Thank You A-Rod, Damon, Jeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacewon
    You think Steinbrenner gives a damn if Al Leiter gets hurt in this thing? Give me a break.
    Umm....what?

When did I say anything that could possibly be taken as "George Steinbrenner cares if Al Leiter gets hurt"?
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

mattingly: Damon is sitting out his 2nd game because of some shoulder problem. Was George entirely wrong?

we can not go back and say so-and-so got hurt, so steinbrenner's fears were vaild. or none of his players got injured, so steinbrenner was wrong.
      steinbrenner was either right or not depending on whatever one happens to believe about the rights of the individual player v the rights of the owning team.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

big lou: players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.

yer right about the trash. sometimes things just happen.
        but teams have players under contract and own their services. if the unfortunate occurs and a player gets hurt, teams want the injury to at least occur on their own dime, so to speak.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          George Steinbrenner likes putting his best players on the field. He was against the WBC. When Jeter, Damon, A-Rod and Bernie participated, George was upset.

George has requested that Posada not participate for Puerto Rico, and was more than happy that Hideki Matsui didn't participate, as he may have been expected to, for Japan.

Johnny Damon is sitting out his 2nd game because of some shoulder problem. Was George entirely wrong on this?
          I am with you on this one...for the money George (and other owners) shell out he should be able to ban them from playing. I think that a clause should be put into contracts or players have to sign a waiver stating if they choose to play in the WBC and they are injured, then part of their contract could be voided. If i am paying 10 mil on a player who cant play, then i am going to be plenty upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
            Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.

Just because the players who happened to go to the WBC from the Yankees aren't that old or injury prone, it doesn't change that it was the reason he was against it...rosters were decided well after the owners vote.

I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?
            Maybe he just thinks the WBC is stupid, and that as a result of it, 3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.
            "Hall of Famer Whitey Ford now on the field... pleading with the crowd for, for some kind of sanity!"

Comment

They may be heading back to ST real soon

Originally posted by iPod
              ...3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.
              Or maybe only the first week or two, since Team USA might not make it to the next round. They sure didn't look ready to play against South Korea, and could face elimination if they don't beat Mexico. Mathematically, they could get bounced before even playing team Mex. if Japan beats South Korea in nine innings and score seven runs or less, according to the formula used.
              Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Originally posted by iPod
                Maybe he just thinks the WBC is stupid, and that as a result of it, 3 of his best players are spending Spring Training not thinking about the Yankees.
                So, he's adamently against it, but doesn't have a reason other than "he thinks it's stupid"?

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it?

Comment

Adventures in logic

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it?
                  If circuitous logics works, employ it.
                  Seriously, if you don't like something because "it sucks", and it sucks because you don't like it, the next logical question is: well then how come so much stuff in this world sucks?
                  Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

it looks like Damon has shoulder tendenitis

Comment

I was looking for a good thread to post this article at ESPN from Jim Caple, and I think this is it. I think this captures some of the emotion I feel watching Yankee players representing the U.S. I've been wanting something like the WBC for over a decade now and I'm glad it's finally happening, more as a fan of baseball than as a fan of team USA. That said, I'm glad that the players who chose to show pride in both decided to ignore Steinbrenner's menacing and decided to show the world that there are some things more important than money. The sacrifice isn't quite on par with Pat Tilman's, but it's long since time that that we show respect for it.

2007 World Series Champions
                      The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
                        it looks like Damon has shoulder tendenitis
                        Damon's shoulder was giving him trouble for most of the second half of last year, so this isn't a real shocker.

Comment

Damon's shoulder was giving him trouble for most of the second half of last year, so this isn't a real shocker.
                          He injured his shoulder diving for a ball in early June, in a game v. the Angels, and re-injured it diving back to second base on a pickoff attempt in... August? It began to seriously affect his swing about mid-August, anyway, and caused him to plummet out of the batting race. He still finished a respectable .318 or something, but had been hitting close to .350 for much of the season to that point.

Can't blame the WBC...blame Orlando Cabrera; he's the one that hit the sinking liner Damon dove for.
                          --Annie
                          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                          Remember Yellowdog
                          ABNY

Comment

Well, after perusing this thread, it seems a number of you are in Steinbrenner's camp. I certainly can see the logic in George's reasoning, that hey, he owns these guys, lock stock and barrel, so he feels like he should have absolute control of them. There is definitely logic there.

Is the WBC all about profit? I sure wish I could say it wasn't. But, I think that would be naivete on my part. It does look like some of the teams are playing for pride and country, though. Perhaps it's very good acting on their part. I think the players do care, for the most part, though.

I reluctantly have to agree, that baseball is a business, and that said, businesses are about profit. This is a good thing, the concept and persuit of profit. I think my main wish, is that it wouldn't so outwardly appear to be solely for profit and bucks.

This will never happen, but what if, just what if,,,,,Steinbrenner, and ALL the owners got behind something like this, and said, hey, we're the US, this is our game, and we're going to field the best possible team, and SUPPORT them 100%, and treat them like baseball conqourers, and try to win this thing, FOR THE FANS, FOR THE US! You can count on us, United States Citizens!

LOL - I'm dreaming,,, I know. But, wow, would that make a difference?
                            George Brett said it:

“If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out.”

“Even today, if the Royals win six games all year, if they're going to go 6-156, I hope they beat the Yankees six times.”

“A woman will be elected President before Wade Boggs is called out on strikes. I guarantee that.”

“If I stay healthy, I have a chance to collect 3,000 hits and 1,000 errors.”

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lou1224
                              I really don't understand this thinking at all...players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.
                              A player is more likely to get hurt in the WBC than in spring training because they'll play more and have something to play for in the WBC. If you feel the smallest tweak or pain in an ST game, you take a precaution and sit down. A player in the WBC would probably ignore something minor and keep playing because he wants to win. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Comment

Umm....what?

When did I say anything that could possibly be taken as "George Steinbrenner cares if Al Leiter gets hurt"?
                                I should have been more clear.

I said that Steinbrenner's main gripe is that he doesn't want his star players to get hurt in the WBC; his star players participating are A-Rod, Damon, and Jeter. You disagreed with this and stated that Steinbrenner is only concerned about his players getting hurt in general. The only other Yankees participating are Leiter and Bernie Williams, aging spare parts that Steinbrenner would probably care less about if they got injured in the WBC since they're replaceable, unlike the A-Rod/Jeter/Damon trio.

So I'll ask again: do you think Steinbrenner would care if Al Leiter got hurt in this thing?

If the answer is no, then you're agreeing with my original point that you opposed earlier.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X