Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Fans in MLB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB
    May I ask WHY the FANS of the TEAMS of YESTERYEAR are being excluded from this discussion?

    Isn't that a form of discrimination?

    c.
    Since those teams are no longer around, I felt no need to put hem on here. Of course though the Brooklyn Dodgers fall under the name "Dodgers", I did not put "Los Angeles Dodgers" so I guess that's how it works. Though for the Montreal Expos, I guess that's a different story so I'll have to adjust it when I'll end up doing this again in the near future.
    Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by nascarfn5
      Since those teams are no longer around, I felt no need to put hem on here. Of course though the Brooklyn Dodgers fall under the name "Dodgers", I did not put "Los Angeles Dodgers" so I guess that's how it works. Though for the Montreal Expos, I guess that's a different story so I'll have to adjust it when I'll end up doing this again in the near future.
      Point of information, for future reference, nascarfn5, OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS do NOT "fall under the name "Dodgers". WE are NOT part of that west coast group; never have been...and never will be. OUR TEAM STANDS ALONE!

      So, if I am reading you right, nascarfn5, what you are saying is that the loyal FANS of the TEAMS of YESTERYEAR don't matter.

      c.
      Last edited by DODGER DEB; 03-31-2006, 12:11 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by DODGER DEB
        Point of information, for future reference, nascarfn5, OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS do NOT "fall under the name "Dodgers". WE are NOT part of that west coast group; never have been...and never will be. OUR TEAM STANDS ALONE!

        So, if I am reading you right, nascarfn5, what you are saying is that the loyal FANS of the TEAMS of YESTERYEAR don't matter.

        c.



        c.
        I am sorry for this, when and if I do this again, I'll include the Teams of Yesteryear. These teams do matter though because are a rich part of Major League Baseball history. It is just when I did this poll, I was only thinking of current MLB teams. Brooklyn Dodger fans are great because even though they don't have a current team, the team always plays in their hearts. I also say this about NY Giants fans, Montreal Expos fans , fans of the Braves teams of old, and fans of the Athletic teams of old (if I'm forgetting any teams, I'm sorry).
        Unlike most other team sports, in which teams usually have an equivalent number of players on the field at any given time, in baseball the hitting team is at a numerical disadvantage, with a maximum of 5 players and 2 base coaches on the field at any time, compared to the fielding team's 9 players. For this reason, leaving the dugout to join a fight is generally considered acceptable in that it results in numerical equivalence on the field, and a fairer fight.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by nascarfn5
          I am sorry for this, when and if I do this again, I'll include the Teams of Yesteryear. These teams do matter though because are a rich part of Major League Baseball history. It is just when I did this poll, I was only thinking of current MLB teams. Brooklyn Dodger fans are great because even though they don't have a current team, the team always plays in their hearts. I also say this about NY Giants fans, Montreal Expos fans , fans of the Braves teams of old, and fans of the Athletic teams of old (if I'm forgetting any teams, I'm sorry).
          Trust me on this, Deb does *NOT* feel that the Brooklyn franchise continued into Los Angeles. I can tell you that she feels it began and ended in Brooklyn. That LAD team merely bought the name.

          Perhaps a separate thread for fans of Yesteryear? Dodger Deb, if you agree, would you mind posting such a thread? I'm thinking that perhaps nascar made a simple oversight, despite not realizing the extent of such an oversight.

          Anyway, for current teams, when Tino was playing there and they'd visited Yankee Stadium, there was a sizeable crowd, due to Tino's popularity here. That was the first time I'd ever seen visiting fans wear old jerseys, including Stan the Man, Gibson, Brock, Slaughter, McGwire, etc.

          Granted it was a weekend series, which other fans of teams at least a thousand miles away travel that far and wear all their gear from players long since retired?
          Last edited by Mattingly; 03-31-2006, 12:14 PM.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

          Comment


          • #20
            I went to WashU in StL and now live near enough to Boston to consider myself to still be in the heart of Bosox territory. Both sets of fans are amazing, but I honestly have to give the nod to StL because they are less negative. I'm not really a Cards fan, but I am a fan of their fans, if you know what I mean.
            This is not a slam on Bosox fans, I'm with you guys and am pulling 100% for our team!!
            Rangers definitely had the worst fans of any place I've been.
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Mattingly
              Trust me on this, Deb does *NOT* feel that the Brooklyn franchise continued into Los Angeles. I can tell you that she feels it began and ended in Brooklyn. That LAD team merely bought the name.

              Perhaps a separate thread for fans of Yesteryear? Dodger Deb, if you agree, would you mind posting such a thread? I'm thinking that perhaps nascar made a simple oversight, despite not realizing the extent of such an oversight.

              I see absolutely no reason WHY there should be a separate poll, Matt.

              We are all baseball fans here, no matter who we cheer for, past or present. Baseball is baseball..and fans are fans! I thought that was the premise of BBF!

              While I will accept that it was an "oversight" on nascar's part, I say throw all the BBF teams into the mix and let the chips fall where they may.

              One correction please, Matt......that west coast group did NOT "buy" OUR NAME (DODGERS)....they STOLE IT!

              c.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by runningshoes53
                I'm telling you; you're a closet Red Sox fan.

                It's ok to take the next step, Chris. There's no need to stay on the Dark Side.

                If we took Anakin back, we can take you as well.
                NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Troy!!!

                I am sure you will torture me by forcing me to wear a Red Sox cap and a Red Sox jersey. NEVAH!!!

                But you are invited to join the winningest team ever. We are used to winning more than once in every 86 years.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by hellborn
                  Both sets of fans are amazing, but I honestly have to give the nod to StL because they are less negative.
                  I hear you, hellborn, but I think it's a consequence of the depth of some Boston fans' passion. Clearly, I'm a biased source, but I really don't believe there is a more fiercely loyal fan base than Boston's.
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                    I see absolutely no reason WHY there should be a separate poll, Matt.

                    We are all baseball fans here, no matter who we cheer for, past or present. Baseball is baseball..and fans are fans! I thought that was the premise of BBF!

                    While I will accept that it was an "oversight" on nascar's part, I say throw all the BBF teams into the mix and let the chips fall where they may.

                    One correction please, Matt......that west coast group did NOT "buy" OUR NAME (DODGERS)....they STOLE IT!

                    c.
                    In that case, between yourself and nascar as to whether other team names should be added to the poll. It would be a late start, so the top vote-getters would automatically have more to begin with.

                    I'll stand corrected that the word "bought" should not be used, but rather "STOLEN" is the proper word.

                    I've noticed you haven't lost any of your edge, now have ya?
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by SoxSon
                      I hear you, hellborn, but I think it's a consequence of the depth of some Boston fans' passion. Clearly, I'm a biased source, but I really don't believe there is a more fiercely loyal fan base than Boston's.
                      So how come they *NEVER* wear retired players' jerseys at games? It's always been about Manny, Pedro, Ortiz, Tek, Nixon, and in the past, Nomah. Where are the Yaz, Teddy, Pesky, Doerr, Fisk, Oil Can, Rice, Remy, Lynn and Dewey jerseys?

                      Man, that just kills me that these guys' jerseys aren't worn at games, in favor of the current teams.
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mattingly
                        So how come they *NEVER* wear retired players' jerseys at games? It's always been about Manny, Pedro, Ortiz, Tek, Nixon, and in the past, Nomah. Where are the Yaz, Teddy, Pesky, Doerr, Fisk, Oil Can, Rice, Remy, Lynn and Dewey jerseys?

                        Man, that just kills me that these guys' jerseys aren't worn at games, in favor of the current teams.
                        I don't know what games you've been to, but I see the old fellas every time I go to Fenway.
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by runningshoes53
                          I'm telling you; you're a closet Red Sox fan.

                          It's ok to take the next step, Chris. There's no need to stay on the Dark Side.

                          If we took Anakin back, we can take you as well.
                          I'm tellin' ya, y'all Beantowners keep yer paws off the Yankee fans. Get yer own.
                          Originally posted by yankees rule
                          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Troy!!!

                          I am sure you will torture me by forcing me to wear a Red Sox cap and a Red Sox jersey. NEVAH!!!

                          But you are invited to join the winningest team ever. We are used to winning more than once in every 86 years.
                          Atta boy.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by SoxSon
                            I don't know what games you've been to, but I see the old fellas every time I go to Fenway.
                            The ones somewhere at Evil Empire Headquarters. You know, at 161 & River. How come they never wear those older retired jerseys back then? Why always the new guys?

                            Or were you talking old fans?
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I think the best fans are anyone that sticks with consistently losing small-market teams like the Devil Rays, Pirates, Royals, etc. That said, if I had to pick just one team I guess it would be the Red Sox although they have picked up a lot of annoying frontrunners the last few years. Cards are a good choice, but I find it hard to reward anyone for being loyal to a franchise that's been as successful as theirs (ditto for the Yanks). Also, I don't think anyone should vote for their own teams but I guess it's too late for that.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by yankees rule
                                NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Troy!!!

                                I am sure you will torture me by forcing me to wear a Red Sox cap and a Red Sox jersey. NEVAH!!!

                                But you are invited to join the winningest team ever. We are used to winning more than once in every 86 years.
                                See that?

                                He used Red Font!

                                Closet Red Sox fan, indeed.
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X