Al Leiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Leiter

There's something very sad about Al Leiter retiring. It's the end of an era.

No longer can we say that there's somebody in baseball who's only four degrees of seperation from the 1800's.

Al Leiter played on the 1989 NY Yankees with Tommy John.
    John played on the 1963 Cleveland Indians with Early Wynn.
    Wynn played on the 1939 Washington Senators with Ossie Bleuge.
    Bleuge played on the 1924 Washington Senators with Nick Altrock.
    Altrock played on the 1898 Louisville Colonels.

Now, we're up to 5. Maybe Robinson Cano can knock it out another 20 years.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Correct ElHalo

Only if Rickey Henderson makes it back to the bigs, which is highly unlikely, it is indeed the end of an era.

Congrats Al on a very fine and respectful career. Sad to see it come to a close.
    Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

Wasn't Julio Franco born in the 1800s?

Comment

oh man, that's is good
        "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon playing golf." - Hank Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
          Wasn't Julio Franco born in the 1800s?
          1901, to be exact. Get yer facts straight, man!
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

No longer can we say that there's somebody in baseball who's only four degrees of seperation from the 1800's.

ElHalo,

We can't Julio Franco back to the 1800s in only four degrees of separation?
            Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-21-2006, 07:45 AM.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I was sure Leiter would be pitching for a couple more seasons.
              "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

ElHalo,

We can't Julio Franco back to the 1800s in only four degrees of separation?
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

So far I can only get Julio Back to 1912.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                    So far I can only get Julio Back to 1912.
                    Same here, with Eppa Rixey. I just looked at a few, but I couldn't find a 1912 Rixey teammate starting earlier than 1901.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I got it!

Julio Franco played with the Tug McGraw on the 1982 Phillies
                      McGraw played with Yogi Berra on the 1965 NY Mets
                      Yogi Berra played with Frank Crosetti on the 1948 NY Yankees
                      Crosetti played with Burleigh Grimes on the 1934 NY Yankees
                      Grimes played with Honus Wagner on the 1916 Pittsburgh Pirates
                      Honus debuted in 1897!
                      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 03-21-2006, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Got another one!

Julio Franco played with Steve Carlton (1987 Phillies)
                        Steve Carlton played with Curt Simmons (1965 Cards)
                        Curt Simmons played with Dutch Leonard (1948 Phils)
                        Dutch Leonard played with Dazzy Vance (1935 Dodgers)
                        Dazzy Vance played with Honus Wagner (1915 Pirates)
                        Wagner Debuted in 1897...
                        Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

We used to call him Leiter fluid when he was the Jays.
                          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                            I got it!

Julio Franco played with the Tug McGraw on the 1982 Phillies
                            McGraw played with Yogi Berra on the 1965 NY Mets
                            Yogi Berra played with Frank Crosetti on the 1948 NY Yankees
                            Crosetti played with Burleigh Grimes on the 1934 NY Yankees
                            Grimes played with Honus Wagner on the 1916 Pittsburgh Pirates
                            Honus debuted in 1897!
                            Note that there's five degrees here.

Between Leiter and Nick Altrock, there are exactly three players... John, Wynn, and Bleuge.

Between Franco and Wagner, there are four. McGraw, Berra, Crosetti, and Grimes.
                            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                              Got another one!

Julio Franco played with Steve Carlton (1987 Phillies)
                              Steve Carlton played with Curt Simmons (1965 Cards)
                              Curt Simmons played with Dutch Leonard (1948 Phils)
                              Dutch Leonard played with Dazzy Vance (1935 Dodgers)
                              Dazzy Vance played with Honus Wagner (1915 Pirates)
                              Wagner Debuted in 1897...
                              Again, this takes one more step than it takes to get from Leiter to Altrock.

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X