who did this despite not being as beloved as the then-injured Mickey, and he couldn't help being in a 162-game league.

As to Mac and Bonds, I'm not too sure if the word "respect" should be mentioned alongside their names re the HR record.
          Last edited by Mattingly; 03-12-2006, 09:39 AM.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
            Wasn't the Babe juiced on beer and hot dogs?
            and redheads...
            Johnny
            Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

I agree that Maris was a fluke, but on the other I can't deny that he did beat the record and even if he was on a PED, I think we can all agree it didn't turn him to the monster Big Mac and Bonds became.
              When you consider that Maris hit 275 dingers, whereas Big Mac hit 583 and Bonds hit 708, I'd say it's no contest.

As to greenies or something, unless someone wishes to prove that he took something illegal in the USA and/or illegal according to then-existing MLB rules, I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I posted this poll for Johnny.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most:

Barry Bonds

Mark McGuire

Roger Maris
                Thank you Shoes...
                The fact that Marris did it for a team in contention AND wasn't the popular choice by MLB or many of the 'fans' who wanted no part in Ruth's record beaten by 'mere' Roger (2 time MVP) versus the immortal Mick with the right Yankee pedigree makes it a true uphill battle.

Do you know what I really love about Marris is his feeling towards HR Ball 61. An excerpt from SF Gate tells a great little story:

(The fan who caught it) Sal Durante made $5,000 on No. 61, bought by a Sacramento restaurateur. Durante, 19 at the time, gave half to his parents and used the rest to get married. The wedding took place four weeks after he caught the ball. Media clogged the church entrance, and the couple barely got through.

"We lost our flower girl," said Rosemarie Durante, seated next to her husband. "Someone had to go find her to bring her to the reception."

...Durante got to meet slugger who made everything happen.

Before he sold the ball, he offered it to Maris, who advised him to take the money.

A while later, a package came in the mail. It was a wedding gift from Maris, a silver gravy boat. They still have it, in their 42nd year of marriage. No. 61 didn't bring in a lot of money, but it made them very rich.
                Johnny
                Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

What Mac, Bonds and Sosa did is impressive, no doubt. But my vote goes to Maris, he did it in a tougher time, not in the smaller parks that are built today just for the homerun. But watching the Sosa/Mac year was as exciting as it could get.
                  Image hosting by Photobucket

Comment

Maris!

No doubt at all from this precinct! Roger Maris all the way. Maris went through sheer torment from the media & the baseball establishment. The * business stank from the get go-the very next year Maury Wills broke Ty Cobb's base stealing record but nary a word about an * by his name! Of course, Commissioner Ford Frick had never been Ty Cobb's ghostwriter! Brownie31

Comment

Rodger Maris is the season home run leader. He wasn't on steroids unlike Bonds and McGwire which let them to hit unbelivable numbers. But to me the most impressive is Ruths 60 in 1927. He played in 10 less games with 50 less at bats. And the parks were even bigger then in Maris's day. Even so Maris holds the title fair and square, unlike Bonds and McGwire who took performance enhancing drugs at the time to acheive home run hitting supremecy.
                      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by 1doug
                        What Mac, Bonds and Sosa did is impressive, no doubt. But my vote goes to Maris, he did it in a tougher time, not in the smaller parks that are built today just for the homerun. But watching the Sosa/Mac year was as exciting as it could get.
                        Are the parks really that much smaller? I believe the Yankee Stadium right field walls (might have been left field) were only around 300 feet from homeplate...

Comment

Ruth did his in a 154 game season, i respect that the most

however, I view Roger Maris as the single season holder

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                            Rodger Maris is the season home run leader. He wasn't on steroids unlike Bonds and McGwire which let them to hit unbelivable numbers. But to me the most impressive is Ruths 60 in 1927. He played in 10 less games with 50 less at bats. And the parks were even bigger then in Maris's day. Even so Maris holds the title fair and square, unlike Bonds and McGwire who took performance enhancing drugs at the time to acheive home run hitting supremecy.
                            http://ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm

If you go to "American League" then "present", then "Yankee Stadium", you'll find the following for dimensions over the years:

Dimensions: Left field: 280.58 (1923), 301 (1928), 312 (1976), 318 (1988); left side of bullpen gate in short left-center: 395 (1923), 402 (1928), 387 (1976), 379 (1985); right side of bullpen gate: 415 (1937); deepest left-center: 500 (1923), 490 (1924), 457 (1937), 430 (1976), 411 (1985), 399 (1988); left side of cente-field screen: 466 (1937); center field: 487 (1923), 461 (1937), 463 (1967), 417 (1976), 410 (1985), 408 (1988); deepest right-center: 429 (1923), 407 (1937), 385 (1976); left side of bullpen gate in short right-center: 350 (1923), 367 (1937), 353 (1976); right side of bullpen gate: 344 (1937); right field 294.75 (1923), 295 (1930), 296 (1939), 310 (1976), 314 (1988); backstop: 82 (1942), 80 (1953), 84 (1976); foul territory: large for the catcher behind home plate, but small for fielders down the foul lines.

Fences: Left-field foul line: 3.92 (3 wire above .92 concrete, 1923), 8 (canvas, 1976); [i]left-center, left of visitors’ bullpen: 3.58 (3 wire above .58 concrete); right of visitors’ bullpen: 7.83 (3 wire above 4.83 concrete), 7 (canvas, 1976); center field, left screen when up for hitters’ background: 20 (1953), 22.25 (1959), 22.42 (1954); screen when down: 13.83, (canvas, 1976); right-center, right of screen: 14.5 (3 wire above 11.5 concrete, 1923); left of home bullpen: 7.83 (3 wire above 4.83 concrete, 1923); right of home bullpen: 3.58 (3 wire above .58 concrete, 1923), 8 (canvas, 1976), 9 (canvas, 1979); right field foul line: 3.75 (3 wire above .75 concrete, 1923), 10 (canvas, 1976).

As to San Francisco's renamed AT&T Park, formerly SBC Park, here are its dimensions, from the link in this paragraph:

Field Dimensions
                            Left Foul Line: 339 Feet
                            Right Foul Line: 309 Feet
                            Center Field: 399 Feet
                            Left-Center Field Alley: 364 Feet
                            Right-Center Field Alley: 421 Feet

Comment

Out of the choices given, I picked Maris.

If Ruth's 60 in 154 games was an option, that would be my choice. But it wasn't listed.

Comment

I suppose I respect Maris' the most, even with Mantle behind him. He put up with the most, not deservedly so.

Bonds' was still the most daunting if we're not talking Ruth. Pac Bell/SBC is a terrible HR park, and Bonds set the then records for HRs and walks.

At least Maris is still the AL king.
                                (fantasy football)
                                JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
                                DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
                                JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X