Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB To Investigate Steroid Use By Players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Baseball Fever, Death Taco. You can make your valid point, please, withiout getting personal. We don't do that here.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
      Welcome to Baseball Fever, Death Taco. You can make your valid point, please, withiout getting personal. We don't do that here.
      My apologies, but I just dont like when people call others misinformed, when they themselves are misinformed.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, this site is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco De Muerte
        Steroids when used improperly without properly eating, or properly working out, will NOT help you build muscle, it would put on weight, yes, but that's water retention.
        Is that a run-on sentence?

Steroids, when used improperly without proper eating or proper work outs, will NOT help you build muscle; you would put on weight, yes, but that's water retention.

How's that?

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Steroids were baned before 2002 by MLB. MLB just didn't get around to testing for them until the 2003 season.

It is true though that Selig and the owners shouldn't take the full blame. The players union and the players themselves need to take half the blame here too.

I sure would hate to be any of these guys the first time a player or former player dies prematurely due to steroid use. I wouldn't want that on my mind.
          Last edited by chrismarullo; 03-30-2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Bud used the key words Integrity, Ethical, and Trust to explain his position, and added he has been working on this issue for 8 years.

Mattingly wondered if George Mitchell, a Director for the Red Sox, was a wise choice. I don't think Giambi or Sheffield are happy today, but for Barry Bonds at least it is an AL person in charge. What if Mitchell discovers an active Red Sox player that has used steroids?

The talking heads jumped in after the news conference ended to predict the future. I don't think there is anybody that follows baseball that really knows what is going to happen. Selig was asked some terrific questions...he will disclose every player's name that reportedly used steroids, and he will give Mitchell full latitude to investigate whatever he uncovers.

Selig mentioned Article 2 and does anyone have an idea what he can invoke under that article?
            "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
            "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              I guess all we might end up being somewhat informed on who the users were. Beyond that I don't know what can be done. The Players Union will insist on any punishment being a subject for negotiation with any assessed penalties subject to appeal and arbitration.

For all you folks who have yet to learn to doubt your own infallibility please explain what you would have done about steroid abuse before Congress took an interest? Let me help you out: Not A Damn Thing. Bonds could have been shooting up in you living room and you would have been helpless. The Players Union adamantly refused to accept the idea of random drug testing as an invasion of privacy (e.g. "don't interfere with our constituents ability to pay their dues"). After years of ragging them they finally consented to this p***y ten day suspension crap subject to appeal and arbitration.

The Commissioner and the Owners have a lot to be embarrassed about in this fiasco, but no more than the Players and the Players Union.

Edited for use of a 4-lettered word.

-Matt
              i agree completely. in fact, i vaguely remember some talk about the owners wanting drug testing in place before all rhetoric and furor started and the union always responded it was an infringement on their rights.

granted, the owners and bud deserve some blame for letting it get out of control but, by far, the players are more deserving of blame in this by playing the legal card far and beyond what they needed to do.

what could or even can the owners and bud do? true, this latest "investigation" is nothing more than a PR move but even if they dig up something serious what can they really do? if they can't find anything in past urine samples (if they are even allowed to examine them) one of the main substances is hgg the only known way to detect that now is through a blood test and they didn't and don't take blood samples. what could possibly be even before 2002 when they a) didn't have any collective bargaining agreement with rules and penalties about PED's and b) how would they even be able to prove definitively someone was on the juice.

the main thing after the fact, also, is that players union will fight tooth and nail and i would be highly surprised if they lost whatever they choose to fight because their past record in legal matters is unparalleled, they usually have the law on their side and their lawyers are some of the best in the world especially when it comes to finding loopholes.

what steams me about this is that the same people who said absolutely nothing about this, jumped all over this when the stories first broke criticized bud and company for not doing anything about it and then claim it's a PR move when when bud and crew say they are going to investigate yet they would've been calling for his head and calling him a coverup artist if he didn't start an investigation.
              My agenda: to eliminate the double-standard that so many thrive on

WHAT WOULD BE A "REVOLUTION" WOULD BE ACTUALLY CLEANING UP YOUR OWN MESS AND PROBLEMS, TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROBLEMS YOU AND YOU ALONE CREATED AND STOP BLAMING OTHERS FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS...NOW THAT'S A REVOLUTION.

The greatest men to use a wooden stick: Babe Ruth, Ted Willaims, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Barry Bonds, Sydney Crosby and Buddy Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                "Mitchell is the chairman of the board of the Walt Disney Company, the parent company of ESPN."

Remind me again what was found last time DISNEY was investigated? Isn't this the same guy who helped prepare that economic state of the game report that was so unapologetically biased in favor of the owners that it the MLBPA laughed it out of consideration?...

Look, MLB needs to just take this one on the chin. Apologize for falling asleep at the switch (even though they were really co-conspirators in the pulling of the switch). They should implement a really strong policy, with better testing methods and show faith in the fans. Just say that they have enough faith in their fans that the fans should be able to draw their own conclusions about the legitimacy of all records.

The investigation is a Pandora's Box, and MLB would be better off pleading to start anew.
                Last edited by digglahhh; 03-30-2006, 06:10 PM.
                THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarullo
                  Steroids were baned before 2002 by MLB. MLB just didn't get around to testing for them until the 2003 season.

It is true though that Selig and the owners shouldn't take the full blame. The players union and the players themselves need to take half the blame here too.
                  Everybody's guilty, including the fans, many of whom igored the obvious and praised the recent home run record charges for saving the game. Any knowledgable fan should have been able to see right through that, but most gave baseball a free pass. No one was pressuring mlb (or their congresspeople) to look into this when McGwire and Sammy were having their lovefest with America. I didn't buy it from the start, it didn't take an expert to know there was something fishy going on.

All that being said, I'm of the camp that says there's nothing you can do about it now, and I'm not in favor of asterisks or taking away anyone's records.
                  "You should enter a ballpark the way you enter a church." - Bill Spaceman Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Taco De Muerte
                    Actually your the one who's misinformed, and judging by your horrible spelling, I doubt you work at a cancer research center.

Steroids when used improperly without properly eating, or properly working out, will NOT help you build muscle, it would put on weight, yes, but that's water retention. Jason giambi had this problem, terrible diet, not a big workout machine, jose canseco even pointed out how " odd " his body looked, and specifically said he had NO definition at all, he was bloated.

Canseco said that Giambi overused steroids and human growth hormone and got "so bloated, it was unbelievable."

"There was no definition to his body at all," Canseco wrote. "You could see the retention of liquids, especially in his neck and face; to those in the know, that was a sure sign of steroid overload."

http://www.banderasnews.com/0502/entbk-juiced.htm

And I'm not even going to bring up tom house, a guy who COMPLETLY misused steroids, and pretty much caused himself serious harm.

Also, here's a few articles on steroids, and what they actually do to your body if you don't workout or eat right.

http://www.bodybuilding-supplement-g...ain-myths.html

http://tm.ask.com/r?t=an&s=a&uid=0FB...f%25201997.htm

I'll just simply point out that Jason Giambi overdoing a myriad of Anabolic substances has nothing to do with people gaining weight from carefully monitored Steroid supplimentation to counter act conditions that promote catabolic wasting.

I'll also point out that of the non Giambi links you posted, one was an advertisement for the book Maximum weight gain and the other was from something entitled "Commonly asked questions of 1997" which probably wouldn't relfect the study I listed from 1999, but that's just an educated guess. Top notch sources.

Oh and I'll be sure to inform The Researchers/Doctors/ and postdocs that I work with who have greater spelling difficluty than mine that someone named "Taco" claimed we shouldn't be working there. Thank god for Internet Experts.
                    Get out the Vote!!!

Comment

espnfan, do you think that 15+ years of regularly scheduled steroid use without harm is a long enough time to state that steroids, if taken in moderate doses, cause no harm?
                      15+ consecutive years of several (or more) cycles per year of potent steroids.
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

TonyK: Selig mentioned Article 2 and does anyone have an idea what he can invoke under that article?

you sure that selig referred to article II?
                        article II (titled "recognition") simply states that the clubs recognize the player association as the sole and exclusive bargaining agent for the players.

article XXII, though, is titled "management rights", and reads:
                        "nothing in this agreement shall be construed to restrict the rights of clubs to manage and direct their operations in any manner whatsoever except as specifically limited by the terms of this agreement."

this sounds like something to which selig would refer, tonyk.

hope this helps.
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

cooperation

Bonds is refusing to cooperate could he be suspended for that alone?
                          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Ashburn1
                            Everybody's guilty, including the fans, many of whom igored the obvious .
                            Ignored the obvious, the fans, so that shifts some blame off those who used steroids. That one is getting worn out, those that chose to go down that road are the one's to blame.

Comment

Let's just see how the investigation goes, okay?

Comment

Use a broad brush when using tar for feather application

Originally posted by Mattingly
                                While it may sound like a great idea, and it's very imaginative to have even thought of this, but I'm curious, what is the consequence if an ump, a manager, a coach or a team owner uses steroids.
                                Likely the same consequences of a player who retired two, five or fifty years ago that couldn't stop using illegal substances would face. If you notice, I didn't confine my remarks to only steroids, but rather all illegal substances If Selig, in his sincere ignorance, wants to truly clean up the game, including his ludricous pursuit of the ills in the past few years (under his supposed stewardship), he should test absolutely everyone. Not just for steroids, which is why I view this with jaundiced cynicism as little more than a witch hunt after a few target players. Test everyone for everything, and subject the trainers, umps, coaches, managers, clubbies, team physicians, scouts, execs, special assisitants, and broadcasters/writers to the same rigors, and guess what? There would be dozens, hundreds, or perhaps thousands of dirty samples dropped posthaste. Not for steroids, primarily, but for opiates, barbituates, amphetamines, hallucinogens, cannabanoids, and while currently legal: active alcohol. If broadcasters and writers were tested for booze during games, how many of them do you think would reach the .08 or .10 threshold for intoxication by the ninth? How many other functioning alcoholics among baseball's ranks wouldn't pass a sobriety test during any given point during the season while at the park? Double standards abound.

A certain unnamed owner of a successful sports franchise was recently admitted to rehab for substance abuse, and his multiple doctors and pharmacists are being scrutinized, fined, stripped of their licences, and facing criminal charges for their role in getting him horribly addicted and profiting from his abuse of oxycodone. One pharmacy was providing him with upwards of a month's worth of pills twice a week, and he was shopping doctors and other pharmacies to obtain even more. Several others team execs have admitted that they had become addicted to prince valium to sleep, or whites and greens to get themselves going in the a.m., or both. Evidence suggests they are not alone among the bored wealthy that happen to own or run pro sports teams, and seem to function quite well in spite of their illegal substance abuses. Synthetic painkillers seem to be the drug du jour for the moment. While sparking the doob on occasion is quite harmless by most estimations, ballplayers get suspended for a positive pee sample, while all others avoid even an examination unless involved in a crash or other infraction and weed is found as a later result. Why not drop everyone tommorrow to see how pervasive the drug problem, not just peds, really has become in MLB? Sounds better than Bud's plan to me.

Perhaps the thing that disturbs me the most, and I think I heard Marty Brenneman allude to it yesterday, is the timing of this whole "investigation." What more caca del toro does one need to recognize that this comes on the heels of the WBC, rather than during or before, and comes immediately after several of MLB's biggest sponsors just pledged not to give the commissioner or baseball a dime in promotional money for any celebration of the possible impending chase of the Ruth then Aaron records. Meanwhile, puppet Selig spent the first five minutes of the press conference reviewing what a great job he has done for exactly how long to clean up this aspect of the game. I almost wanted to cry at the blatant disregard of the truth being spouted, but instead I waited until the Reds v. Red Sox game was rejoined in progress, and then I felt a little better.

Yes, baseball has survived far worse circumstances, but I can't think of a better way to hasten recovery than installing competent leadership right freaking now. Can you?
                                Last edited by trosmok; 03-31-2006, 07:31 AM.
                                Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X