Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB To Investigate Steroid Use By Players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    ESPNFan: And these people take [anabolic steroids] at perscription levels, not the massive doses that Athletes use to gain mass quickly.
    all along, several of us have been speaking of athletes who have been on training regimens upwards of 10-15 years that include steroids without harmful effects.
    it is all about moderation, agreed.

Bottom line on Anabolics your body makes muscle reguardless of activity.
    but this. well, i was under the impression that human growth hormone was the fountain of youth, the genie in the bottle, the magic potion.

LOL well obviously the gains will level off after a point but the point is that Anabolic Steroids dont just work because you workout or workout longer. The cause a radical chemical change that alters the body to build tissue and block the breakdown of mass.
    If these drugs build muscle on gravely ill people who can only muster a minimal level of physical activity what will they do for a healthy person with no disease actively trying to eat away their body?

In refrence to the effects of moderate longterm use I don't know if even responcible use can stave off toxicity issues or the psychological side effects.
    Last edited by ESPNFan; 03-30-2006, 12:41 AM.
    Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

All the pro and con views on what value steroids are to the athlete mean nothing. There is now a ban in baseball(it's about time) and they have been banned in other sports for years. Those that use them are breaking a rule, forget about the plus and minus of using steroids or any banned substance in any sport, breaking the rule thats the bottom line.

Comment

It's my guess that unless this is to be a law enacted by congress, this will turn out to be nothing more than an exercise in futility.

In the first case, the MLBPA will, in all likelihood, deny permission to conduct the medical tests necessary.

Secondly, the player response when approached for questioning will probably be "let's see the court order", or, "I want my lawyer", or, "I plead the fifth".

I can just see the players, voluntarily, lining up for blood tests, having a fairly good idea of what the the outcome might be, should any test come back positive for use of PED's.

Another bright idea brought to you by the incredibly shrinking brain of BS.
        CBk Oldtimer #16 now #29

Comment

Right on DoubleX, but the players is a good place to start, don'tcha think???

The ENTIRE WORLD knows Selig has done and will do nothing about this....but won't it be fun to see him squirm???
          Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

Why doesn't anyone get it that the fans are fed up with al the false promises and empty threats?

I can imagine Selig saying he's found the perfect solution. Why not just have ALL players take steroids? That will create a level playing field and the cheaters will be the dummies who choose not to comply with that rule.
            Last edited by baseballwise; 03-30-2006, 10:19 AM.
            Nothin' like fun at the ol' ballpark!

Comment

I heard something while listening to the radio. Since PEDs were only officially banned since 2002, and since Bonds has never failed any drug test, just how much power would Selig have in taking action against Barry?

Also, with one of the most powerful sports unions protecting Bonds, just how badly could Barry possibly be hurt by all this?

It's good that the powers that be are finally getting some teeth, but had this been enacted in 1998 or so, much more could've been done. Had Barry failed a drug test in the past, then Selig would've had much more power than he currently has.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Upon further review..

Originally posted by baseballwise
                Right on DoubleX, but the players is a good place to start, ....
                The ENTIRE WORLD knows Selig has done and will do nothing about this....but won't it be fun to see him squirm???
                It may sound like I'm being a bit facetious, but I truly think every manager, coach, trainer, clubhouse atendent, instructor, umpire, owner, GM, exec, and all the rats in the commissioner's office should be subjected to random tests for illegal substances, too. How many of those holier than thous do you think would drop dirty is they were required to pee in a cup today? Anyone that wants to write or broadcast about baseball for a living should be subjected to the same rigorous procedures, too!:radio If the sport really is intent on cleansing itself, why not do a thorough job, instead of concentrating on just a handful of target players whose appearance might have changed over the years? I'm not defending anyone for past indescretions, but why do a half-baked job when the tools and desire are still there to do it completely, correctly, and fairly?
                Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Bud Selig is expected to hold a press conference on this subject within the hour (it's now 1:16pm ET).
                  Originally posted by trosmok
                  It may sound like I'm being a bit facetious, but I truly think every manager, coach, trainer, clubhouse atendent, instructor, umpire, owner, GM, exec, and all the rats in the commissioner's office should be subjected to random tests for illegal substances, too. How many of those holier than thous do you think would drop dirty is they were required to pee in a cup today? Anyone that wants to write or broadcast about baseball for a living should be subjected to the same rigorous procedures, too!:radio If the sport really is intent on cleansing itself, why not do a thorough job, instead of concentrating on just a handful of target players whose appearance might have changed over the years? I'm not defending anyone for past indescretions, but why do a half-baked job when the tools and desire are still there to do it completely, correctly, and fairly?
                  While it may sound like a great idea, and it's very imaginative to have even thought of this, but I'm curious, what is the consequence if an ump, a manager, a coach or a team owner uses steroids?

I'd be more interested in the trainers or instructors, as they may then offer these things to players. At times, I would think the same about the manager or coach.

As to sportswriters, is that of the "clean hands" theory, that only those who haven't had infractions of their own can then judge others in the Court of Public Opinion for the same?
                  Last edited by Mattingly; 03-30-2006, 11:09 AM.
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Press conference to be held in 15 minutes, at 2pm ET.

Anyone feel any impropriety that a current minor owner/director of a team, the Boston Red Sox, is heading the investigation? Does this present a conflict of interest?

Last edited by Mattingly; 03-30-2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I guess all we might end up being somewhat informed on who the users were. Beyond that I don't know what can be done. The Players Union will insist on any punishment being a subject for negotiation with any assessed penalties subject to appeal and arbitration.

For all you folks who have yet to learn to doubt your own infallibility please explain what you would have done about steroid abuse before Congress took an interest? Let me help you out: Not A Damn Thing. Bonds could have been shooting up in you living room and you would have been helpless. The Players Union adamantly refused to accept the idea of random drug testing as an invasion of privacy (e.g. "don't interfere with our constituents ability to pay their dues"). After years of ragging them they finally consented to this p***y ten day suspension crap subject to appeal and arbitration.

The Commissioner and the Owners have a lot to be embarrassed about in this fiasco, but no more than the Players and the Players Union.

Edited for use of a 4-lettered word.

-Matt
                      Last edited by Mattingly; 03-30-2006, 11:59 AM.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Bonds and McGwire's names were mentioned by Selig. Anyone having a credible link of his entire discussion, please post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          I heard something while listening to the radio. Since PEDs were only officially banned since 2002, and since Bonds has never failed any drug test, just how much power would Selig have in taking action against Barry?

Also, with one of the most powerful sports unions protecting Bonds, just how badly could Barry possibly be hurt by all this?

It's good that the powers that be are finally getting some teeth, but had this been enacted in 1998 or so, much more could've been done. Had Barry failed a drug test in the past, then Selig would've had much more power than he currently has.
                          The only harm to Barry is a) in the court of public opinion, and b) on a related note, the findings might encourage some HOF voters to not vote for Barry under the "morals clause" of the HOF. Beyond that, unless Barry is convicted in court of steroid possession or indicted on perjury or tax evasion charges, Bud's hands are tied by a) the head in the sand approach that prevailed until 2002, and b) the current CBA. If he goes after Barry on steroids (without a criminal conviction), the matter would go to an arbitrator and I am quite confident Barry wouldn't miss a game because of it. So the "investigation" is all a show, folks! Watch Bud's hand so you don't see that he has inaction up his sleeve! Don't ask him why he's not really going to do anything, because if he was honest, he'd have to say as an owner and then commissioner, he wished the problem would go away by itself even as salaries were being determined by how many homers guys hit. Then he tried a fake policy which Congress forced him to upgrade to a decent one--but the better part of a decade too late. I'm sure Bud hopes former Senator Mitchell takes his good old time investigating so the heat dies down.

Jim Albright
                          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Senator Mitchell is LIVE on the air as I write this, with Bud Selig, discussing how the investigation will be conducted.

I have it LIVE on SportsNet NY (Channel 26 on TWC). It does not appear to be on any other channel.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                              For all you folks who have yet to learn to doubt your own infallibility please explain what you would have done about steroid abuse before Congress took an interest? Let me help you out: Not A Damn Thing. Bonds could have been shooting up in you living room and you would have been helpless. The Players Union adamantly refused to accept the idea of random drug testing as an invasion of privacy (e.g. "don't interfere with our constituents ability to pay their dues"). After years of ragging them they finally consented to this p***y ten day suspension crap subject to appeal and arbitration.

The Commissioner and the Owners have a lot to be embarrassed about in this fiasco, but no more than the Players and the Players Union.
                              I agree with the last sentence, but not the prior paragraph. The owners could have bargained to do something that was in the interest of the game. Made the players know it was a deal breaker if they didn't give--but recognize that as owners, they'd have to give some things to get a real policy. They never even tried it because they were too darned interested in either breaking the union or lining their pockets, the future of the game be damned.

As an aside, while the original agreement was the 10 day thing, after Congress turned up the heat, the CBA was amended with the agreement of both sides to 50 games, 100 games, etc.

The union would have gotten its pound of flesh over it, to be sure--but I think if the owners had taken such a stand and really meant it, the union would have dealt with it. Look at what they did when Congress threatened to intervene. Even if you're right and I'm wrong about what the union would have done under those circumstances, at least the owners could have said they tried. What can they say now--that they never thought it would come to this? Or that they just never thought or at least never had the courage to make an issue of it?

Jim Albright
                              Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                              Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                              A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by ESPNFan
                                Who said anythign about not eating? Don't try to throw in qualifiers now to mitigate your obviously erronious statement. Its just nonsensical to think those cancer and HIV patients weren't eating at all when the Anabolics put muscle back on their body's. Stop trying to spin the fact that you are badly misinformed.

Heres an article that details how people with kidney failure increased mass and strenght while taking the steroid nandrolone. There are no intense workouts for these people other than trying to do basic daily tasks.

http://www.docguide.com/dg.nsf/Print...256752006569B7

There is also a study done that details the gains of HIV patients with a moderate exsercise program.

These people can't sped hours in the gym or push themselves greatly. But thier benift form Steroids are documented.

Another link
                                http://www.hbns.org/getDocument.cfm?documentID=1170

Actually your the one who's misinformed, and judging by your horrible spelling, I doubt you work at a cancer research center.

Steroids when used improperly without properly eating, or properly working out, will NOT help you build muscle, it would put on weight, yes, but that's water retention. Jason giambi had this problem, terrible diet, not a big workout machine, jose canseco even pointed out how " odd " his body looked, and specifically said he had NO definition at all, he was bloated.

Canseco said that Giambi overused steroids and human growth hormone and got "so bloated, it was unbelievable."

"There was no definition to his body at all," Canseco wrote. "You could see the retention of liquids, especially in his neck and face; to those in the know, that was a sure sign of steroid overload."

http://www.banderasnews.com/0502/entbk-juiced.htm

And I'm not even going to bring up tom house, a guy who COMPLETLY misused steroids, and pretty much caused himself serious harm.

Also, here's a few articles on steroids, and what they actually do to your body if you don't workout or eat right.

http://www.bodybuilding-supplement-g...ain-myths.html

http://tm.ask.com/r?t=an&s=a&uid=0FB...f%25201997.htm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X