No announcement yet.

Albert Pujols' age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always thought Pujols was older than his stated age. I'm beginning to think otherwise; if he's older, he's one, maybe two years older, at the very most.

It is uncommon for a player to break into the majors at the level of performance of Pujols' rookie year. It is not uncommon at all, however, for a player who is playing at the level of the inner circle of the HOF to break in at age 21 as Pujols did, so he may well be as old as his stated age. Pujols is clearly one of the greatest players ever to play the game, at least in terms of peak value, and that's what one would expect from a player who's among the greatest that ever played. Pujols projects out to be one of the top 25 players ever to play the game, and his current record is not out of line with that at all.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

I think he is his official age. It would have surely come out by now, officially, that he is older than he is. Nothing like that stays hidden for long in American society.
      MySpace Codes

Comment

I sure hope he is the age everyone thinks he is . I was counting on him to beat Barry Bond's record cleanly.
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I'm cynical about things like this. If a guy's too good to be true, statistically, he probably is, especially in an era like ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory Pratt View Post
            I'm cynical about things like this. If a guy's too good to be true, statistically, he probably is, especially in an era like ours.
            I don't know how he is "too good to be true." In fact, despite all of the steroid use, outside of Bonds, not a single person in the steroid era has come close to approaching the season by season OPS+ numbers that Cobb, Hornsby, Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle and Willimas did. What Albert is doing - about 170 OPS+ a season is on par with what you would expect from the top hitters of an era - certainly not out of line from the OPS+'s of Thomas, Mays, Aaron, etc. So, which stats are being put up that are "too good to be true?" The Great Hitters put up 170 OPS+ season all- the time. Its not like Albert is putting up 220 OPS+ seasons.

Unless you believe that older players were innately better, and nobody could ever dare to challenge the old greats as hitters, than it stands to reason that there would be a few guys in every era which put up great numbers. Albert is one of those guys.
            Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM.
            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by STLCards2 View Post
              I don't know how he is "too good to be true." In fact, despite all of the steroid use, outside of Bonds, not a single person in the steroid era has come close to approaching the season by season OPS+ numbers that Cobb, Hornsby, Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle and Willimas did. What Albert is doing - about 170 OPS+ a season is on par with what you would expext from the top hitters of an era - certainly not out of line from the OPS+'s of Thomas, Mays, Aaron, etc. So, which stats are being put up that are "too good to be true?" The Great Hitters put up 170 OPS+ season all- the time. Its not like Albert is putting up 220 OPS+ seasons.

Unless you believe that older players were inately better, and nobody could ever dare to challenge the old greats as hitters, than it stands to reason that there would be a few guys in every era which put up great numbers. Albert is one of those guys.
              to play Devil's Advocate I would like to point out looking at similarity scores the player Pujols is most similar to is Joe DiMaggio.

prior to the steroid era beginning (the steroid era when defined by the media, not by when players started using which was much earlier) no player even approached numbers this high.

These players include Frank Thomas who I am not saying used steroids, but am pointing out is part of that era.
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                to play Devil's Advocate I would like to point out looking at similarity scores the player Pujols is most similar to is Joe DiMaggio.

prior to the steroid era beginning (the steroid era when defined by the media, not by when players started using which was much earlier) no player even approached numbers this high.

These players include Frank Thomas who I am not saying used steroids, but am pointing out is part of that era.
                What about Manlte?

Frank Thomas had better OPS+ numbers than Pujols - until about his 8t-9th full season. Bonds put up 200+ OPS seasons in the early 90's too.

I think it has been proven that OPS+ is a little harder to keep high in low-offensive eras. So a 170 now might be like a 160 in the '60s - early 80's. Many guys, from mays to Aaron, Allen to Schmidt were well in that range during their primes.
                Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Bump for Sultan! Check out post #30.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                    Bump for Sultan! Check out post #30.
                    #31 is good, too.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Let's just say he's an old 33.
                      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                      2. Barry Bonds
                      3. Ty Cobb
                      4. Ted Williams
                      5. Willie Mays
                      6. Alex Rodriguez
                      7. Hank Aaron
                      8. Honus Wagner
                      9. Lou Gehrig
                      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

he could very well be older but the biggest issue is that he can barely run because he is hurt. and this is probably not getting better if he keeps playing through it. right now he has Zero value for his Team that is replacement Level.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Bump for more discussion.
                          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Bump for the recent Pujols age discussion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X