Rules and Regulations on foul balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules and Regulations on foul balls

I was watching, I think, Cuba and Panama in the World Baseball Classic. It was tied in the end of the game and a batter was hit by a pitch on his pinky finger. It was ruled a dead ball and the batter trotted off to first base. My question is this: When I was growing up playing early on, high school, and college, my friends and I were understanding that any pitched ball that hits a batter in the hands was considered a foul ball. The hands were considered a part of the bat. Can anyone fill me in on the correct ruling on this topic?

Another rule book myth. The hands are not part of the bat.

Now, a ball may be ruled to have hit the bat simultaniously as it hit the hand or finger and could be ruled a foul ball. Another scenario would be the batter offered at the ball (swung at the pitch) and it would be a dead ball strike (and out on a third strike). If a ball does run up inside on a batter and does strike his hands or fingers, it should be ruled a HBP (hit batsman or hit by pitch) and the batter awarded first and all runners return unless forced to advance by the batter being awarded first.
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

I remember Mookie Wilson getting hit on the knuckles in a game, and it was a dead ball, batter take the base ruling. Out of all the places to get hit, I gotta imagine getting plunked on your fingers while they are on the bat has to be one of the most painful.
      "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon playing golf." - Hank Aaron

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X