Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which single season home run record do you respect the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattingly
    Interesting stats. Where'd you get those from?

If I may trouble you some more, can you or someone else please show Ruth's home and away stats? Not just HR, but BB, 2B, 3B, H, etc.
    Some home away numbers from 1927.

--------AB-----Ba-------2B-----3B----Hr----Slg.----TB-----RBI's-----BB
    Home--253----.372-----10------4-----28---.775----196----70-------62
    Away--287----.341-----19------4-----32---.770----221----94-------76

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
      what about the 144-game season records?
      why do those guys get short-changed?
      Thats a thought, seldom does anyone even consider those shorter seasons.

Comment

we giant fans will always wonder about matty williams and what might have been.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by aarond23
          Wasn't the Babe juiced on beer and hot dogs?

I hope your not serious on this comment. Assuming from your smiley, you probably aren't.

HOWEVER, there has been a lot of comment to that very thing. Ruth being hopped up on beer, drinking, etc. And these people ARE serious. It blows my mind to see people comparing HGH, andro, etc. to hot dogs and beer. This is like the nutjobs who insist on compating gays to minorities. What a load of crap all this is.
          George Brett said it:

“If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out.”

“Even today, if the Royals win six games all year, if they're going to go 6-156, I hope they beat the Yankees six times.”

“A woman will be elected President before Wade Boggs is called out on strikes. I guarantee that.”

“If I stay healthy, I have a chance to collect 3,000 hits and 1,000 errors.”

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
            we giant fans will always wonder about matty williams and what might have been.
            lautrec, looks like he was just kiddin'.

WC- yeah, he had 43 in 112 games. One dong every 10.3 AB up to that point. Although that's a large chunk of the season, you don't think he would have regressed towards his normal level? Who knows though huh, could have just stayed in the zone. Shame we'll never know. Btw, was Bonds hitting third or fourth during that season?

Comment

On Sep. 6th and 7th of '27 Babe had 5 homers. Anyone know what the record is for consecutive games?

nevermind, I read it wrong. Sep. 6th was a double header, so he only had 5 in 3 consecutive games.
              Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-13-2006, 09:04 PM.

Comment

the record is 8 games. Held by Don Mattingly, Griffey Jr, and a third guy- I believe Dale Long.

Comment

Originally posted by Pghfan987
                  the record is 8 games. Held by Don Mattingly, Griffey Jr, and a third guy- I believe Dale Long.
                  Right. 8 consecutive games. I meant the total number of homers in either a 2 game or 3 game stretch. Any way to look that up?

Comment

Ah sorry, I read it wrong. 5 is the record. I know Shawn Green has it, but he is tied with some other people.

Comment

And Green hit 7 in that 3 game stretch, which I believe is the record for three games.

Comment

Wow. Ok, thanks.

Comment

side note:

September 30th, 1927 Ruth hit number 60 off of Tom Zachary of the Senators. Who pinch hit for Zachary in the ninth ? That's right, Walter Johnson. It was the "Big Train's" final appearance and he flied out to Ruth. In addition to winning 416 games, Johnson hit (.236) with (24) home runs in his career.

Comment

I'd probably vote for Ruth's 60. To me, the records themselves mean little intinsically. Their true meaning is in relation to, and as a reflection of the player who sets them. That's why nobody cares about the record for most HRs in 3 consecutive games- because its held by Shawn Green. The single season homerun record is of value because its ownership should reflect the greatest power hitter of all time. In that light, Ruth's is the most meaningful because his ownership of the record was most "accurate" in terms of what the record is supposed to represent.

Were Jimmy Rollins to break Joe D's 56, the new, and presumably more amazing record would actually evolve to be less revered than it was when it was held by Joey D, basically because it would be held by Jimmy Rollins as opposed to Dimaggio.
                            Last edited by digglahhh; 03-22-2006, 10:56 AM.
                            THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by Rennie Stennett
                              September 30th, 1927 Ruth hit number 60 off of Tom Zachary of the Senators. Who pinch hit for Zachary in the ninth ? That's right, Walter Johnson. It was the "Big Train's" final appearance and he flied out to Ruth. In addition to winning 416 games, Johnson hit (.236) with (24) home runs in his career.
                              Since you mentioned Zachary...on a sider side note:

That 60th homer in '27 was hit down the right field line just fair, and Zachary was screaming "Foul Ball, Foul Ball!!!". He argued with the ump for awhile as Ruth rounded the bases, but the ball was fair.

In 1947 Zachary was part of the festivities at Yankee Stadium, the last time Babe every put on a Yankee uniform. At one point Zachary shook hands with Ruth, and in his cancer stricken voice Babe said, "You crooked arm son of a bitch, are you still claiming that ball was foul?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
                                No doubt at all from this precinct! Roger Maris all the way. Maris went through sheer torment from the media & the baseball establishment. The * business stank from the get go-the very next year Maury Wills broke Ty Cobb's base stealing record but nary a word about an * by his name! Of course, Commissioner Ford Frick had never been Ty Cobb's ghostwriter! Brownie31
                                Roger Maris, no * required. To put up with all the BS he had to endure, and to still hit 61 was an acheivement in itself.

Ford C. Frick was such a butthead.
                                "The most cowardly thing in the world is blaming mistakes upon the umpires. Too many managers strut around on the field trying to manage the umpires instead of their teams." - Bill Klem

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X