X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by iPod
    Maybe he just thinks the WBC is stupid, and that as a result of it, 3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.
    So, he's adamently against it, but doesn't have a reason other than "he thinks it's stupid"?

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it?

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    They may be heading back to ST real soon

Originally posted by iPod
    ...3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.
    Or maybe only the first week or two, since Team USA might not make it to the next round. They sure didn't look ready to play against South Korea, and could face elimination if they don't beat Mexico. Mathematically, they could get bounced before even playing team Mex. if Japan beats South Korea in nine innings and score seven runs or less, according to the formula used.

Leave a comment:

• iPod
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.

Just because the players who happened to go to the WBC from the Yankees aren't that old or injury prone, it doesn't change that it was the reason he was against it...rosters were decided well after the owners vote.

I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?
    Maybe he just thinks the WBC is stupid, and that as a result of it, 3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.

Leave a comment:

• Boston Boxer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    George Steinbrenner likes putting his best players on the field. He was against the WBC. When Jeter, Damon, A-Rod and Bernie participated, George was upset.

George has requested that Posada not participate for Puerto Rico, and was more than happy that Hideki Matsui didn't participate, as he may have been expected to, for Japan.

Johnny Damon is sitting out his 2nd game because of some shoulder problem. Was George entirely wrong on this?
    I am with you on this one...for the money George (and other owners) shell out he should be able to ban them from playing. I think that a clause should be put into contracts or players have to sign a waiver stating if they choose to play in the WBC and they are injured, then part of their contract could be voided. If i am paying 10 mil on a player who cant play, then i am going to be plenty upset.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    big lou: players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.

yer right about the trash. sometimes things just happen.
    but teams have players under contract and own their services. if the unfortunate occurs and a player gets hurt, teams want the injury to at least occur on their own dime, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    mattingly: Damon is sitting out his 2nd game because of some shoulder problem. Was George entirely wrong?

we can not go back and say so-and-so got hurt, so steinbrenner's fears were vaild. or none of his players got injured, so steinbrenner was wrong.
    steinbrenner was either right or not depending on whatever one happens to believe about the rights of the individual player v the rights of the owning team.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by pacewon
    You think Steinbrenner gives a damn if Al Leiter gets hurt in this thing? Give me a break.
    Umm....what?

When did I say anything that could possibly be taken as "George Steinbrenner cares if Al Leiter gets hurt"?

Leave a comment:

• Big Lou1224
    replied
    Originally posted by pacewon
    I don't wish harm or injury on anybody, but I think a lot of people who have criticized the Yankees for having concern about their players would be singing a different tune if a key player from their team were to tear his ACL in this WBC and miss the '06 season.
    I really don't understand this thinking at all...players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.

Leave a comment:

• Riverdog
    replied
    How come these guys got beat up? Huh? They may have looked impressive once in a while but they sure stunk it up other times. What's up with that? They didn't take it seriously enough. These guys are highly competitive athletes and need to stay at the top of their game because they are always being watched very closely.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.
    You think Steinbrenner gives a damn if Al Leiter gets hurt in this thing? Give me a break.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805
    is it possible for an MLB team to purchase the rights to a player from Cuba? or would Castro never rent out a player?
    Ask in the International forum thread I'd linked to, which you'd quoted. "Agent Libre" and "Cubano100%" seem to be knowledgeable in that area.

My guess is just as good as yours in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Some clarification

If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics....
    Much of what Agente Libre replied is true, but asylum status is far from automatic. In fact, every single defection is handled on a case by case basis, regardless of country of origin. Cubans get no such preferential treatment, but the current regime is still one of the best examples of good reason to seek refuge in the US. The State Dept. did indeed meet with Fidel's aides to offer assurances that the Cuban team would be kept together and discouraged from attending many otherwise public places in San Juan and San Diego; no other team in the tournament was given the extensive security detail accompanying team Cuba. Still, if a player wanted to defect, he could quite easily avoid any attempts to prevent him from doing so, particularly because there aren't armed guards posted at the sides of the dugouts.
    Last edited by trosmok; 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805
    is it possible for an MLB team to purchase the rights to a player from Cuba? or would Castro never rent out a player?
    Sounds like that would violate the official embargo against doing business with Cuba.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics. I asked and received the following:

Still, that bugs me as somewhat unfair. Ya see, we Yankee fans enjoy going to the Baseball Supermarket and pick up "one of these, one of those" from unsuspecting teams. Hey, your team is next.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    The State Dept. gave assurances to Fidel that no Cuban players could defect while on Puerto Rican or U.S. soil, so George couldn't get his hands on the top prospects from that country, and that is another big reason he wasn't too hot on the WBC idea. He wouldn't profit at all from the exhibitions, so he saw no reason to have his players participate since he couldn't get his grubby mitts on any of the loot this time around.
    If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics. I asked and received the following:
    Originally posted by Agente Libre
    Any Cuban who reaches U.S. soil, which includes P.R., is automatically entitled to refugee status if they ask for it. All any Cuban needs to do is approach a police officer -- or anyone else -- and say they want asylum. They would need to go get fingerprinted, etc., but that's it. There is no risk of being refused unless they had personally worked for Fidel and tortured people or something heinous like that.
    So what about if they did this in the WBC, which was approved by both Cuba and the USA (after some stalls by US President Bush). Since Cuba played in PR around Friday, if one of their players wanted asylum at that time, would they be granted this?
    Originally posted by Agente Libre
    Any Cuban on U.S. soil is entitled to asylum. End of story.

The agreement to allow Cuba to play in WBC does not change that fact at all. Any or all of the Cuban players or staff could defect and there's nothing Castro can do about it.

Obviously, Castro knows this, which is why at least 90% of the players are known communists or at least loyal to Cuba.
    Still, that bugs me as somewhat unfair. Ya see, we Yankee fans enjoy going to the Baseball Supermarket and pick up "one of these, one of those" from unsuspecting teams. Hey, your team is next.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X