X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Lou
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Still, in 2002, he was 1 HR away from 40/40 as a Yankee, but his almost 700 AB
    must've made him pooped at the end.
    I remember being really bummed when he couldn't cross that 40 HR threshold. He was on a tear for a bit, and actually, should have had around 42 or 43 homers, but you may be right, he just got tuckered out.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    He could very well be worse defensively in LF, but that won't hurt the team as much as being bad at 2B.
    If he has Manny's defense but not Manny's bat, I'm not too sure how well he's helping the team.

I can't say that his "helping the team" is automatically where Frank Robinson pencils him in. To me, the only team he can help plays in the AL.

I'll ask around later on, but I'd definitely need to hear of his solid fielding before I'm thinking he's better serving the team at LF instead of 2B.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
    He will be more valuable in the OF because of his lack of defense at 2nd. But Soriano could be even worse defensivley at left because he has never in his career played in OF. So the transition may not be as easy as people think. He can be an offensive power despite his lack of disipline. And he may get less homers this year being in an pitchers park but the nats need power, something they despritley needed last year.
    He could very well be worse defensively in LF, but that won't hurt the team as much as being bad at 2B.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    He will be more valuable in the OF because of his lack of defense at 2nd. But Soriano could be even worse defensivley at left because he has never in his career played in OF. So the transition may not be as easy as people think. He can be an offensive power despite his lack of disipline. And he may get less homers this year being in an pitchers park but the nats need power, something they despritley needed last year.

Leave a comment:

• christian gentleman
    replied
    doesn't matter lf or 2b...

he's more valuable at the plate.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    Soriano a has been an above average hitter for his career, but has shown signs of decline the last two years in Texas. The Nats only prayer is that he has a hot first half and they can unload him for something worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Astro
    replied
    his OBP was .309 last season........... his slugging was barely above .500

Like I said, he is going to end up like a fast Tony Batista... and will always be overrated because he hits homeruns

Leave a comment:

• BadKarma
    replied
    The best spot would be on an American League league team in the DH slot. Barring that, I would say LF. His defense won't hurt them as much out there. I don't see how he would be only average there though. How many other guys were 30/30 men last year?

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Where Is Soriano More Valuable?

Why isn't "on another team" an option? I want no part of a horrible defensive, low OB%, strikout king in the making, clubhouse problem on my team. Even if he does pop 30 homers a year.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Texas is certainly a hitter-friendly park, but is Yankee stadium for a righty?
    Yankee Stadium is a lefty hitter's paradise. Lore has it that it was designed with Ruth in mind. Still, looking at Ruth, Gehrig, Yogi, Reggie, Mattingly and now Giambi, who can argue this.

Still, in 2002, he was 1 HR away from 40/40 as a Yankee, but his almost 700 AB must've made him pooped at the end.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied

I know his home/away splits were ugly in 2005, but what about before that? Washington isn't a hitters park by any stetch, so I guess time will tell. I can't see him being Bautisa-like, especially in that Bautista was done at age 30. His average could take a bit of a dip, though, certainly.

But still, it takes a pretty low average/obp to call someone with 30+ homer power "average".
    My thoughts exactly. Soriano's two best seasons came as a Yankee and playing in a stadium that is tough on right-handed hitters.

The biggest problem in Soriano's game is his discipline. He strikeouts far too often and he doesn't walk much. But he can definitely hit and he can definitely run. He's probably had the best combination of power and speed in the game since 2001.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    Originally posted by Astro
    He was greatly helped my his hitter friendly ballpark, he is horrible at selecting pitches to hit... sure he can hit a ball off the ground 400 feet out of the park... but why is he swinging at a ball just above the ground... he hits home runs, his average will plummet once he gets out of hitter friendly parks and he will turn into a faster version of Tony Batista

I know his home/away splits were ugly in 2005, but what about before that? Washington isn't a hitters park by any stetch, so I guess time will tell. I can't see him being Bautisa-like, especially in that Bautista was done at age 30. His average could take a bit of a dip, though, certainly.

But still, it takes a pretty low average/obp to call someone with 30+ homer power "average".

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Where is he more valuable? In a tiny bandbox, as a DH and in the 5-hole, since his awful OBP isn't worthy of a leadoff hitter.

I'd have to see some games, but if he's even an average LFer, then I sometimes feel he should forget about how much money he'll make at 2B and just stick there. Only so much offense he's going to create that he'll give back with his glove.

From his Yankee years, pitchers couldn't figure out how to get to him, then one guy started pitching low and away. Sori chased, whiffed, so the handbook must've been circulated amongst opposing pitchers.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Hannah
    replied
    Where is he more valuable? In Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Astro
    replied
    Based on what scale? Not saying the guys a future hall of famer or anything, but 30+ homers, a .270-.300 average, 30+ doubles, and 30+ steals is average? Even when you figure in his lousy BB and K numbers, he's got to be considered above average. Top tier, not even close, but average?
    He was greatly helped my his hitter friendly ballpark, he is horrible at selecting pitches to hit... sure he can hit a ball off the ground 400 feet out of the park... but why is he swinging at a ball just above the ground... he hits home runs, his average will plummet once he gets out of hitter friendly parks and he will turn into a faster version of Tony Batista

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X