Albert Pujols' age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Pujols' age

SABR Matt inspired this thread . Officially, Pujols is 28 years old, born on January 16, 1980. Now, many people have claimed he is much older. In 2002, Baseball Propectus claimed Pujols is at least three years older based "according to some estimates". But in later reports they backed off that assertion.

Player Comments

Very few players burst on the majors as fully-formed Hall of Famers. As this book was being written, Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn were elected to the Hall of Fame. While it`s possible there were some observers who felt certain by, say, 1983 or 1984 that they were looking at Hall of Famers in the making, there were undoubtedly just as many who saw Gwynn as a singles hitter with a bad body and Ripken as a guy who was too big for shortstop and would almost certainly be kicked over to third base as soon as someone better like Juan Bell came along. With Pujols it was clear almost right away what kind of player he was, which is why so many people expressed disbelief: They were seeing a player who, if he never grew, if he never peaked, if he just stayed right where he was, was going to be an annual MVP candidate. That`s almost exactly what happened, except that Pujols has been improving slightly each season. He had his best year yet in 2006, posting a career high WARP (12.9) despite missing 19 games with an oblique strain and other minor scrapes. That total is boosted by his stellar defense at first, an underrated aspect of his skill set. Perhaps the only question left to answer is whether or not he can take one more step forward and have a couple of otherworldly, inner-circle Hall of Fame seasons like those enjoyed by Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx. If it`s going to happen, it will be in the next few years.

Absurdly great, and signed to a very favorable deal for the Cardinals. On the statistical anomaly front, check out Pujols` ABs for the last five years: 590, 590, 591, 592, 591. Only on a Tony LaRussa team could things be so rigidly organized. In terms of performance, only Barry Bonds compares. Pujols` line of .330/.430/.609 for the season is truly remarkable because he was suffering through plantar fasciitis for a good chunk of the season, and hitting a baseball without being able to plant your foot properly is exceptionally difficult. Even if there`s truth to the old rumor that he may be two years older than his listed age, Pujols is still capable of putting up Bonds-like numbers. He`s Mozart with a bat, a very smart baserunner, a plus defender at first base, and well-liked and respected in the community. For the city and the franchise, he`s the perfect superstar.

I suppose writing the Barry Bonds comment would be more taxing in terms of the use of superlatives, but what do you say about this guy? In terms of career numbers compiled before age 25, Pujols ranks eighth in home runs, ninth in doubles and sixth in extra-base hits. Additionally, among those who logged at least 2,000 plate appearances before age 25, Pujols places third in SLG and ninth in OBP. In other words, stay tuned: he's a luminary in the making.

If there’s something unfair, it’s that Pujols was labeled a defensive liability at third. He wasn’t Terry Pendleton (or Scott Rolen for that matter), but he was effective enough. The point isn’t particularly relevant now, of course. Assuming anyone still believes that Pujols is 23 and not around 27, you should have seen an attractive if mature-looking Mrs. Pujols in last year’s Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Whatever his actual age, Pujols will be an asset with the Cardinals for the next four years, whether he divulges his age to the organization and signs a multiyear deal or not. He should achieve that projection handily.

He's older than advertised, by at least three years according to some estimates. It was apparently a not-so-open secret in his college program, but the party line is that he “graduated early” from high school in the Dominican Republic. From a practical standpoint, who really cares? His age is most germane to issues such as his likely career totals, not whether he can help the Cardinals. Pujols can mash the ball and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future. If he plays third base, he'll be the best third baseman in the National League in 2002.

Albert Pujols is a very promising third-base prospect. It's probably early to call him grade-A, but he has one great year under his belt, a .324/.389/.585 performance at Peoria followed by a brief stint at Potomac in which he wasn't overmatched. He finished the season with three games in Memphis and will likely start the 2001 season at Double-A Arkansas. Pujols is not going to be a fast guy; he's already big at 205 pounds and has the frame of a power hitter. His defense is good enough that he can probably avoid the dreaded corner migration from third base to first base. This is someone to watch; he could be starting at a Cardinal corner sooner than anyone realizes.
    BP got some facts wrong. Pujols didn't graduate from high school in the Domincan Republic. He graduated from high school in Independence, Missouri.

I have read lots of claims that Pujols is older than he claims. Yet, no one has yet to produce any documented evidence. So what say you, BBF?
    Older than his "official" age
    35.42%
    He is his "official age"
    64.58%
    Younger than his "offical" age
    0%
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I remember hearing that he graduated from Missouri. He looks hispanic and since he has started off so well people are inclined to think that he has done what Tejada (and others before) did. I'll go with people don't realize that he is just a good player and they are quick to agree with these stereotypes that are common nowadays. Would anyone question him if he has been a backup? No...

Comment

Isn't he balding too? I know that happens at young ages for many but seems like it would only had evidence to support that claim.

Comment

are they saying his body is aged like someone older or that he like other latin players faked his age?

I doubt either one

i was going to point out the fact he has been in the country long enough to be drafted instead of being a free agent...but that has been covered.

Danny Almonte did it, but it was at a young age and found out when he was still a kid. Wasn't it Furcal who it happened to in the bigs?

Anything is possible, but you would imagine it would have been made a big deal by now and someone would have proof.
        Last edited by sturg1dj; 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM.
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
          Isn't he balding too? I know that happens at young ages for many but seems like it would only had evidence to support that claim.
          From this 2008 photo it appears Albert is losing his hair. Agian, I don't think that's sufficient evidence. As you stated lots of men lose their hair at a young age.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/st...s.html?ref=rss
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
            are they saying his body is aged like someone older or that he like other latin players faked his age?

I doubt either one
            Some people claim that Pujols is older than his stated age of 28. Some believe he is 3-5 years older.

Comment

looking at Pujol's career it would seem that faking his age would be counter-productive. I am not saying its out of the realm of possibility, just saying that would mean he faked his age to keep himself in high school longer? That doesn't really make sense, especially since he could have been drafted sooner and could have started earlier.

Someone like Furcal would fake his age so he could stay in one of the schools they have over there and be seen as a better prospect.....Pujols was drafted.

Pujols is my favorite player...so it pains me to say this

looking at how late he was drafted and his numbers in the minors one can only imagine how he got as good as he did so fast.
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

He definitely looks older. I think he is older than his official age. I think it's just 2 years, not 3-5.

looking at Pujol's career it would seem that faking his age would be counter-productive. I am not saying its out of the realm of possibility, just saying that would mean he faked his age to keep himself in high school longer? That doesn't really make sense, especially since he could have been drafted sooner and could have started earlier.
                He might have started school when he was older. I myself am a year older than most people in my grade and I know of some other people in my grade who are around my age, as well.
                Last edited by NYMets523; 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM.
                "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Like has been stated by me a thousand times, after 9/11 the Homeland Security office cracked down on foreign birth certificates and tracked down legitamte birth certificates of all foreign born citizens. This included ballplayers and a lot of players saw their ages changed. Pujols was in the country at that time so his documents were vetted just like anyone else.

Now, I just know someone will say "soooo, Tejada just recently..."

Stop. Tejada's documents he filed with the US Government were correct. His drivers license was correct. He just fudged his age to MLB and they never checked it.

Is it possible this has happened with Pujols? Possibly. But with so much attention being paid to his age I have to believe SOMEONE out there trying to crack a story has looked up his drivers license online (since it's public domain) and other public documents.

I have a cousin who was going bald at 20 years old. That's hardly proof.

All of his documents check out according to the US Government. They may screw up a lot of things but when it comes to stuff like cutting and sending out checks on time and checking out information they're pretty good at it. People get their welfare checks on the same day every month and it's rare you can sneak much past the hounds if they're looking for it. And they've been looking at foreign birth certificates with a scornful eye for seven years now.

Until there's actual proof I'm taking his listed age as his real age.

Also, just looking at this logically and throwing facts to the wind... can anyone explain to me why someone with the talent of Pujols would purposefully stay in High School 3-5 years longer than he had to and shorten his MLB career by going to high school and college for several of his "prime" years?
                  Last edited by cardsfanatic; 10-14-2008, 03:29 PM.
                  Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                  In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Pujols is my favorite player...so it pains me to say this

looking at how late he was drafted and his numbers in the minors one can only imagine how he got as good as he did so fast.
                    Same can be said for Mike Piazza as well, no?
                    Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                    In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Originally posted by cardsfanatic View Post
                      Actually Piazza spent significant time in the minors. He was drafted in 1988 out of Miami-Dade College. He debuted in the majors late in the 1992 season at age 23. Pujols spent one season in the minors (2000).

Comment

Originally posted by cardsfanatic View Post
                        I agree 100% and I have actually been pretty darn tough on Piazza.

Pujols played 1 year of minor league baseball at age 20 then made his debut at age 21

this means he was a 19 year old senior, which is an old senior. With his talent, why would he want to be a 20-24 year old senior in high school? This is not the same as a latin player in his home country trying to pass as a 16 year old kid instead of 19 in his baseball school...this is someone lying about his age to stay in an American High School longer. Makes no sense.

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                          Actually Piazza spent significant time in the minors. He was drafted in 1988 out of Miami-Dade College. He debuted in the majors late in the 1992 season at age 23. Pujols spent one season in the minors (2000).
                          Mike Piazza played only one year of minor league ball, unless you count small college ball as minor league...which I do not.

-Bill James

Comment

Mike Piazza played only one year of minor league ball, unless you count small college ball as minor league...which I do not.
                            No, Piazza played four seasons (387 games) in the minors, 1989-92.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...e-Piazza.shtml

Comment

I agree 100% and I have actually been pretty darn tough on Piazza.

Pujols played 1 year of minor league baseball at age 20 then made his debut at age 21

this means he was a 19 year old senior, which is an old senior.
                              With his talent, why would he want to be a 20-24 year old senior in high school? This is not the same as a latin player in his home country trying to pass as a 16 year old kid instead of 19 in his baseball school...this is someone lying about his age to stay in an American High School longer. Makes no sense.
                              You forgot to count Albert's one season playing college ball at age 19. Pujols was 18 when he graduated from high school in 1998.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X