• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trosmok
    replied
    Alameda County

Originally posted by Mattingly
    I'll agree that the "money = playoff" thing is way overrated.

Doesn't Oakland, being a part of California's Bay Area, therefore have a sizeable surrounding area and population?
    Waaay overrated is a rather humorous understatement, two-three, considering the wisely spent money the Dead Sox and my Chicago Flubs contributed to the expulsion of the myth.

Oakland is unique among California cities, in that the city itself has some of the lowest income in the area >$22,000/yr. while the surrounding county holds some of the highest income families <$75,000/yr. median per capita. Another thing about the city is that it is roughly 1/3 Black, 1/3 White, and 1/3 Asian or Hispanic. Can't think of any other city in the USA that racially equal in diversity. For the demographics breakdown I found:

http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov/cities/Oakland.htm

Leave a comment:

• maximum jack
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous
    Granted I never thought it would 78, I was thinking more along the lines of closer to 75 then to 80. But well done Marlins, just goes to show you that you don't needs tons of money to win games and have talent on your team.
    They could have won 80 games if they had just gone 5-5 over their last 10 games! Had they flipped their 3-7 record over the last 10, they would have been a better than .500 ball club. I think we all know they could not have done it without the brilliance of Theo Epstein. Way to go Theo!

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    a SINGLE season. They said the Marlins payroll was $18 mil
    I thought it was exactly $14,999,500. Alex' contract averages $25,200,000 (x 10 yrs).

I'm not sure of the spreadsheet formula to get the actual percentage increase from Florida's 2006 payroll to Alex' average salary.

Originally posted by efin98
    See Chicago, Boston, and a slew of other teams not in the playoffs to show that money doesn't matter, talent and health do...

And notice that San Diego, Minnesota, Detroit and Oakland made the playoffs- small(er) markets taking up half the playoff spots.
    I'll agree that the "money = playoff" thing is way overrated.

Doesn't Oakland, being a part of California's Bay Area, therefore have a sizeable surrounding area and population?
    Last edited by Mattingly; 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    Granted I never thought it would 78, I was thinking more along the lines of closer to 75 then to 80. But well done Marlins, just goes to show you that you don't needs tons of money to win games and have talent on your team.
    See Chicago, Boston, and a slew of other teams not in the playoffs to show that money doesn't matter, talent and health do...

And notice that San Diego, Minnesota, Detroit and Oakland made the playoffs- small(er) markets taking up half the playoff spots.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I see the marlins winning over 70 games this year.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    BTW, I also think Cleveland will finish behind Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City this season, so what do I know.
    Cleveland behind KC? How much ya wanna place on that?

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Are the Cubs mathematically eliminated, yet?

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    Someone actually thinks the Reds can win their division
    Stranger things have happened. Who could have figured the Astros would be the defending NL champs this season, based on pre-season predictions a year ago?

BTW, I also think Cleveland will finish behind Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Kansas City this season, so what do I know.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    I see the marlins winning over 70 games this year.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Revenue Sharing?

This got me thinking...how much do teams get in revenue sharing money? I know it probably is pro-rated by market...but a team like Florida must make $18 million or so considering how much is paid by teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, etc pay in every year.

Anyone know? If they're making more in revenue sharing than they're spending on payroll, that's a major problem!

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    The NL Central is the toughest division in MLB, imho, with any one of the six teams capable of being the winners.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06028/645858.stm
    Someone actually thinks the Reds can win their division

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    33% increase for '06

The Pittsburgh Pirates have increased their payroll by a third to $47 million. Last season they were second lowest in MLB at under $35mil. but are still likely to have a lower salary payout than anyone else besides the Marlins. I'm willing to bet they will win far more games than Florida this coming year, have grown virtually all their players through their solid farm system, and are intent on keeping them for a change. One thing that may be a little odd, though, is that joining five year veteran pitcher Oliver Perez in the rotation will be supersophomore Zach Duke, plus rookies Ian Snell and Paul Maholm. Sean Burnett missed all of last season to injury, after going 5-5 in 13 appearances his rookie season and will start the season here in AAA; he is likely going up early as the fifth starter, depending on how the young arms fair with the big club.

The NL Central is the toughest division in MLB, imho, with any one of the six teams capable of being the winners. The Reds and Brewers payroll is a little more than the Bucs, while the NL Champ Astros and Cards are lots bigger, and the sub .500 '05 Cubs are the biggest spenders/wasters at over $100 million if the Post-Gazette is to be believed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06028/645858.stm

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    This is probably just what Loria wants. Kill another franchise and then make a boatload off a move/sale to another city.
    Look out, Brooklyn Or will the Browns ride again?

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
    *Laughs guts out*

Take that Loria

*burns picture of Loria and WS CUp*:grouchy
    This is probably just what Loria wants. Kill another franchise and then make a boatload off a move/sale to another city.

Leave a comment:

• BristolBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sweet Lou
    Wouldn't that be cool?
    ...And as likely as the Yankees making me their starting third baseman.

Leave a comment:

• Sweet Lou
    replied
    Originally posted by BasEbaLlKnoItAll
    I wonder how Cabrera does this yera without any protection in the lineup as well. That will be interesting to see.
    I purposely didn't pick up Willis on my Fantasy Team because of the rest of his team, or lack thereof...Glad I didn't get Cabrera, now that ya mention it...

Of course, we'll come back to this thread in August, as the Marlins, with their rookie manager, are unstoppable, leading the National League, and never losing more than 2 games in a row...

Wouldn't that be cool?

Lou

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X