No announcement yet.

Baseball and immigration

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baseball and immigration

    Currently, many foreign nationals are required to obtain H-2B work visas in order to play Major and minor league baseball. Signing a MLB contract can also qualify a player for future O-visas and applications for permanent residency, if so desired. With the whole immigration debate heating up, again, the seemingly arbitrary limits to work visas has several prospects and teams wondering if they will be able to sign anyone mid-season. For the past few years, the quotas have been filled, and ballplayers were forced to resort to other, sometimes extra-legal methods to come here and work/play.
    It is my understanding that an H-2B visa allows athletes, musicians, etc. to stay and work for up to ten months, return home, and then come back for up to three years. They would then need to re-apply, upgrade their immigration status, get married, or be granted permanent residency.

    Last year a number of mnor leaguers, and MLB prospects were investigated for immigration violations, and I can only imagine any tightening in restrictions and enforcement will have detrimental affects. see:
    Last edited by trosmok; 03-28-2006, 01:07 PM.
    Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Ad Widget