X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    So, he's adamently against it, but doesn't have a reason other than "he thinks it's stupid"?

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it?
    It's not saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it, it's saying he doesn't like it, period.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Originally posted by kckid2599
    but i doubt because Ortiz is out playing in the WBC that whoever pays him doesnt have enough money to feed his family.There are more important things than money.
    It's not about how much money the owner has, it's about the owner investing tens of millions on players to give it their all for his team, and if they get injured in the WBC they can't do that.

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Originally posted by pacewon
    But that's easy for you to say, because you're not the one paying these guys tens of millions of dollars to "bore themselves in spring training".
    but i doubt because Ortiz is out playing in the WBC that whoever pays him doesnt have enough money to feed his family.There are more important things than money.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Originally posted by kckid2599
    The way i see it is that I rather miss part of the 06 season while playing for my country then boring myself in spring training as i try to concentrate with the pitchers jogging on the warning track.I would consider it an honor to take one for Team USA.
    But that's easy for you to say, because you're not the one paying these guys tens of millions of dollars to "bore themselves in spring training".

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    The way i see it is that I rather miss part of the 06 season while playing for my country then boring myself in spring training as i try to concentrate with the pitchers jogging on the warning track.I would consider it an honor to take one for Team USA.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805
    yeah, star players are more likely to make risky dives for balls in a game that means something (WBC) than a spring training game

usually in spring training games, the guys making Web Gems on baseball tonight are the same guys just trying to make the team
    For that case, guys who are spring invitees or AAA guys being considered for September, they have to make efforts in order to impress the coaches and scouts. For a vet like Randy Johnson, if he has a poor start, he's still pencilled in for Opening Day, so he can take his time getting up to speed.

Guys like Jeter, Damon and A-Rod, I don't think they'd need to impress that much in ST, since people are already familiar with what they can accomplish.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    yeah, star players are more likely to make risky dives for balls in a game that means something (WBC) than a spring training game

usually in spring training games, the guys making Web Gems on baseball tonight are the same guys just trying to make the team

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Umm....what?

When did I say anything that could possibly be taken as "George Steinbrenner cares if Al Leiter gets hurt"?
    I should have been more clear.

I said that Steinbrenner's main gripe is that he doesn't want his star players to get hurt in the WBC; his star players participating are A-Rod, Damon, and Jeter. You disagreed with this and stated that Steinbrenner is only concerned about his players getting hurt in general. The only other Yankees participating are Leiter and Bernie Williams, aging spare parts that Steinbrenner would probably care less about if they got injured in the WBC since they're replaceable, unlike the A-Rod/Jeter/Damon trio.

So I'll ask again: do you think Steinbrenner would care if Al Leiter got hurt in this thing?

If the answer is no, then you're agreeing with my original point that you opposed earlier.

Leave a comment:

• pacewon
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Lou1224
    I really don't understand this thinking at all...players can get injured taking out the trash in the morning. Playing in the WBC does NOT place them at any greater risk for injury...that is the lamest excuse for not being in favor of the WBC.
    A player is more likely to get hurt in the WBC than in spring training because they'll play more and have something to play for in the WBC. If you feel the smallest tweak or pain in an ST game, you take a precaution and sit down. A player in the WBC would probably ignore something minor and keep playing because he wants to win. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Leave a comment:

• lautrec
    replied
    Well, after perusing this thread, it seems a number of you are in Steinbrenner's camp. I certainly can see the logic in George's reasoning, that hey, he owns these guys, lock stock and barrel, so he feels like he should have absolute control of them. There is definitely logic there.

Is the WBC all about profit? I sure wish I could say it wasn't. But, I think that would be naivete on my part. It does look like some of the teams are playing for pride and country, though. Perhaps it's very good acting on their part. I think the players do care, for the most part, though.

I reluctantly have to agree, that baseball is a business, and that said, businesses are about profit. This is a good thing, the concept and persuit of profit. I think my main wish, is that it wouldn't so outwardly appear to be solely for profit and bucks.

This will never happen, but what if, just what if,,,,,Steinbrenner, and ALL the owners got behind something like this, and said, hey, we're the US, this is our game, and we're going to field the best possible team, and SUPPORT them 100%, and treat them like baseball conqourers, and try to win this thing, FOR THE FANS, FOR THE US! You can count on us, United States Citizens!

LOL - I'm dreaming,,, I know. But, wow, would that make a difference?

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Damon's shoulder was giving him trouble for most of the second half of last year, so this isn't a real shocker.
    He injured his shoulder diving for a ball in early June, in a game v. the Angels, and re-injured it diving back to second base on a pickoff attempt in... August? It began to seriously affect his swing about mid-August, anyway, and caused him to plummet out of the batting race. He still finished a respectable .318 or something, but had been hitting close to .350 for much of the season to that point.

Can't blame the WBC...blame Orlando Cabrera; he's the one that hit the sinking liner Damon dove for.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout805
    it looks like Damon has shoulder tendenitis
    Damon's shoulder was giving him trouble for most of the second half of last year, so this isn't a real shocker.

Leave a comment:

• FlashGordon
    replied
    I was looking for a good thread to post this article at ESPN from Jim Caple, and I think this is it. I think this captures some of the emotion I feel watching Yankee players representing the U.S. I've been wanting something like the WBC for over a decade now and I'm glad it's finally happening, more as a fan of baseball than as a fan of team USA. That said, I'm glad that the players who chose to show pride in both decided to ignore Steinbrenner's menacing and decided to show the world that there are some things more important than money. The sacrifice isn't quite on par with Pat Tilman's, but it's long since time that that we show respect for it.

Leave a comment:

• Blackout
    replied
    it looks like Damon has shoulder tendenitis

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Adventures in logic

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't like it because he doesn't like it?
    If circuitous logics works, employ it.
    Seriously, if you don't like something because "it sucks", and it sucks because you don't like it, the next logical question is: well then how come so much stuff in this world sucks?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X