• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-rod gets game winning hit vs Japan

what a game

team Japan is loaded with MLB-talent players

Originally posted by blackout805

I was literally drooling over some of those players, wishing I could have them on my team.

Comment

I was quite impressed although ive known that Japan has alot of talent out there. But its too bad because Japan should not have lost or lost because of that hit by A-rod. That Japenese player was called out in the 8th on the tag up to home which would of made it a 4-3 ball game at the time. Too bad the WBC couldnt of had Major Leauge umpires. I cant complain though the U.S. did win but not fair and square.
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

That game is just the opening act for the bigger matchup this evening

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
          what a game

Do you think Japanese players in general are more well rounded? More fundamentals, hustle, respect for the game, less ego, etc?

ps. not a loaded or angled question, just wondering your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
            I was quite impressed although ive known that Japan has alot of talent out there. But its too bad because Japan should not have lost or lost because of that hit by A-rod. That Japenese player was called out in the 8th on the tag up to home which would of made it a 4-3 ball game at the time. Too bad the WBC couldnt of had Major Leauge umpires. I cant complain though the U.S. did win but not fair and square.

it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It was 3-3 with the bases loaded. That last hit by A-rod would have drove in 2 easy. So even if it was 4-3 we still would have won.

Comment

I'm guessing that the A-Rod Clutch-O-Meter is finally putting up something decent. One more hit by him and another by Bernie for Puerto Rico, I just may become a WBC fan after all! :gt
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Greerman29
                it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It was 3-3 with the bases loaded. That last hit by A-rod would have drove in 2 easy. So even if it was 4-3 we still would have won.
                I think it mattered a lot. The Japanese had to play a different type of defense because the go ahead run was on 3rd base. If they were already leading 4-3 they could have approached the hitters differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                  Do you think Japanese players in general are more well rounded? More fundamentals, hustle, respect for the game, less ego, etc?

ps. not a loaded or angled question, just wondering your opinion.
                  Sounds like an interesting question. You may try putting together a post on that in the International forum. I do remember that we have several forumers here either from or having lived in Asia, so perhaps they can provide some insight.

I do remember that when Hideki Matsui declined to play for Japan (for which George Steinbrenner was very happy), Hideki supposedly told this to Sadaharu Oh, the Japanese HR legend and team manager, personally. I'm not sure if he got on the phone or took a flight, but this seemed to be in synch with what I understand to be normal Japanese behavior re respect to one's elders.

I thought it was a great gesture on Matsui's part, considering the respect that Oh has commanded over the years, as well as Hideki's ties to Japan and their baseball-happy media.
                  Originally posted by Greerman29
                  I'm not sure how many outs there were after this or how many were on base after the out at home, but who knows if a single by the Japanese team wouldn't have brought someone else home that inning.
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about. That A-Rod came in the Clutch, or the fact that I actually jumped off the couch and yelled over the fact he did it. Cheering a gamewinning A-Rod hit... that's something I NEVER thought I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamingboy
                      I'm not sure what I'm more surprised about. That A-Rod came in the Clutch, or the fact that I actually jumped off the couch and yelled over the fact he did it. Cheering a gamewinning A-Rod hit... that's something I NEVER thought I'd do.
                      Heck, *SEEING* an A-Rod game-winning hit is something I thought I wouldn't hear about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Heck, *SEEING* an A-Rod game-winning hit is something I thought I wouldn't hear about.

I would blame your pitching the last 2 years not A-Rod

Comment

If the ump hadn't put his foot in it in that 8th inning, who knows how long the Japanese would have continues batting and scoring? It might not have been 4-3 in the 9th, but 7-3, or some such score. So that infamous play might well have made a HEEYUGE difference in how the game came out.

Anyway, seeing that Japanese team made me wish there was a TV network dedicated to baseball -- not just American baseball, but games from all over the world, so we could see some Japanese League games, and become better acquainted with the players and their style of play. I want to see those players some more! How much more exciting it would have been if we'd been able to watch Ichiro (or his Japanese kindred) for years before he made his move to the US!
                          --Annie
                          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                          Remember Yellowdog
                          ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                            If the ump hadn't put his foot in it in that 8th inning, who knows how long the Japanese would have continues batting and scoring? It might not have been 4-3 in the 9th, but 7-3, or some such score. So that infamous play might well have made a HEEYUGE difference in how the game came out.
                            Not only would Japan have had a 4-3 lead in the top of the 8th with the right call, they would have had men on 1st and 2nd with 2 out. Even one more single gives them a 5-3 lead. It's a shame that such a critical decision was blown.

Jim Albright
                            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83
                              I would blame your pitching the last 2 years not A-Rod
                              *BONK!*

Now where did these LA types coming off gettin' on the case of Yankee pitching?

Alexander the Great has ruled for today. :gt
                              Originally posted by jalbright
                              Not only would Japan have had a 4-3 lead in the top of the 8th with the right call, they would have had men on 1st and 2nd with 2 out. Even one more single gives them a 5-3 lead. It's a shame that such a critical decision was blown.

Jim Albright
                              Not always. If it's a bloop single, a guy doesn't always score from 2B. From 3B, definitely a single scores him, but there have been bases loaded scenarios where only the 3B runner has scored.

If it's a hard-hit single that gets past the fielder, that'll score a guy from 2B.
                              Last edited by Mattingly; 03-12-2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X