• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trosmok
    replied
    No percentage

Originally posted by Mike D.
    Not at all...
    I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?
    The State Dept. gave assurances to Fidel that no Cuban players could defect while on Puerto Rican or U.S. soil, so George couldn't get his hands on the top prospects from that country, and that is another big reason he wasn't too hot on the WBC idea. He wouldn't profit at all from the exhibitions, so he saw no reason to have his players participate since he couldn't get his grubby mitts on any of the loot this time around. The third reason I can imagine is that he didn't come up with the idea, and wouldn't be in charge, so what could he get out of encouraging or supporting the WBC at all? He is so shortsighted, as evidenced by his "win now, or else!" credo, that he can't see the future returns of expanding the fan base for international baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by pacewon
    I do agree with that, but since none of Steinbrenner's star players that are participating in the WBC are old are fragile it's a meaningless point to make.
    Not at all...Steinbrenner was against the WBC because of risk of injuries to his players. His players tend to be more expensive and older than most, and therefore, more injury prone and harder to replace.

Just because the players who happened to go to the WBC from the Yankees aren't that old or injury prone, it doesn't change that it was the reason he was against it...rosters were decided well after the owners vote.

I mean, what other reason would he have to be against the WBC?

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    The Yankees didn't post it, though

Originally posted by lautrec
    The Yankees displayed a sign by the customer service booth on the main concourse,....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    The identity of whomever posted the hand lettered sign has not been determined, but it was certainly not a member of the Yankees organization. For one thing, the team was misspelled "Yankess", and when this error was brought to the attention of game day staff, the sign was promptly removed. Frankensteinbrenner would never apologize to the fans for anything, and certainly not for something he has no personal control over. The players' union and the commissioner's office are the ones putting on the show, and except for the lousy timing (March madness dominates the sports broadcasting in prime time), I think the exhibitions have been an absolute gas. Viva Cuba!

Leave a comment:

• Cubsfan97
    replied
    Im glad the Yankee players did play, they are defiently helping out the USA right now. This is the first time I've ever rooted for Yankee players. I love how the love for a country can bring bitter rivals to an agreement.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    I never said those three are old....but do you argue that in general the Yankees don't have one of the older, more expensive, frailer teams?
    I do agree with that, but since none of Steinbrenner's star players that are participating in the WBC are old are fragile it's a meaningless point to make.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Originally posted by Pghfan987
    How is the chance of injury in the WBC that much greater than getting injured in a Spring Training Game?
    That's simple. For one, star players are going to play more in the WBC than they would in ST, and secondly they have something to play for in the WBC - national pride - that will put them at a higher risk for injury. Several players that pulled out of this thing have noted that being ready for the regular season is more important to them. Do I want my team's best players busting their butts in Selig's meaningless money maker nonsense a few weeks before the season starts? No way, and I think it takes an ignorant person to slam Steinbrenner for feeling the same way (not talking about you here Pghfan, just people in general).

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by pacewon
    Yeah, look at all these old guys the Yankees have participating... Jeter is 31, A-Rod is 30, Damon is 32
    I never said those three are old....but do you argue that in general the Yankees don't have one of the older, more expensive, frailer teams?

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805
    and if David Ortiz tears something and is out for all of 2006, whats your tune going to be then?

just throwing that out there

either way, i like the WBC
    If HE thinks that representing his country in the WBC is worth risking an injury to David Ortiz, and the man who pays his contract agrees, who am I to tell him otherwise?

I'd hate to see him hurt...but he could do it in spring training just as easily. Heck, a lot of freak accidents happen every year in spring training and the off-season.

I think the WBC does a lot for baseball internationally, and not just at the major league level, and the players are all there of their own free will.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    George has an old, expensive, frail team. He's against the WBC because he's afraid his big payroll once again won't buy a world championship.
    Yeah, look at all these old guys the Yankees have participating... Jeter is 31, A-Rod is 30, Damon is 32

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    George has an old, expensive, frail team. He's against the WBC because he's afraid his big payroll once again won't buy a world championship.

I mean, he used to be a HUGE advocate for international competition, but suddenly he's against it?

I figure any time the commissioner, 29 teams, and the players association are for something, and the Yankees are against it, that it can't be all bad.

and if David Ortiz tears something and is out for all of 2006, whats your tune going to be then?

just throwing that out there

either way, i like the WBC

Leave a comment:

• Pghfan987
    replied
    How is the chance of injury in the WBC that much greater than getting injured in a Spring Training Game? Someone said Damon slipped on the steps- does that mean that we should not allow Big Leaguers to ever walk up and down steps? It's not like we are sending these guys to the front lines of a major world war. Wherever they go, there is always a chance for injury, and I don't see the WBC as making the risk all that much greater than if they were playing in Florida instead of Puerto Rico.

It is easy to point to some injuries in the WBC and say that they would have been prevented if it did not exist, but we can't do that, just like we can not predict how many extra injuries would have occurred had these players been playing in Spring Training games. Just take a look at a Spring Training game roster- people miss with tweaked shoulders, sore backs, etc. all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied

I mean, he used to be a HUGE advocate for international competition, but suddenly he's against it?

I figure any time the commissioner, 29 teams, and the players association are for something, and the Yankees are against it, that it can't be all bad.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    George Steinbrenner likes putting his best players on the field. He was against the WBC. When Jeter, Damon, A-Rod and Bernie participated, George was upset.

George has requested that Posada not participate for Puerto Rico, and was more than happy that Hideki Matsui didn't participate, as he may have been expected to, for Japan.

Johnny Damon is sitting out his 2nd game because of some shoulder problem. Was George entirely wrong on this?

Leave a comment:

• Biggtone23
    replied
    The stands are full in Puerto Rico. They're about half empty everywhere else. No one is watching it on TV because most of us are busy sleeping at 2am on a weeknight.

No one in MLB is even trying to hide the fact that this is just to open foreign markets. Do you think Bud and Don Fehr actually care what country has the best players? They dont even care what MLB team has the best players as long as the league and union is making money nothing else matters.

Integrity (sp) of the Game? Only care about that because if the fans think the game is crooked they wont watch it or buy merch.
    Rising salaries? Has long as teams can still make profit who cares?

Everyother problem in baseball? - As long as we make money who cares?

The bottom line is, was and always will be money.

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    Originally posted by efin98
    And yet the stands are full of fans, the players are having the time of their lives, and teams that people only hear about once in a blue moon are being showcased as the talented titans that they are

But what do those people know, it's still just a moneymaking scheme
    oh money indeed was a major contributing factor. not that that is a bad thing or anything.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X