X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas37
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    So what you folks are saying is that the Giants fans' reaction to Bonds is mostly a defense of their team's big star, and is similar to what the Cubs fans held of Sammy from '98-'03?
    It's all who's perpective one takes. Bond and Giants fans, Sosa and Cubs fans, McGuire and Cards fans. When a player reaches an iconic level, all be it through questionable, if not criminal, means, it's going to be next to impossible for a fan to turn on them.

Leave a comment:

• Texas37
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    Ballplayers are humans, too, although sometimes they are supposed to be held to higher standards, that doesn't change the fact that repentence is as human an undertaking as making mistakes.
    It would be a lot easier to forgive him if he would admit to it first. Bonds only wants to accuse the media of being out to get him and keeps running from the issue. Confess his sins and then maybe he can be forgiven....after he is kicked out of baseball.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous
    Thats exactly my point.
    Oh, now I've gotcha. I was about to think that you were saying that Cubs fans were critical of Slammy Sammy. Here in NYC, especially in Dominican-rich Washington Heights (in Manhattan above Harlem), where Manny went to HS, Sammy's daily feats were spoken about on the streets religiously. Now I see what you're referring to.
    Originally posted by rockin500
    as long as he was helping my team win, thats all i pretty much cared about. looking back on it doesnt really change my opinion of the man.
    So what you folks are saying is that the Giants fans' reaction to Bonds is mostly a defense of their team's big star, and is similar to what the Cubs fans held of Sammy from '98-'03?

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Never forget! But, forgive? Well, forgiveness comes...

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    i am talkin' regular ol' people, everywhereman. just regular people. america is a very forgiving nation.
    You are 100% correct. Embracing the notion of the act of forgiveness is totally foreign to lots of people around the globe, evidenced by the thousand+ year battles of some ethnic, nationalistic, or religious nut groups are waging against another based soley on what happened many dozens of generations prior, and fueled by the latest atrocities committed in the name of revenge, by both sides. America, with all its flaws is somehow different, because we tend to resolve our differences, and be granted absolution hinged on one important component that some people still don't grasp: In order to get back in good graces you must first ask for it. Your request must be sincere, and most importantly say you're sorry. Even if you are only sorry for your ignorance, sorry for your stupidity, sorry that you didn't listen to wise advice, sorry you got greedy, sorry that you let ego interfere with good sense, sorry that you made a bad decision that you were sure was the right one at the time, and sorry you hurt others in the process. Any or all of those things will go a long way toward letting really horrible stuff be forgiven.
    Ballplayers are humans, too, although sometimes they are supposed to be held to higher standards, that doesn't change the fact that repentence is as human an undertaking as making mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• rockin500
    replied
    So what were the Cubs fans saying about him back then? I thought he was very popular, especially in 1998.
    as long as he was helping my team win, thats all i pretty much cared about. looking back on it doesnt really change my opinion of the man.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    So what were the Cubs fans saying about him back then? I thought he was very popular, especially in 1998.
    Thats exactly my point.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubiquitous
    Ask baseballwise what Cub fans were saying about Sosa from 1998 to about 2003.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    mattingly: ...how many and which questions were asked of Bonds by the grand jury, whose testimony by Bonds was leaked?
    more than one, my man.

What did the book imply was the one question asked of Bonds?
    did you build [trainer] anderson a house [to repay him for all that he did for you]?

sorry, no links. just stuff that i know.
    So how many questions actually were asked of Bonds during the grand jury testimony? Do you know of any of them?

As to Bonds being asked about building Anderson a house, what was his reply, according to the testimony? Did the book try to make his reply to that question seem anything more than it was (in your opinion)?

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    ^^ when i visited wrigley i heard all kinds of stuff, yeah.
    but lots of cubs fans would crucify their own grandma just for the sport of it.
    i am talkin' regular ol' people, everywhereman. just regular people. america is a very forgiving nation.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    baseballwise, in no way have i excused bonds.

also, having the opinion that bonds is being picked on or whatever is not limited to just giants fans. lots of fans are eager for the season to start in part just so that the steroid story takes a back seat.

do giants fans, in particular, lean towards having a unified front when it comes to bonds? sure. but i strongly suspect that fans of the other 29 teams would rally 'round one of their own if that player was the target of seemingly endless stories.
    Ask baseballwise what Cub fans were saying about Sosa from 1998 to about 2003.

Leave a comment:

replied
    mattingly: ...how many and which questions were asked of Bonds by the grand jury, whose testimony by Bonds was leaked?
    more than one, my man.

did you build [trainer] anderson a house [to repay him for all that he did for you]?

sorry, no links. just stuff that i know.

Leave a comment:

replied
    baseballwise, in no way have i excused bonds.

also, having the opinion that bonds is being picked on or whatever is not limited to just giants fans. lots of fans are eager for the season to start in part just so that the steroid story takes a back seat.

do giants fans, in particular, lean towards having a unified front when it comes to bonds? sure. but i strongly suspect that fans of the other 29 teams would rally 'round one of their own if that player was the target of seemingly endless stories.

Leave a comment:

• KenFougere
    replied
    What a joke!
    Bonds is suing? -

In my opinion it's Bonds who should be sued by baseball fans everywhere . . .

for FRAUD! -

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    two-three: sometimes you've shown that some of the things written about him aren't necessarily as simple as laid out by some sportswriter.

or, at times, sportswriters.
    according to the dark shadows book, the reader is lead to believe that only one question was asked directly of bonds by the grand jury members. that was not at all the case.

something that is that academic, inconsequential, even, and yet the two reporters do not have it right.
    hmmm...
    If that's the case, then how many and which questions were asked of Bonds by the grand jury, whose testimony by Bonds was leaked?

If you have any links for what you're saying, I'd appreciate your offering these.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• baseballwise
    replied
    To westcoastorangeand black and others who appear to excuse bonds....my mother is an avid Giants fan and she gets furious that the entire world is "picking on him." She feels that he's on her team so he's right and good and the world of ethics, justice, and true fans who love the game should just "back off."

I don't get that attirude. Yes, this is the United States of America and one is innocent until proven guilty. Bonds is the only living human in any sport I've ever heard of who has gotten bigger, stronger, a faster bat speed as he ages.

As long as Bonds continues to pay high priced lawyers their high prices this thing will drag on and on and on....meanwhile he's out there breaking records achieved by legitimate, hard-working players and ruining the integrity of the stats ....the foundation....of the entire game. WHERE'S THE JUSTICE IN THAT?????????

Maybe his own organization will have the moxie to sit him down to see how things progress...........when pigs fly, right???

I think the journalists will be cleared of all this nonsense....then who will he hide behind.....

IF Bonds has an ounce of integrity mixed in with his steroid induced bulk, he should retire immediately. But he's already demonstrated his integrity, now hasn't he.
    Last edited by baseballwise; 03-30-2006, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X