Thank You A-Rod, Damon, Jeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacewon
    Yeah, look at all these old guys the Yankees have participating... Jeter is 31, A-Rod is 30, Damon is 32
    I never said those three are old....but do you argue that in general the Yankees don't have one of the older, more expensive, frailer teams?
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Pghfan987
      How is the chance of injury in the WBC that much greater than getting injured in a Spring Training Game?
      That's simple. For one, star players are going to play more in the WBC than they would in ST, and secondly they have something to play for in the WBC - national pride - that will put them at a higher risk for injury. Several players that pulled out of this thing have noted that being ready for the regular season is more important to them. Do I want my team's best players busting their butts in Selig's meaningless money maker nonsense a few weeks before the season starts? No way, and I think it takes an ignorant person to slam Steinbrenner for feeling the same way (not talking about you here Pghfan, just people in general).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
        I never said those three are old....but do you argue that in general the Yankees don't have one of the older, more expensive, frailer teams?
        I do agree with that, but since none of Steinbrenner's star players that are participating in the WBC are old are fragile it's a meaningless point to make.

Comment

Im glad the Yankee players did play, they are defiently helping out the USA right now. This is the first time I've ever rooted for Yankee players. I love how the love for a country can bring bitter rivals to an agreement.
          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

The Yankees didn't post it, though

Originally posted by lautrec
            The Yankees displayed a sign by the customer service booth on the main concourse,....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
            The identity of whomever posted the hand lettered sign has not been determined, but it was certainly not a member of the Yankees organization. For one thing, the team was misspelled "Yankess", and when this error was brought to the attention of game day staff, the sign was promptly removed. Frankensteinbrenner would never apologize to the fans for anything, and certainly not for something he has no personal control over. The players' union and the commissioner's office are the ones putting on the show, and except for the lousy timing (March madness dominates the sports broadcasting in prime time), I think the exhibitions have been an absolute gas. Viva Cuba!
            Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

I do agree with that, but since none of Steinbrenner's star players that are participating in the WBC are old are fragile it's a meaningless point to make.
              Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.

Just because the players who happened to go to the WBC from the Yankees aren't that old or injury prone, it doesn't change that it was the reason he was against it...rosters were decided well after the owners vote.

I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

No percentage

Not at all...
                I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?
                The State Dept. gave assurances to Fidel that no Cuban players could defect while on Puerto Rican or U.S. soil, so George couldn't get his hands on the top prospects from that country, and that is another big reason he wasn't too hot on the WBC idea. He wouldn't profit at all from the exhibitions, so he saw no reason to have his players participate since he couldn't get his grubby mitts on any of the loot this time around. The third reason I can imagine is that he didn't come up with the idea, and wouldn't be in charge, so what could he get out of encouraging or supporting the WBC at all? He is so shortsighted, as evidenced by his "win now, or else!" credo, that he can't see the future returns of expanding the fan base for international baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by trosmok
                  The State Dept. gave assurances to Fidel that no Cuban players could defect while on Puerto Rican or U.S. soil, so George couldn't get his hands on the top prospects from that country, and that is another big reason he wasn't too hot on the WBC idea. He wouldn't profit at all from the exhibitions, so he saw no reason to have his players participate since he couldn't get his grubby mitts on any of the loot this time around.
                  If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics. I asked and received the following:
                  Originally posted by Agente Libre
                  Any Cuban who reaches U.S. soil, which includes P.R., is automatically entitled to refugee status if they ask for it. All any Cuban needs to do is approach a police officer -- or anyone else -- and say they want asylum. They would need to go get fingerprinted, etc., but that's it. There is no risk of being refused unless they had personally worked for Fidel and tortured people or something heinous like that.
                  Originally posted by Mattingly
                  So what about if they did this in the WBC, which was approved by both Cuba and the USA (after some stalls by US President Bush). Since Cuba played in PR around Friday, if one of their players wanted asylum at that time, would they be granted this?
                  Originally posted by Agente Libre
                  Any Cuban on U.S. soil is entitled to asylum. End of story.

The agreement to allow Cuba to play in WBC does not change that fact at all. Any or all of the Cuban players or staff could defect and there's nothing Castro can do about it.

Obviously, Castro knows this, which is why at least 90% of the players are known communists or at least loyal to Cuba.
                  Still, that bugs me as somewhat unfair. Ya see, we Yankee fans enjoy going to the Baseball Supermarket and pick up "one of these, one of those" from unsuspecting teams. Hey, your team is next.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics. I asked and received the following:

Still, that bugs me as somewhat unfair. Ya see, we Yankee fans enjoy going to the Baseball Supermarket and pick up "one of these, one of those" from unsuspecting teams. Hey, your team is next.
                    is it possible for an MLB team to purchase the rights to a player from Cuba? or would Castro never rent out a player?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
                      is it possible for an MLB team to purchase the rights to a player from Cuba? or would Castro never rent out a player?
                      Sounds like that would violate the official embargo against doing business with Cuba.

Comment

Some clarification

If that's true, then it's contrary to what I'd been answered to in this thread in the International forum re Cuba's politics....
                        Much of what Agente Libre replied is true, but asylum status is far from automatic. In fact, every single defection is handled on a case by case basis, regardless of country of origin. Cubans get no such preferential treatment, but the current regime is still one of the best examples of good reason to seek refuge in the US. The State Dept. did indeed meet with Fidel's aides to offer assurances that the Cuban team would be kept together and discouraged from attending many otherwise public places in San Juan and San Diego; no other team in the tournament was given the extensive security detail accompanying team Cuba. Still, if a player wanted to defect, he could quite easily avoid any attempts to prevent him from doing so, particularly because there aren't armed guards posted at the sides of the dugouts.
                        Last edited by trosmok; 03-14-2006, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
                          Ask in the International forum thread I'd linked to, which you'd quoted. "Agent Libre" and "Cubano100%" seem to be knowledgeable in that area.

My guess is just as good as yours in that regard.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.
                            You think Steinbrenner gives a damn if Al Leiter gets hurt in this thing? Give me a break.

Comment

How come these guys got beat up? Huh? They may have looked impressive once in a while but they sure stunk it up other times. What's up with that? They didn't take it seriously enough. These guys are highly competitive athletes and need to stay at the top of their game because they are always being watched very closely.
                              Baseball Drills

Comment

I don't wish harm or injury on anybody, but I think a lot of people who have criticized the Yankees for having concern about their players would be singing a different tune if a key player from their team were to tear his ACL in this WBC and miss the '06 season.
                                I really don't understand this thinking at all...players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X