Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we have here, is a failure to....

Originally posted by jalbright
    It's all a bunch of dirty dealing--Bonds, the writers, and major league baseball chief ..
    My Japanese friends are famous for saying much in very few words. As I gave them a shotgun tour of D.C. and pointed out different sites of interest, the memorials, tidal pool, all in stony silence, until later we cruised by the Watergate Hotel, they looked at me, looked up, and in unison said "Ahh, Watergate."

Granted, this was thirty or more years ago, but on the conclusion of the WBC, my dear friend from those days rang me from Osaka, accepted my congratulations, and asked about the whole Bonds, steroids, legal mess. The best I could muster in brief was my wish for it to soon all go away, to which he replied "Ahh, Selig's baby, now." Not exactly sure I grasp his full meaning, but I hope my wish comes true.
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Some Barry-related events for this week from Dave Letterman:

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/latesho...fo/index.shtml
      Monday, March 27
      Sharon Stone (Basic Instinct 2)
      Authors, Mark Fainaru-Wada & Lance Williams ("Game of Shadows")
      In related news:

Here's this week's topic: Top Ten Ways Barry Bonds Can Improve His Image
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

baseballwise: ...the journalists ... [will] reveal their sources under court order.

fainaru-wada and williams apparently did not break any laws in obtaining the supposed federal grand jury leaked testimony, but whomever handed it over to 'em absolutely did.

i expect that the san francisco chronicle writers will not themselves reveal the source(s) of the material.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

thanx for the love in #37, two-three.

but, i do have one bone to pick with you, albeit a pretty small one. you have me down as being "a frequent defender of barry bonds." well, watchwhat my take is on things should some other player get bwritten about in the manner that bonds did.

as i posted from very early on -- for me, it is not about bonds the individual.
          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

SHOELESSJOE3: I may have missed something but as of yet I have not heard of him or his attorneys disputing whats in the book.

why would rains file suit against allegations in an as-yet unpublished book?
            on a book that the commissioner's office claims that advance copies are unattainable?

Comment

Mattingly: I'm still interested in knowing who the anonymous witnesses are.

my guess is that bonds & co. have a pretty good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                SHOELESSJOE3: I may have missed something but as of yet I have not heard of him or his attorneys disputing whats in the book.

why would rains file suit against allegations in an as-yet unpublished book?
                on a book that the commissioner's office claims that advance copies are unattainable?
                Well I'll wait and see if they change their method of fighting these allegations. Perhaps the book comes out they may dispute the contents. We are at this time getting some of whats in the book in excerpts made public.
                Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 03-29-2006, 08:12 AM.

Comment

thanx for the love in #37, two-three.

but, i do have one bone to pick with you, albeit a pretty small one. you have me down as being "a frequent defender of barry bonds." well, watchwhat my take is on things should some other player get bwritten about in the manner that bonds did.

as i posted from very early on -- for me, it is not about bonds the individual.
                  You've pretty much tried to not necessarily defend him, but at least put a human side on him. Sometimes you've shown that some of the things written about him aren't necessarily as simple as laid out by some sportswriter.

If not necessarily "defensive" or a "defender", I'd say that you're a big fan of his (either as a player or simply because he's a Giants player). I'll let you speak for yourself on that one, as I could get in trouble very easily.

Still, differences, however strong, should always be civil. Once that is lost, so too is all sense of sensibility. :o
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

you are indeed quite worthy to wear the "23", two-three.

Comment

SHOELESSJOE3, wanna see what havoc i can wreak with excerpts?

the deal is that there is certainly a strategy in place by bonds' legal team.
                      as long as bonds is healthy he is gonna go out there and swing and let his bat do most of the talking, same as he always has.

Comment

you are indeed quite worthy to wear the "23", two-three.

Thanks.

Comment

two-three: sometimes you've shown that some of the things written about him aren't necessarily as simple as laid out by some sportswriter.

or, at times, sportswriters.
                          according to the dark shadows book, the reader is lead to believe that only one question was asked directly of bonds by the grand jury members. that was not at all the case.

something that is that academic, inconsequential, even, and yet the two reporters do not have it right.
                          hmmm...

Comment

SHOELESSJOE3, wanna see what havoc i can wreak with excerpts?
                            I agree, little excerpts and bits and pieces are not the whole story Attorneys may be waiting to see the whole deal, the book before they really dig in.

Comment

To westcoastorangeand black and others who appear to excuse bonds....my mother is an avid Giants fan and she gets furious that the entire world is "picking on him." She feels that he's on her team so he's right and good and the world of ethics, justice, and true fans who love the game should just "back off."

I don't get that attirude. Yes, this is the United States of America and one is innocent until proven guilty. Bonds is the only living human in any sport I've ever heard of who has gotten bigger, stronger, a faster bat speed as he ages.

As long as Bonds continues to pay high priced lawyers their high prices this thing will drag on and on and on....meanwhile he's out there breaking records achieved by legitimate, hard-working players and ruining the integrity of the stats ....the foundation....of the entire game. WHERE'S THE JUSTICE IN THAT?????????

Maybe his own organization will have the moxie to sit him down to see how things progress...........when pigs fly, right???

I think the journalists will be cleared of all this nonsense....then who will he hide behind.....

IF Bonds has an ounce of integrity mixed in with his steroid induced bulk, he should retire immediately. But he's already demonstrated his integrity, now hasn't he.
                              Last edited by baseballwise; 03-30-2006, 08:46 AM.
                              Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

two-three: sometimes you've shown that some of the things written about him aren't necessarily as simple as laid out by some sportswriter.

or, at times, sportswriters.
                                according to the dark shadows book, the reader is lead to believe that only one question was asked directly of bonds by the grand jury members. that was not at all the case.

something that is that academic, inconsequential, even, and yet the two reporters do not have it right.
                                hmmm...
                                If that's the case, then how many and which questions were asked of Bonds by the grand jury, whose testimony by Bonds was leaked?

What did the book imply was the one question asked of Bonds?

If you have any links for what you're saying, I'd appreciate your offering these.

Thanks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X