Did I read right . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trosmok
    BTW, I also think Cleveland will finish behind Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City this season, so what do I know.
    Cleveland behind KC? How much ya wanna place on that?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
      I see the marlins winning over 70 games this year.

Granted I never thought it would 78, I was thinking more along the lines of closer to 75 then to 80. But well done Marlins, just goes to show you that you don't needs tons of money to win games and have talent on your team.

Comment

Granted I never thought it would 78, I was thinking more along the lines of closer to 75 then to 80. But well done Marlins, just goes to show you that you don't needs tons of money to win games and have talent on your team.
        See Chicago, Boston, and a slew of other teams not in the playoffs to show that money doesn't matter, talent and health do...

And notice that San Diego, Minnesota, Detroit and Oakland made the playoffs- small(er) markets taking up half the playoff spots.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          a SINGLE season. They said the Marlins payroll was $18 mil
          I thought it was exactly $14,999,500. Alex' contract averages $25,200,000 (x 10 yrs).

I'm not sure of the spreadsheet formula to get the actual percentage increase from Florida's 2006 payroll to Alex' average salary.

Originally posted by efin98
          See Chicago, Boston, and a slew of other teams not in the playoffs to show that money doesn't matter, talent and health do...

And notice that San Diego, Minnesota, Detroit and Oakland made the playoffs- small(er) markets taking up half the playoff spots.
          I'll agree that the "money = playoff" thing is way overrated.

Doesn't Oakland, being a part of California's Bay Area, therefore have a sizeable surrounding area and population?
          Last edited by Mattingly; 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

They could have won 80 games if they had just gone 5-5 over their last 10 games! Had they flipped their 3-7 record over the last 10, they would have been a better than .500 ball club. I think we all know they could not have done it without the brilliance of Theo Epstein. Way to go Theo!
            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Alameda County

Originally posted by Mattingly
              I'll agree that the "money = playoff" thing is way overrated.

Doesn't Oakland, being a part of California's Bay Area, therefore have a sizeable surrounding area and population?
              Waaay overrated is a rather humorous understatement, two-three, considering the wisely spent money the Dead Sox and my Chicago Flubs contributed to the expulsion of the myth.

Oakland is unique among California cities, in that the city itself has some of the lowest income in the area >$22,000/yr. while the surrounding county holds some of the highest income families <$75,000/yr. median per capita. Another thing about the city is that it is roughly 1/3 Black, 1/3 White, and 1/3 Asian or Hispanic. Can't think of any other city in the USA that racially equal in diversity. For the demographics breakdown I found:

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/cities/Oakland.htm
              Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X