Why pitch to Barry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why pitch to Barry?

Jim Rome made an interesting point on his show today,why pitch to Barry Bonds at all? Hes slower than molasis in January going uphill on the basepaths, and will probabily take 3 hits to get him in.Theres one way to not let barry pass Ruth

This could make Barry the first batting champ to hit .400 since Ted Williams:
    Say -- 520 PA (enough to qualify)
    90 official AB
    36 hits!
    BA: 36/90 = .400
    Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Appling
      This could make Barry the first batting champ to hit .400 since Ted Williams:
      Say -- 520 PA (enough to qualify)
      90 official AB
      36 hits!
      BA: 36/90 = .400
      true,but so now the question is whats more important,that record or Ruth's?:noidea

Comment

apparently, rome has not seen bonds run lately.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

gotta say' luke, i have missed seeing you and your formulas. whatever the topic.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

from what he showed on his show (keyword:his show,where he can show you w/e clips of him running that he wants,so you may be right) his running looked like he was a senior citizens (not yet,only a few more years )

Comment

for the past few years (mvp seasons, i might add) bonds has turned it on when he felt necessary - both out in the field and on the basepaths.

never the best baserunner, he has, though, been a smart baserunner. walking leads, deking, knowing the opposition. (bonds is one of the few to sit in with pitchers to go over hitters for fielding purposes, and to also sit in with coaches when going over pitchers for base-running tip-off purposes.)

if rome is just now popping off on bonds, he simply:
              has not paid attention;
              is mothing 'cause it was a slow news day;
              whatever else.

bonds' 500th career steal, against the hated dodgers while gagne was on the mound, lead to gagne losing his composure, and the game. unforgettable moment.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black

if rome is just now popping off on bonds, he simply:
                has not paid attention;
                is mothing 'cause it was a slow news day;
                whatever else.
                moment.
                Dude, where have you been for the last several years. On his radio show, Rome has been on Bonds since the beginning of his "should be decline."

Comment

dude, i said "if".
                  i replied to someone.

why in the world would i listen to jim rome when the whistling teakettle gives the same result?

Comment

I dont think walking Bonds all the time is a great idea. Just guantees a person on base and I dont think he will be the same Barry Bonds. But I could be wrong. Also ive never liked Jim Rome for some reason, rather watch around the horn.
                    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Yeah. It's tough to deal with radio personalities who pull no punches and tell it like it is.

Comment

^^ no one tells it as it is. we can just call it the way that we see it.
                        it appears that you happen to agree whole-heartedly with your friend, mr. rome.

Comment

If i were a pitcher, Bonds would set the record for most HBP's in a season this year with 250

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                            ^^ no one tells it as it is. we can just call it the way that we see it.
                            it appears that you happen to agree whole-heartedly with your friend, mr. rome.
                            There are things I disagree with him on. For the most part though, he's all about people owning up to their mistakes, and when they don't, he calls them on it. Hey, he often refers to Babe as "the fat man" but I know much of what he says is meant with good humor.

As stagnant as Barry is on the basepaths, there's no reason to walk someone every time up, or nearly every time up. Pretty sure the saber people have proven it pays off more to pitch to someone, even if he is one of the best hitters in the game.

Comment

^^ borrowing from the griffey, jr thread: "no comment."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X